Author Topic: I Need Some Advice for Something thats Happened  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
I Need Some Advice for Something thats Happened
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:29:54 pm »
Its night time, theres a little bit of rain and its a teensy bit chilly. Four tiny kittens have been dumped and abandoned in a bush shrub thing. They were lucky enough to be found by my dads friend, he gave us two and two to our neighbor. They are about less than half a 30 cm ruler.

We dont know where their mum is or if she is alive or missing, we dunno. We have powered milk for kittens and puppies but they wont drink it, im guessing they dont know how to lap properly. They look about 3 weeks old or younger and i have a very good feeling they still need their mothers milk.

Its 11pm and there are no vets around us that would be open, same with any shops that sell pet shops.

Is there anything i or my family could possibly do to help these to unfortunate souls? Help would be very much appreciated, im worried they wont survive the night.

Thank you.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Ramine

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
    • View Profile
    • Ramine on DeviantART
Re: I Need Some Advice for Something thats Happened
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »
Aw.. That is quite a big problem.
If they wont eat soon, I'd try force-feeding them. :/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:38:21 pm by Ramine »

Signature by Delay. <3

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:06 pm »
Well, young cats shouldn't be expected to lap by themselves, it might be best to try and use a syringe (NOT the sharp ones) to pour the milk into the kittens mouths, seeing as you probably wouldn't have a bottle with a teat small enough for kittens? If the kittens still refuse to drink, get some milk into their mouth, and rub their throats, that should encourage them to swallow, and should hopefully get them to realise the milk is drinkable. Try and keep them warm too, perhaps warm their milk up a bit, to about body temperature. When warming milk, shake it thoroughly before testing to make sure there are no hidden hot spots before feeding it to them, as cats are very sensitive when it comes to hot things.

If you need anything, just ask me or shoot a PM my way, I may not have much knowledge in the way of raising Kittens specifically, but I have received two animal care certificates and MIGHT be able to help...

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Ingredient

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:03:25 pm »
Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Unfortunately im in a new country, so our kitchen is not exactly the same as our one in Australia. Its outside and we dont really have anything to warm the milk in. Well nothing i know how to use. Im unsure how to use the stove since its a different language and my dads got a headache, so there wont be any warm milk until my mum gets back. As for the syringe, well......we dont have one of those. At least i dont think so.
Were using a spoon to feed them the milk which is getting a bit cold. Of course its a little big and it gets a little messy.

We were definitely not prepared for this :(

Mum worries about force feeding them, in case they dont swallow it and it goes into their lungs. 

If i was back in my old house in Australia i would straight away do what you said Kyugima ;) Its probably the best thing to do in this situation. Ill wait until my mum gets back, i hope she wont be too tired. Im willing to stay up past 12 for her.

Thanks guys again. Ill be sure to post what happens to them.

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:23:30 pm »
I'll get meh mother onto this, she's a retired nurse (for animalz).

Kyugima suggested something important such as the syringe, but since you don't have one. I would get a small bottle (coke bottle perhaps), fill it with the warm milk from the stove, and try get a teet like cap on it, like baby's have.
Theres a strange trick too, you can turn some artificial flowers into teet's just by flipping them over and making a hole in them.

Also, is there any strange behaviour from the kittens? Its essential you get them onto something warm A.S.A.P. Hot water bottle with a towel over it will do.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Ingredient

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:47:25 pm »
Artificial flowers ya say? I should try that, though im sure my sister wont be happy with me doing that (she owns the flowers). They took a little lap at the milk on the spoon which is good. Were using a soft mat and shredded newspaper as bedding in their little box.

Im not sure what strange behavior is for a kitten. They are eating kitten food now, could you ask your mum if young, tiny kittens are supposed to be eating kitten food, please? My mum owned a stray kitten once but it was too young and couldnt digest food.  Would the same happen to these perhaps?

Just something i should add, i live in Bali now so it gets quite warmish and sometimes very hot.

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:28:53 pm »
Well, behavour classified as in constant head bobbing, closed eyes, non-active reactions to humans.

I will do, but Kitten food has age limits. I'll ask my mother how to classify the age of kittens, I think its by the size of their teeth (and more), I would also check on the internet for some answers. c:
Do this for me and check the colour of their gums, and describe it for me. If their gums are a very pale pink, they are de-hidrated and just a light reddish pink is healthy.

FFF. My mother is on the phone, ze answer will have to wait.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Ingredient

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:50 am »
They have opened eyes, they respond to people, they are a little wobbly on their feet. Those are words from mum. None of us know how to determine the age of a kitten by their teeth.

From the shoulder to the base of the tail is 5 inches or 13 centimeters. Both of them are about that size. I tried looking at their gums but they just wont cooperate. They keep turning their head away.   

Something i noticed with them is that they would kinda of sit and wobble backwards. I dont know if that would be counted as strange behavior or its just something kittens do.

Thanks for that information Zaroque :)

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:56 pm »
Okwi.
Well, its good that they respond in all those ways. Have you tried entertaining them? Its good to see how they behave that way with play.
Cats grow quickly. Much quicker than domestic dogs.
If they have their baby teeth (small and like little needles), they are around 4 - 6 months (I believe).

Har. I've never seen a cat sit back and wobble slightly, but I don't think thats a problem.

'Tis okwi. <3
FFF. My post count isn't raising, its been the same for a long time.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Ingredient

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:15 am »
Well luckily our older kitten keeps them entertained. She plays with them and licks them, though she can get a little rough with the playing. She is also a problem with the food, eating it all and drinking all the milk. My little sister has made a little house for them out of a cardboard box. They like to sleep in that along with us.
I think they have grown a little, i cant really tell. They dont seem to like the powered milk so we mix it up with the kitten food. The vet said try goats milk which is good for them. They might like that better.

Maybe you should ask someone about the posts (not me) i wouldnt have a clue about it.