Author Topic: Stat Bars Proposal  (Read 4871 times)

CrimCanis

Stat Bars Proposal
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:17:11 am »
I'm not sure if they're planned to be added in eventually or not but! I have an idea if they're not.

Feral Heart doesn't feel like much of a game. I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just being honest. But let's face it. There's no goals or, well, there's actually nothing to do that involves actual gaming. RPing can be achieved just as successfully on a forum (if not better, since there's no constant dcing or lag between RPers on a forum) than in the FH game.

Adding in a stat bar would make the game more interesting and engaging. It would give players something to do and allow them to manage their character's strengths without having to add in experience and levels and making it another grind. I see a lot of worry about FH becoming another grind and level game. This idea will prevent that from happening.

"Well how would that work?" you may be wondering. It's fairly simple.

- - -

Red = HP
Yellow = Stamina
Orange = Hunger
Blue = Thirst

Let's assume all stat points start at 100 except for HP. HP will be 150.

HP
Your HP (Hit/Health Point) bar is basically a bar determining how much damage your character can take before being knocked "unconscious". If your HP bar hits 0, your character is put into a dead/KO'd like state for a certain amount of time. Let's theoretically say 10 minutes real time. This presents a penalty for taking too much damage but it is not too harsh a penalty. After 10 minutes, you will revive with a certain amount of HP regained. Let's say about 10 to 15 points. Eating and drinking (this will be further explained) will allow for gradual regeneration of HP.

Stamina
Your stamina bar determines how much activity your character can do at one time. Running, jumping, roaring and other actions would take a certain amount of stamina to do. For example:
Walking: this takes 0 stamina to do.
Running: your stamina gradually decreases at -1 per 1 second of running.
Jumping: you lose -5 stamina.
Resting will allow for gradual regeneration of stamina.

Hunger (Until prey is added into FH this bar should not be implemented.)
You hunger bar will be a gradually decreasing bar. Lets say it decreases at a rate of -1 point for every 30 seconds. This would allow you to find something to eat within 50 minutes real time if you start from 100 hunger before reaching 0. So why should you worry about hunger? Here comes the fun part. Your hunger bar will be directly linked to your HP bar. Every point you lose from your hunger bar is subtracted from your HP bar. If your hunger bar reaches 0 you will be knocked unconscious just like if you were to reach 0 on your HP bar. When you revive, you regain 10 to 15 points back as well. Naturally, eating would be the the only way to recover hunger.

Thirst
Very similar to the Hunger bar. The only difference would be a faster decreasing rate and method of regaining thirst. -1 point for every 15 seconds would allow for 25 minutes real time if you start from 100 thirst before reaching 0. Reaching 0 would result in the 10 minute unconscious penalty and after revival, 10 to 15 points would be regained. Drinking water would be the only way to recover thirst.

- - -

Keeping your character well fed and quenched will allow your character to keep a higher HP bar. If pvp is ever released, keeping a higher HP bar would mean being able to take more damage. A limit on stamina would also support a strategical approach to pvping and hunting. You're not going to be able to sit down and recover stamina during a fight or hunt so you'd have to be smart and plan out your attack to best use your amount of stamina. It would also support a differing attack system. For example: using a claw swipe would only take -5 stamina but a lunging bite attack would take -15. This would keep players from spamming the strongest attack to win and allow for different styles of combat. One player might want to be fast at combat so they'd run to avoid attacks and use claw swipes while another might rely on their well-kept HP bar to tank attacks instead so that they can deal stronger attacks.

Your success will be dependent on how well you manage your character's stat bars and how skilled you are at strategical attacking or working with other players in hunts. No levels or experience would be needed. FH would feel like a game without being another grinding MMO game.

Anywho, that is my idea. I believe it best presents the "realism" that Kovu wanted. If you have any suggestions, criticisms or opinions, feel free to type them out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:19:14 am by CrimCanis »

Offline Peter

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Stat Bars Proposal
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:41:54 pm »
Nice idea! I support.

Offline HowlStar

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »
I like your ideas, but it might get annoying to players if their characters are unconscious for 10 minutes. And, what if, like WolfQuest, you could change the speed, stamina, strength, and any other abilities of your char?
FORMERLY KNOWN AS LARKA

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:07:13 pm »
Exactly what Larka said. I do like these ideas, but instead I would leave Stamina out, because each character is unique, and therefore every character will have a limit. My character Zaroque does not have any Stamina limits so I would stick to hunger and thirst once hunting comes out. C:
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

CrimCanis

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:44 pm »
I like your ideas, but it might get annoying to players if their characters are unconscious for 10 minutes. And, what if, like WolfQuest, you could change the speed, stamina, strength, and any other abilities of your char?

The penalty could be reduced to 5 minutes or 3 minutes. Most of the numbers in my posts can be changed to best fit what people want. They were mostly examples.

I don't see Feral Heart becoming like WolfQuest. If it ever does and uses the same slider system then this system still works.  If you want your character to be stronger (have more hp points) then you'd have to give up stam points in exchange for example. Naturally, there would be a limit to this.

Exactly what Larka said. I do like these ideas, but instead I would leave Stamina out, because each character is unique, and therefore every character will have a limit. My character Zaroque does not have any Stamina limits so I would stick to hunger and thirst once hunting comes out. C:

That's not realistic though. If pvp ever comes out, not having a stamina limit will result in players just spamming the strongest attack to win. Pvp would become a spamfest. What would be the point of abilities if you could just spam the best one?

If prey comes out and there's no stamina limit then a player can just chase prey to the corner of the map, trap it there and not worry about having to work with others or play it smart to eat. Without stamina there's really no point in having any of these stat bars at all. There would be no challenge and you could essentially just spam your way to victory.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:51:50 pm by CrimCanis »

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 01:08:52 pm »
Crim, I have my opinion and I don't except it to be thrown out a window.

Wolf Quest had limited imagination because it was realistic. Either you should have an on or off button when it comes to having a stamina bar of any sort of bars. My character is not realistic, therefore she has different points to a REALISTIC character.
Also, I wouldn't essentially become spam, I did like the point of speed, hunger and thirst. But having limitations is why I left WQ for good, I don't think FH should become the same.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 01:30:09 pm »

The penalty could be reduced to 5 minutes or 3 minutes. Most of the numbers in my posts can be changed to best fit what people want. They were mostly examples.

I don't see Feral Heart becoming like WolfQuest. If it ever does and uses the same slider system then this system still works.  If you want your character to be stronger (have more hp points) then you'd have to give up stam points in exchange for example. Naturally, there would be a limit to this.

That's not realistic though.

At what point did FeralHeart become realistic? Just curious. Because I'm pretty sure I have never seen green lions in the real world XDDDD

But seriously, I don't agree. Some people roleplay, and they wouldn't like being interupted by being forced to go off and feed or drink water, and I sure would hate to have to wait before I can can do something like jumping and running.

I mean, it's well thought out and all, but it seems to just suck the fun out of the game. And as Zaroque said, being limited by all this stuff makes people give up and quit. The point of Feralheart in my opinion is freedom.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

CrimCanis

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 12:29:41 am »
Crim, I have my opinion and I don't except it to be thrown out a window.

Wolf Quest had limited imagination because it was realistic. Either you should have an on or off button when it comes to having a stamina bar of any sort of bars. My character is not realistic, therefore she has different points to a REALISTIC character.
Also, I wouldn't essentially become spam, I did like the point of speed, hunger and thirst. But having limitations is why I left WQ for good, I don't think FH should become the same.

I didn't throw your opinion out the window. If I had done that I wouldn't have replied to you at all.

You can do the exact same thing you do in FH as you can do in WQ except for the customization. What can you do in FH? You can run, jump, dance, roar/howl, and some emotes. What can you do in WQ? You can run, jump, wag tail, and howl. The stat bars are easily, EASILY managed due to the extreme amount of carcasses around.  You can't even hunt in that game because of the overload that causes other players to crash. People playing WQ do the exact same RPing as they do in FH because they can't do anything else. That's why I left it. It was beyond boring.

Your most valid excuse for not wanting a stamina bar is because "my character doesn't have one so I don't want one" but you don't realize that without the stamina bar, there is no point in any of these bars. Without stamina there would an enormous imbalance. You are trying to limit an entire player base just for your character. That's kind of selfish, no offense.

inb4 another bite, btw.

At what point did FeralHeart become realistic? Just curious. Because I'm pretty sure I have never seen green lions in the real world XDDDD

FeralHeart MMORPG Interview Part1

You can start with those. He basically explains that the game itself is meant to be realistic or "feral" but the freedom people take with their own characters is up to the people. The removal of pets, wings and items was also to keep the game realistic.

But seriously, I don't agree. Some people roleplay, and they wouldn't like being interupted by being forced to go off and feed or drink water, and I sure would hate to have to wait before I can can do something like jumping and running.

I mean, it's well thought out and all, but it seems to just suck the fun out of the game. And as Zaroque said, being limited by all this stuff makes people give up and quit. The point of Feralheart in my opinion is freedom.

I don't really see how stat bars can become a limitation compared to what we are limited to now. If anything, they would enhance roleplaying because you'd have a reason to do things with people. Packs/prides would have a reason to visit watering holes and rouges would have a reason to be wandering about instead of just sitting afk all day waiting for someone to wander into their den to start RPing. These stat bars would not at all be difficult to manage and if you do end up getting the very short penalty then you were obviously just afking all day. They will not be too hard for the game at all.

The actual activity level in this game is extremely low compared to any other game I've played because nobody has to do anything. I'm presenting an idea that would fix that to a degree. I love this game and I know it has more potential to be better than what it is now.

I want to see Feral Heart alive with players actually doing stuff with other people besides typing into a chat box. I want to see Feral Heart be an actual game and not an imaginary wonderland. Said imaginary wonderland can be better achieved through forum RPing or even in my own head than through FH.

We can argue all day about what the point of FH is but the only point of FH is up to Kovu and his team, the creators. Not us.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:42:03 am by CrimCanis »

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:41:26 am »

You can start with those. He basically explains that the game itself is meant to be realistic or "feral" but the freedom people take with their own characters is up to the people. The removal of pets, wings and items was also to keep the game realistic.

That would be a good explanation if Kovu hadn't announced wings were going to be added 3 months ago, saying that it WASN'T because of realism but because he had stuffed up the gravity coding or something so they COULDN'T be implemented. Thus realism was never the reason. And I'm pretty sure it was realistic ANATOMY not realistic all over, thus the BODIES look more realistic than in IT.

We can argue all day about what the point of FH is but the only point of FH is up to Kovu and his team, the creators. Not us.

There is no team, just KovuLKD.

I want to see Feral Heart be an actual game and not an imaginary wonderland. Said imaginary wonderland can be better achieved through forum RPing or even in my own head than through FH.

Well, that's the minorities opinion, the majority do it well. and some even do it better than in the forum on there. So it can be done better on the forum goes out the window. It seems to me you are saying ingame roleplayers can be stuffed and go on forum because you want REALISM.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

CrimCanis

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:58:59 am »
That would be a good explanation if Kovu hadn't announced wings were going to be added 3 months ago, saying that it WASN'T because of realism but because he had stuffed up the gravity coding or something so they COULDN'T be implemented. Thus realism was never the reason. And I'm pretty sure it was realistic ANATOMY not realistic all over, thus the BODIES look more realistic than in IT.

I haven't been playing for the longest time but even I know that Kovu only said he was going to implement wings because so many players cried their hearts out over them. I still don't see any wings.

There is no team, just KovuLKD.

http://feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=13867.60

Bottom of the page.

Well, that's the minorities opinion, the majority do it well. and some even do it better than in the forum on there. So it can be done better on the forum goes out the window. It seems to me you are saying ingame roleplayers can be stuffed and go on forum because you want REALISM.

And you want FH to stay as stale as it is now because of ~IMAGINATION~.

Not once did I say that in-game roleplayers can be thrown onto the forum though. Don't put typing beneath my fingertips. I roleplay just as much as anyone else in-game and with an entire pride. Even I can see that this system would greatly benefit in-game roleplayers just as much as someone who doesn't roleplay. How you can't seem to see that is entirely baffling to me.