Author Topic: More realistic flight!  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Varagena

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: -7
    • View Profile
More realistic flight!
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:17:03 am »
This has been bugging me for a while now.  Flight in FH isn't very realistic at all.  The current animation for flight would be fine for staying in one place or going more slowly, but it's used no matter WHAT the player is doing.  And that just seems so.....unrealistic, like the character is possessed or something.  

So I've come up with an idea.  I diagramed it, too, but I'm planning on using animations done on MMD for showing that once I find a winged wolf PMD.  

First off, flight should be at least a little faster than running.  Also, at normal speed, it would look less akward if the wing flaps weren't so.....slow and unrealistic.  At top speed, the character should LOOK like he or she is flying, head craned foreward, wings beating.....it's hard to explain without a video.  I'll make one soon.  

Second, I have a cool idea: diving.  The character would partially fold his or her (lets go with his) wings and get in a superman-ish position, diving down at a 45 degree angle, gliding just above the ground or water when he gets down there until you toggle the flight off.  And, just because it's awesome, if he hits a vertical wall (collision box or otherwise), there's a distinct "bonk" and he drops to the ground.  Man, I'd lol if I saw that happen to somebody.  

Third, the spacebar doesn't do anything when you're flying, right?  How 'bout making you dash upwards?  Like, the opposite of dive.  This doesn't even need much explaining, just a powerful beat of the character's wings and he dashes upwards.  

Fourth, it'd be REALLY cool if you could add in a foreward dash--about the same animation as upward, but forewards enstead with the same effect when you hit a wall as if you dive into a wall.  

Fifth, rise and fall need a bit more realisticness to them--while not moving in any direction rising and falling needs no extra animation.  However, when moving forewards, when rising, the player should tilt upwards, and downwards when falling.  Please remember that this is still mid-flight I'm talking about.  

Finally, a few tricks like doing a loop or twirling in midair would be great, but optional.  

What do you think?  

Video (hopefully) coming soon.  
I see you.....MWAHAHAHAHA.

wolfgirl56

Re: More realistic flight!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:20:16 am »
I totally agree with this idea, the flights are unrealistic, and it would be nice for the character to fly realistically and do those tricks you mentioned.

Offline Varagena

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:38:01 am »
I totally agree with this idea, the flights are unrealistic, and it would be nice for the character to fly realistically and do those tricks you mentioned.

Thanks for the support!  Wow, this forum is faster than I expected.....

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50:59 am »
If I remember correctly, flight in the original game Impressive Title wasn't too impressive either...hopefully it can be upgraded in the distant future. I honestly don't use wings too often, so it really doesn't effect me, but for those that do I'm sure this drives them a bit batty.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
I'm fine with making flying better, but I think the forward dash should be left out. Those without wings were given dash so that they had something extra as well, to give too many features and extras to the wings is like saying, "you have the option to have wings or not, but wings are the only way to go or you get naught from us!"

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Varagena

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:15:21 pm »
I'm fine with making flying better, but I think the forward dash should be left out. Those without wings were given dash so that they had something extra as well, to give too many features and extras to the wings is like saying, "you have the option to have wings or not, but wings are the only way to go or you get naught from us!"

Okay, I was having trouble seeing how a foreward dash'd be implented anyway. 

brb I'm going to try and figure out how to add a poll