Author Topic: Male & Female Character Distinction  (Read 19207 times)

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: Male & Female Character Distinction
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 04:55:04 pm »
It's a simple concept, but very useful. I like eet. A lot~

The colored nametags are a great idea, but as for creating new manes I believe that much is easier said than done. I've never tried my hand personally at making meshes, but that kind of thing would certainly take some time.

Either way, if this idea made it up to the admins and got approved, we'd have to wait for an actual patch download to be created before it could be implemented by everyone.
(But I still love the idea. :D)
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 01:30:30 am »
I love the pink/blue colouration of the name; it'd make things considerably easier! There's always that difficult moment when someone approaches you that lacks a 'M/F', or even a bio stating their gender. :D

However, I'm personally not sure about the distinction between sexes in terms of size or mane (if they were exclusive to one gender, that is!); I'd still pick the appearance that suits my character the most, regardless of what gender it belongs to! Sometimes my females are huge and masculine, sometimes my males are tiny and feminine, and vice versa. But otherwise, it's a handy-dandy idea!

Offline LunaWolfe

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Lederp
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 01:41:49 am »
While I do support this, there is something I'm curious about.
Would there be a way to disable the gender distinction?

Now don't get me wrong, as I've said I do support this idea. However, I'm not a fan of the typical pink for girls and blue for boys. In all honesty, I hate pink and would be quite annoyed to see hundreds of little pink name-tags running around on my screen. With size, maybe our characters were larger for a reason? With manes, I despise human-styled hair on characters, and while I don't have a problem with it on others characters, I really wouldn't want a mane on my character to signify their gender. :P

Click it, we know you want to~ <3

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 02:06:21 am »
Thank you all for the feedback and opinions on this topic. I really appreciate it!

As for some points that you mentioned Waking_Terror:

Would there be a way to disable the gender distinction?

I know a few users who would prefer not to show their character's gender and/or have character(s) with neutral genders etc and so I would agree that there should be a neutral color for those who want to opt-out of the whole gender distinction thing. The neutral option could be the plain white that it is now.

However, I'm not a fan of the typical pink for girls and blue for boys. In all honesty, I hate pink and would be quite annoyed to see hundreds of little pink name-tags running around on my screen.

Let me emphasize I had no intention of being stereotypical or sexist when I gave the example pink for females. I myself am not very fond of pink ... in fact I prefer blue as it is my favorite color. I merely used pink as an example since it is a wide spread and more easily relatable color distinction that is often used to represent females or anything feminine. The color could be red or green point is that the colors are different to provide a distinct marker for gender for those who want to show the gender of their character. It's all up to Kovu (if he ever came back) to decide on that.

With size, maybe our characters were larger for a reason? With manes, I despise human-styled hair on characters, and while I don't have a problem with it on others characters, I really wouldn't want a mane on my character to signify their gender. :P

I suggest the size difference only because Kovu explained that the game was oringinally intended to be more realistic than Impressive Title. It often bothers me when I see lion RPs with lioness characters much larger than their male counterparts. It just doesn't look right. In nature male canine/feline are often larger than their female counterparts. As for the gender distinct manes that's for those players who like to have a semi unrealistic character and want more "feminine" mane types. Female feline characters for instance do not have many options in mane choice that will not end up making them look like a male lion. Though it may not appeal to you it can for many others and you can always just ignore that option. As for adding more tufts this can add to the size of a male character specifically for lions but also give more editting options for say someone like you who doesn't really like "human" style fur or manes but wants to add more features to the characters face and body. I for one would love a canine cheek tuft.

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 12:47:25 pm »
I think this idea is very great but can't we have an option in the character bio page, where we could choose our gender and it could say our genders. We also could have ? and ? signs acded onto our names. This feature either way would work. If I'm correct, I believe it would be a more useful feature in roleplays. Mate beggars? You wouldn't have to worry about being asked this as much or whatever. Before this feature is added here's what might happen: Let's say your character is male, and a male character asks if they can be your mate, thinking you're a female, that would be you mistaken for a female. If this was added, here's what would happen: You have a male character, and the other male character sees that you're not a female so they won't ask. See how it might be useful? There is a disadvantage though, more female characters can see you're a male, so you might be asked by them to be a mate. And size, what happens if the male was naturally supposed to be smaller than the female and you couldn't make the female taller? If added, it will be good for roleplays especially. However, you might have to wait for long because this type of idea probably will have to mean that we all agree on what we think should be added and that, it might be long because that means coding, which Kovu knows, but if added, it will be great. I am in agreement with this idea. It all depends on Kovu's opinion.

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline xXJackForeverXx

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Flooffeh
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:03 pm »
I really like this idea andI think it would be a good thing having a gender colour / sign. This would help people a lot when they are trying to find mates / friends on Feral-Heart
J.K.G

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 04:06:22 am »
I agree with this idea. It would be nice to not have to include the "F" and "M" in your character's name so the name can be longer. I find it very annoying when people are like, "Are you a male or a female?" And it would be very nice! This should be added into the game... and more manes? Bring em' on! =D
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Blackbaron

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Miss chicken suggle
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 04:14:37 am »
Great idea Sura! I love et! I mistake people for the opposite gender heaps of times! So annoying and embarrassing!  >.<

~peanutninja

Offline Tripwire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Bamidele Lions Of Dodoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 04:45:33 am »
I like this idea a lot! Aside from a friend of mine has a character that is both male and female at the same time, it's specific to their character that they change gender often and without notice in rp making it very eventful and fun. A third color option making maybe a *nuetral* gender would be fun and nessisary as well. Maybe purple? Just a thought.^.^

Offline donutforest

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »
I love the idea! ^^ *The only thing that confuses me is, why does the feline mode have more stuff then the wolf mode?* Anyway, still, LOVE the idea! 8D