Author Topic: Thoughts On Wolfspeak?  (Read 24381 times)

Offline Motoko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Augen auf- Ich komme!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts On Wolfspeak?
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 03:16:32 pm »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:18:34 pm by Motoko »
Caught quicksand grip
Pull me in
Whisper faith in sickness

Offline Motoko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Augen auf- Ich komme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 04:19:05 pm »

This, unless you're a godly roleplayer or some type of prodigy and complicated, floofy posts come naturally and quickly to you. And most of the time that doesn't happen. ESPECIALLY in a fast-paced chat.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:52:22 am by LordSuragaha »
Caught quicksand grip
Pull me in

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 11:16:41 pm »
When it comes to using descriptive adjectives, I think there's a fine line when too much is too much. And even then it begins to sound ridiculous.

Personally I think when people start using incredibly "flowery" adjectives, it's offputting because they sound eliteist and showoffy. No offense.

Offline RavenShai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
It's improper use, a metaphor is a metaphor, and those are acceptable when allowed, but in roleplay you don't want to use metaphors too much, or you look like an idiot and/or a showoff, and I find that being able to write with plain english is just perfectly fine, especially when I have experience roleplaying a variety of genres. You learn from roleplaying variety, and also, read some books; look how sentences are constructed to paint a mental image of a scene and learn to do that as well, because a lot of people don't seen to do that.

Hence why I said it isn't that bad if they're not doing it too much x3
I personally, if I wanted to compare my character's tail and teeth like a banner and dagger, would put it in this way:

The scent had carried to her the presence of two, two that were not strangers but allies. Raising her tail like a banner, she smiled softly and quickened her pace. When they came into view her smile had widened, teeth gleaming like daggers in the sunlight.

Typing it the other way was more painful...
Anyway, that's the point I was getting across that some forms of "wolfspeak" I don't mind, and though I have a lot of dislikes about it I've also seen where people go berserk when they see someone else using it, and they're just insulting and criticizing instead of trying to help those people improve especially if they're still new.
The Hobbit

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" said Thorin to Gandolf as they rode along.
"To look ahead," said he.
"And what brought you back in the nick of time?" "Looking behind,"...

Offline Motoko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Augen auf- Ich komme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 05:43:33 am »
Caught quicksand grip
Pull me in

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:40 am »
I will never know why people use "wolfspeak" in wolf roleplays. I would like to know if it was inspired from a novel, or a book, or.... who know's what?
I also wonder why they can't use words like "she-wolf" "eyes" etc.
My answer is, I'm not a fan of it. I NEVER use it whenever I do any wolf roleplays.
Inactive

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 08:26:32 am »
Ever since I discovered what 'Wolfspeak' was, I stopped using it. I found out when I joined one of CloudFish's role-plays, and I was thankful to find out what the words actually meant.

Offline Shellz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:45 pm »
I only encountered wolfspeak when I came back from a very long hiatus, and saw 'fae'. I assumed it meant fairy. 8v. Because that's what people in our age call a fairy. Female wolf is fine to me, and I never used wolfspeak. Saw someone use it once and actually said 'so, you like shoving nonsensical words into your typing? How do you do in English? F-?' It makes zero sense to me as to why someone would over complicate an already confusing language (to someone who has never even tried saying hello in English, it can be difficult to understand. And don't get me started on 'to, too, two much'.

edit; I have seen maw and ivories, and those are perfectly fine, because, as a grammar nazi, I know what those meant from the getgo. Those aren't 'wolfspeak', those are just descriptive words. 'He opened his maw wide, his ivories glinting in the ethereal sunlight that shone from the rancid sky'. Too hard to understand? 8v
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:37:07 pm by Burd »

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:51 am »
It sort of is, I don't think "maw" is, but "ivories" is getting close, though it isn't as silly as some other terms that could be used.

I'd more associate the word "ivories" with pianos more than wolf teeth |D XD

Offline Meadowstar01

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 01:32:18 am »
To be honest, I find this so-called "Wolfspeak", to be rather silly. What sense does it make, anyway? Like "lanterns" instead of eyes. Who the hell would know what you're even talking about, anyway?