Author Topic: Unable to Connect  (Read 3326 times)

Offline SonicEmoTeam

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Your friendly neighborhood.
    • View Profile
    • Project Spectrum UTK
Unable to Connect
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:37:34 am »
For several weeks, well, about two months, I have been unable to connect to FH. I have Windows 7, but not the latest updates since they refuse to install and the last time it actually bricked me out of this laptop. No, it's not pirated.. I'm not sure how to resolve those problems. I use wifi for the most part.

My internet is fine, 500 kb/s, IT games seem to work well. I also cannot use Istaria or DragonNest. FH worked before when my internet was only 40 kb/s. r-r

Ever since my new ISP, I haven't been able to play this game. T_T I really need some help, maybe I'm port forwarding wrong?

I've tried several things:

* Re-install FH. (Tried Program Files, My Documents, Desktop, C:/)

* Port and Range Port Forwarding on my router. (I did 40000-65535.. along with others.)

* Connecting via ethernet cable to my router.

* Connecting without the router and just the satellite, so it's direct.

* Connecting with FOUR OTHER COMPUTERS, via cable, AND wifi.

* Several, several other things I've tried, such as running as administrator, granting it full administrator privileges in the settings, disabling my firewall, uninstalling my firewall, allowing FH through my firewall, blah blah blah.

- It connects with the use of other internet services.. such as the wifi at the public library or the old wireless Verizon internet I used to have.

I've tried contacting my ISP, and it seems as if there is no hope, though I've been told that I should try a different router? Well, since we can't afford to keep food on the shelves, that isn't happening.

If anyone is good with routers (I have a Cisco Valet and internet provided by Wildblue Communications, yes Cisco is crap) I'd love to have some help with port forwarding and port range forwarding! If 40000-65535 isn't good enough, then idk which ones to try.

;; I just wanna play FH again, I miss my friends... Could anyone be of service to me? </3

Offline CreamWolf

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • OG Island Boi
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to Connect
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:09:35 am »
I use Cisco/Linksys also.
FeralHeart requires no port forwards to work, I believe. At least, I didn't need any to run it, and I have my router's (Linksys E1200) and Fedora's firewall running. Windows' firewall also let it through. If you connected to your computer directly, with an ethernet cable, it should've worked... Was the ethernet cable connected to the router, or a modem / source?

He will eat your LAVENDER cookies.
#BlameRingo

Offline SonicEmoTeam

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
    • Project Spectrum UTK
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:35:53 pm »
It was connected to the modem/source, I've also tried with the router as well.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline Sibb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • #BusinessCat
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Sibb
    • http://sibblet.deviantart.com/
    • STEAM_0:0:71732532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:17:48 pm »
I use a Windows XP Home computer with 2 cores. I have got some pictures to help you through.
Now I could be wrong but it may have something to do with your firewall if you have not already checked to allow it through. It may be a Windows XP guide but it may work for your version 7, give it a go, your choice. :)

If you don't know how to check the program to allow it through to connect, then follow the guidelines from these pictures.

1. Click on your Start, a list of options come up.
2. Then click on "Control Panel". More options will come up for you, you must look for "Windows Firewall" somewhere on the settings.
3. Navigate your way to the Firewall settings that will then show up if your computer's default firewall is online or not.

4. Click on "Exceptions" that will then show what programs run through the firewall and are not blocked from internet connection.
5. You find "Feral Heart" in the list and tick it so that it may go through the firewall and not be blocked from connection, then click on at the bottom.

IF the program is not in the list on the second picture to the right, read THIS.

6. If you click on "Add a Program" after following step 4 and onto step 5, it will bring a list of programs that may be added to the default list of acceptable programs.
7. Simply click on "Feral Heart" and then press "Ok".

If this has not worked for you, I am sorry and I hope someone can help you soon! :/

Signatures    |    Avatars

Offline CreamWolf

• OG Island Boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:54:57 pm »
He already tried it with the Firewall, I believe.
Anyway, it seems here that it might be a problem with your internet service, since it has failed to connect in several computers, which discards DNS. Has your ISP replied to you about this? And, which one is it?

#BlameRingo

Offline SonicEmoTeam

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
    • Project Spectrum UTK
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 03:44:50 am »
I have yet to get a straight answer from my ISP, my internet service is provided by Wildblue Communications.

I've had them in the past back when FH first released, and it worked fine, though it was a much slower internet speed. I'm starting to think that it's something that I'm doing wrong, or forgetting to do. Thank you for the firewall tutorial Sibb, I'll go through and use your method a few more times before I give up again.

Offline CreamWolf

• OG Island Boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 06:12:23 am »
I found this on WildBlue: http://mullinsfarms.com/misc/wildblue-communications-satellite-internet-services-reviews-and-complaints/
http://www.wildblue.com/overview/faqs#5_6
Other Items of Note:
- You will need a clear view of the southern sky to receive a signal from the WildBlue satellite.
- Service can be slower during rain or snow and sometimes you will get no service at all.
- If you go over your 17,000 MB before the end of your billing cycle they may shut off your service completely or make it super slow.
- WildBlue does not support VOIP or Gaming online.

That last line really disturbs me. Further research revealed that games that run real-time will have latency issues. Right now, provider seems a main cause.

#BlameRingo

Offline SonicEmoTeam

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
    • Project Spectrum UTK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:07:37 am »
This is a different form of WildBlue, I forgot what it was called, but it still all traced back to them. All over their site, all over their forms and services, (C) Wildblue Communications. It isn't directly, our cable provider recommended this unnamed.. whatever it is, over getting another service since this is that much faster.

I have never had issues with other games on the WB service I had in the past, unless that's a new addition to their problems.

Yes, I am saying that FH worked in the past with them, well Wildblue, in a past contract.

I don't think that using a different modem would have any effect.

Why is it that Feral-Heart does not work, but all IT servers along with major MMOs and services such as World of Warcraft, Steam, Minecraft, Starcraft, Xbox Live, and many, many more.. why can I connect with those and not FH? I don't understand.

Honestly, this spin-off of WB is probably the best internet access I've ever had, only second to cable internet I had when I lived closer to town that was provided by Verizon. 2 MB/s download, about 900 kb/s upload. For living in the country, that's a lot better than the 3 kb/s dial-up I've used since my childhood.

Just when I thought everything would be faster and my free-time could be easier, and I wouldn't have to experience the lag and time-outs I did with my built in wireless broadband.. Well, thank you for all of your help and patience with me and my misleading ISP and cable provider.

I may have to see if I can get wireless broadband again, it was slow and had lots of blocks and restrictions up, but at least I could be with my friends.

Hopefully I'll meet you all in a different time, don't think I've forgotten any of you.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:10:29 am by SonicEmoTeam »

Offline CreamWolf

• OG Island Boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:14:31 am »
Nurr problem, old buddy. :'3 I wish of you the best of luck- I mean... May the odds be ever in your favor.

#BlameRingo