Author Topic: Thoughts On Wolfspeak?  (Read 24459 times)

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts On Wolfspeak?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »
I, aswell, refuse to Rp with people who use those types of words.

It irritates me so much, because most of the time, you don't understand anything the player is standing. It's like trying to read a different language. I do use a few more complicated words, but I keep it to a minimal. It's just that, some people are TO literate, that it makes me annoyed at there style of RPing.

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 06:46:00 pm »
It would almost be nice if we just divided 'literate' and 'wolfspeak' into two categories and advertised accordingly, same as we do with literate/non-literate. Since some people like to use it, and it tends to read like an entirely different dialect of English, it seems like a logical solution.

Offline Blindstar97

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Return of the Lynx, Part 42
    • casuallykindred
    • blindstar13
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 08:25:45 pm »
There's a fine line between having beautiful, descriptive RP's, and trying to make a new language.  I feel like we're back during Shakespeare's time... darn telephone booths!

Sometimes I'll use a fancy word here or there in a description, but not overly-obsessively like wolfspeak... sheesh.
Protesting lack of lynxyness!
COOL_EPIC_SIG_PIC.jpg
One true lady, one fine lynx

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 08:35:30 pm »
When I'm in a literate roleplay, I often find myself getting a little flowery with my language(gotta love them adjectives!), but wolfspeak has never entered into my vocabulary. It confuses me to no end! Only yesterday, I got into a spontaneous RP with two wolves in a cave, and when one of them described my character as a "brute", the first thing I thought was that they were implying my character was violent and stupid. I had no idea that they simply meant "male wolf".
It would almost be nice if we just divided 'literate' and 'wolfspeak' into two categories and advertised accordingly, same as we do with literate/non-literate. Since some people like to use it, and it tends to read like an entirely different dialect of English, it seems like a logical solution.
I like this suggestion actually, because then everyone could easily enter into/avoid whichever dialect they want.

Offline Okami-Shiranui

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 49
  • "You want to change it, don't you?"
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 05:58:40 pm »
When I'm in a literate roleplay, I often find myself getting a little flowery with my language(gotta love them adjectives!), but wolfspeak has never entered into my vocabulary. It confuses me to no end! Only yesterday, I got into a spontaneous RP with two wolves in a cave, and when one of them described my character as a "brute", the first thing I thought was that they were implying my character was violent and stupid. I had no idea that they simply meant "male wolf".

I agree. I tend to use larger words when posting on the forums and the in-game RP, but I never use wolfspeak. I always end up feeling like I'm in the Medieval times or something. The RPers also make me feel stupid when they describe the word I didn't understand by explaining it so "logically" and like everyone these days should know what it means.

Offline River-White-Wolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • I like dragons, I like Sprite, I like Minecraft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 03:44:24 am »
Personally, I hate Wolfspeak/Horsespeak. I (usually) can't understand a word of it and it generally just annoys me. (I am fine with people saying 'Fae' or 'Brute'. I see it rather often, and I just kind of got used to it.) The only time I ever use Wolfspeak myself is when I'm rping as my Night Crawler character Dark, and even then it's only the word 'orbs' instead of 'eyes'. I do that for descriptive purposes; Dark's eyes are literally neon-green, glowing orbs. It makes sense and I like it.
I am a crazy weirdo, with waaaay too many FH characters and a love of being insane. If you see any mentions of the characters Ruins and Nightshadow, they are a few of my favorite spoof/spazzing/general randomness characters, and I generally use them or at least mention while spazzing about.
In short, I am a crazy maniac. Deal with it.

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 04:37:52 am »
I actually like the terms 'brute' and 'fae'. It gives an animal rp an exotic touch and a feeling of culture, like Richard Adams did iwith his bunny societies in Watership Down.

But I still stand by what I said in my earlier post. I do NOT like Wolfspeak.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline Motoko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Augen auf- Ich komme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:16 am »
I hate wolfspeak, half the "terms" they use are incorrect and make it blatantly obvious they're just grabbing words at random from a thesaurus. Example, I once saw someone use "dial" as a synonym for their wolf's face. However, "dial" only = "face" if you're referring to the face of a CLOCK, not a wolf... Anyone who uses wolfspeak is generally just doing it to look smarter than they are or to fit in, and when half the words they use are wrong, it's stupid.

I never will understand why people would try to make their posts LESS easy to understand. You should make your roleplay interesting with interesting characters, not "interesting" language.

Kill it with fire.
If I feel like being fancy, I raid a thesaurus and still cross-check definitions, but RARELY. I used to use wolfspeak and sometimes still use pelt and a few others, bu nothing as bad as daggers, boa, tassel optics, etc. because that's when it crosses the line into stupid.

It just helps to know proper english when roleplaying. Hell, Femme; "Noun:   
A lesbian or a male homosexual who takes a traditionally feminine sexual role."

Femme Fatale: Noun:   
An attractive and seductive woman, esp. one who will ultimately bring disaster to a man who becomes involved with her.

Femme Fatale can be used, it's not wolfspeak, just... don't misuse it.

Brute: brute/bro?ot/
Noun:   
A savagely violent person or animal: "he was a cold-blooded brute".
Adjective:   
Unreasoning and animallike.

Brute is reasonable to use within limits.

Everything else is just incorrect; I may get fancy with my posts and take my time writing them, but rarely ever do I do... that anymore.

I do like showing up my boyfriend with my posts, though. I hope it eventually rubs off on him. (He's a newbie at roleplaying. me personally? 13 years since Oct. 11th. I just get lazy.)
Caught quicksand grip
Pull me in
Whisper faith in sickness

Offline RavenShai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »
The Hobbit

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" said Thorin to Gandolf as they rode along.
"To look ahead," said he.
"And what brought you back in the nick of time?" "Looking behind,"...

wolfgirl56

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 01:42:08 am »
So this is what wolfspeak is.
Personally, I don't like it. I am on WolfQuest, but I never knew they used wolfspeak.