Author Topic: So, We Found A Baby Rabbit...  (Read 1252 times)

Offline WarriorMoo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Love and Bazookas!
    • View Profile
So, We Found A Baby Rabbit...
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:38:55 pm »
It's been a very interesting morning...
About a half an hour ago, my mom found a very rare sight. My cat had brought in another one of his catches,
A baby rabbit, and it was still living.

Mom shooed him off before he could finish it off, and managed to grab the baby before it hopped off. At this point, she called me.
She explained that she had no choice but to grab it with her bare hands before wrapping it in some newspaper. I grabbed a towel for her to put the rabbit inside, and we took it out To the porch to discuss the matter.

We were planning on releasing it back, but found that it was bleeding. Right now we're figuring on going to out to out local wildlife center for advice.

That being said, I should ask, any experts out there who have advice on this?
We don't plan on keeping it. It's a wild animal.

Please, REAl advice, no immature comments. DO NOT GO RANTING ON MY CAT. He might not be Feral, but he still has instincts as a hunter. I am already aware that it is an issue and do not need to hear it again.
"BAZOOKA!"

^ Sofas are awesome.

Offline SoaringAway

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • Ours is the Fury.
    • View Profile
Re: So, We Found A Baby Rabbit...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:39 pm »
Good afternoon to you, WarriorMoo. It is common for domesticated felines to bring in dead animals into their house as an offering so, that'll put a stop to anyone ranting of cats in general. Anyways, the best thing to do is to rehabilitate the young rabbit but at the same time, releasing it won't help seeing as how the mother won't recognize and try to consume it since they'll confuse your scent or even your mother's scent with the baby. The consumption of young is common amongst rodents and even if the mother doesn't eat it, it'll ignore it and the baby rabbit will end up dying.

I'm not concluding that you should keep it but it has less chances of surviving out in the wild at such a young age seeing as how it'll be invulnerable and such. You might want to foster it for a while until it gets older and release it, but that'll be a problem as well...

Sorry, this is all the information I can provide and I wish you the best of luck.

Have a nice day,
-Soar.

Aki12a

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »
I have no idea how old it is or what species of rabbit it is, so I'd suggest taking the baby to a vet that specializes in wildlife or small animals. If it's bleeding it may need medical attention. Do not give it cows milk as it can cause diarrhea, which will lead to dehydration and even death. Keep the baby warm and in a dark area, it will help calm it.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html < This website should help.

Offline LiesUnderOath

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Accidentially intentional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »
This is some of what I know from experience, having had my cats drag multiple things back to our house. As Akira said, keep it warm, and in a dark secluded place. Make sure that whatever you've wrapped it it has no scent of cat, or it could cause the rabbit to have a panic attack.

As for feeding it, it depends on how old it is. If it's old enough to hop away from its burrow (perfect way for a cat to snag it), its probably old enough to have some mushy solid food.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html
This website gives a ton of info on what to do.
Good luck, with whatever you end up doing. <3

Offline safarirun123

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Sexy *_* _IWANNALIVEINLANDOFLOTRTABLEFLIP_
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »
I think a "Wild, life center would be good for it. " And be much happier.
~             ~  * ~    Crystal   ~ * ~          ~