Author Topic: Heightmap problem!(Needs help)  (Read 1372 times)

Offline luckybirdy4

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Was that me? Oops.
    • View Profile
Heightmap problem!(Needs help)
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:11 pm »
Ok so when I load my heightmap I made on map maker it doesnt work and it worked before.I put it in terrainsand its a .png saved file. And I I thought it was just a update problem that wouldgeet fixed in time but it hasent D: And I amsuposed to have done a request map and it was suposed to be done by yesterday at the latest. D:
If I cant use map heights then my mapping days will be over!And thats the only thing im good at.

So please mr and mrs forum people help me.   D:

Ohand if you do makesure ou explain it really simplecause I have ADD

So I might not understand tecnical terms very much.

Offline Hamilton

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 102
  • Stand your ground.
    • View Profile
Re: Heightmap problem!(Needs help)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:05 pm »
Height-maps must be:

513X513
grey-scaled either by an option in a drop menu or in optimized saving
a flattened image (no transparencies, no layers)

Offline luckybirdy4

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Was that me? Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:57:53 am »
I saw that help thread that said that hammy but i cant figure out how to make it greyscale I cant figure out whatoptions to go to look for it in

Offline Arystina

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:40:19 am »
If you use Gimp (though if you're a Photoshop user, I'm sure the way to do this is similar), go to File-> New. A grey box should pop up where you can put the image size and whatnot...underneath all that, there should be a small plus sign with the words "Advanced Settings" right next to it. Click that,  and where is says Color Space - RGB color, change it to Greyscale, then click Ok. That's all there is to it. :)

Also be aware that if you create any layers on your height map, do NOT 'merge' them together. 'Flatten' the image  instead (this is ONLY is you add layers though), otherwise your height map won't work.

Hope that helps!

Offline Hamilton

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 102
  • Stand your ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 03:56:10 pm »
in paintshop pro (though it seems to be not as widely used) to turn any image to grey-scale the option is in the 'image' menu in the top toolbar.

you can also export your image directly to grey-scale png file from the 'file' menu. there will be, near the end, two sub menus 'import' and 'export'. hover over 'export' to get the options of optimized gif, optimized jpg, and optimized png. The optimize wizard for the format you chose will open and among it's options will be to save as grey-scale.

MSpaint does not have a grey-scale feature, to my knowledge.