Author Topic: FeralHeart is being crashy....  (Read 3571 times)

Offline kithawthorne

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
FeralHeart is being crashy....
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:10:08 am »
again.

So I just had a problem with a massmarkings pack.

I had to reinstall FeralHeart.
Before I did, I removed all my important files (maps, presets, meshes) and put them in my documents. Then I deleted my original FeralHeart folder.

I reinstalled.

After I reinstalled, it worked. Untill I put all my important files in. Now it has gone all crashy. Again.

Help? Like, now? Please?

Offline Falconwing

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: FeralHeart is being crashy....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:12:52 am »
I think I've found the solution to this problem.  I have no idea why ... but after uninstalling everything and screwing around with all of the folders, one by one, I discovered that FeralHeart randomly created 2 particle files in the FeralHeart\media\particles folder.   They are named water_0.particle and water_1.particle.  They were created just today by FeralHeart, no idea how or why.  When I removed them from the particle folder, voila, FeralHeart started working again.

My suggestion to you is to check your particle folder for those files.  If they are present, delete them.  Your FH should work again once that is done.

On a side note ... what the hell happened to the OpenGL format FH used to boot up in?   I noticed that that option was no longer available when I was looking at all the possible problems/reasons why FH was no longer working.

CloudFish

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:00:26 am »
You can still render in OpenGL format, you just have to change it manually.

Offline kithawthorne

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:27:47 pm »
Hmmm ok. I'll try that, thanks for letting me know!

Offline kithawthorne

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:36:49 pm »
Well, the two particle files weren't there. Strange. But FeralHeart is still broken

Offline Ramine

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
    • View Profile
    • Ramine on DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:43:37 pm »
When exactly does your game crash? Right after you've opened it, when you've logged in, etc?

Signature by Delay. <3

Offline kithawthorne

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:00:36 pm »
Umm here's what happens:

I click the fh icon
It pops a black screen
And crashes before the logo even appears

Offline Ramine

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
    • View Profile
    • Ramine on DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:19:30 pm »
Alright, you should try changing your rendering system, manually.

How to fix it!
Either you start the game, go into the options menu, click the Video tab, and then change the rendering subsystem and restart the game.

Sometimes you aren't able to even enter the game, and all you can hear is the menu music, or it just crashes directly after launch. Those who experience this can enter the feralheart folder located in C:\FeralHeart at standard, find the file called "Ogre.cfg" and open it with wordpad.

This file works just as the ingame options menu, but instead of buttons and sliders, there's text.

What we're interested in is the top row

Set the top row text so it is just like in the picture with the text
Code: [Select]
Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem
Save the file, and close it. Next time you run the game it should boot with the new settings you applied.

Even though this solves the graphical problems for most, there's still some unlucky ferals out there that the problems still remain for, but there's still 1 more thing you can try, and that is to update your graphic card drivers.

A computer is hardware, and with time it gets old just like any other thing in this world. If you had your computer for a while, and never updated the drivers, this might be the cause for FeralHeart not to work correctly. Installing Drivers for your computer is like installing any other program that it might need, though knowing how to do this might be tricky, so check the tutorial on how to Here!

If you already tried this and it's not working, chances are that your computer is getting old and can't handle the game. Installing drivers might help, but you're still running the same hardware. Try the game on another computer instead.

End~[/left]

Or.. if that wont work, try replacing the selected text in the top row with:

Code: [Select]
Render System=OpenGL Rendering Subsystem

Signature by Delay. <3

Offline kithawthorne

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:41:32 pm »
Changed it to OpenGL, still crashes

CloudFish

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:50:51 pm »
There's obviously something in your 'important' files you're adding to make it crash. I say completely reinstall and then try to slowly add things back in untill you find the source of your crashing. You may also have double files in your objects folder, so check there first.