Author Topic: General is... hostile -- A proposal.  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Leafia

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
General is... hostile -- A proposal.
« on: September 26, 2012, 04:36:01 pm »
So, I've been playing Feral Heart for just under two weeks and I really like the game. I like the availability of role players and the different skill levels that comes with. Good job making and keeping an environment like that!

However, I do have one big concern "General" -- I know that I can turn it off, but I do like to see the occasional advertisement and participate in some of the conversations that take place. My problem is that the attitude that some people bring to General is very hostile. It makes me (as a new player) feel rather unwelcome. Especially when people's role play skills are called out and mocked or when one player is verbally abusing another player publicly( or privately, I suppose.)

Now, this didn't happen to me before you go and assume that ( I feel kind of like I have to be on the defense here because what I have seen of the community, not that everyone has this attack attack attack attitude...) I am what is considered "illiterate" or "semi-literate." But I often find myself trying to stick up for the underdogs. I think that as a community we need to stop attacking each other and get along.

If you don't want to join a "semi-literate" role play, then don't. It's simple as that, guys. :] There is absolutely no need to go into general chat and shame someone for how they like to role play. This applies to the other side as well, of course.

Let's all get along and leave that negative attitude off of General. <3

DISCLAIMER: This thread is not meant to call anyone in specific out. I am not speaking of a specific incident in my example but it IS an issue I have seen repeatedly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:14:22 pm by Leaf »

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
Re: General is... hostile -- A proposal.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:47:06 pm »
There has been tons and tons of countless discussions over this topic honestly. While I completely agree with you about keeping the negative attitudes out of general chat, we can't eliminate them entirely xD Though I HAVE seen a lot of improvement over the estimated year and a half of being here on FH. All we can do is keep the positive attitudes ourselves and try to make it contagious. :)

Offline magic2011

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Pfft, Wings? I can use bubbles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 05:54:10 pm »
Yes, I do understand what your saying and I feel the same. At times it can be hostile, yet luckily there are mods and good members there to calm to the people causing this uprising of hostile members. Yet aside from that, there ARE other things on general, like actual discussions or funny stuff, but I do know how you feel, especially when I first joined which was way BACK.

Especially when people's role play skills are called out and mocked or when one player is verbally abusing another player publicly( or privately, I suppose.)

This has been seen by many members, and I'm very ashamed to say that I may have done it in the past, but i later stopped. But people like myself are sometimes a bit picky when it comes to who joins their RP. But I do understand the point you are getting at.
Friends ask why your crying,

Best friends already have a shovel to bury the loser who made you cry.

Even the tiniest spark of courage, can turn the tides of war.

Offline Necromancy

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • How about a necromancy trick?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »
This is about me, ain't it? Aww, I'm sorry, it's just my nature to argue. You don't /have/ to reply. I like it when people do, though. c;

Offline magic2011

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Pfft, Wings? I can use bubbles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:17:45 pm »
Yeah, I seen you earlier. O3O Herrooooooooooo. o3o
Friends ask why your crying,

Best friends already have a shovel to bury the loser who made you cry.

Even the tiniest spark of courage, can turn the tides of war.

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 07:20:20 pm »
Necro, please be polite to other users, floof. Arguing with people for your own personal enjoyment isn't a thing to be proud of, and bullying is not allowed on the FH site or game.

Offline Leafia

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »
This is about me, ain't it? Aww, I'm sorry, it's just my nature to argue. You don't /have/ to reply. I like it when people do, though. c;

This thread isn't directed at anyone nor is it meant to call anyone out in particular. It's meant to be more of a "Lets all work together and make general a little bit more polite" sort of thing.

CloudFish

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:30:42 pm »
What Necroo was doing wasn't bullying, so she's in no infringement of any feral heart rules. And what started as a simple question asking got out of hand in this case. Both parties were being argumentative, not just one side. It could have easily been dropped on both ends. One person can't always be blamed, but one person can surely always milk the victim role.

Offline Leafia

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »
What Necroo was doing wasn't bullying, so she's in no infringement of any feral heart rules. And what started as a simple question asking got out of hand in this case. Both parties were being argumentative, not just one side. It could have easily been dropped on both ends. One person can't always be blamed, but one person can surely always milk the victim role.

... No one is playing victim or calling out names here. Like I stated previously this thread is about an attempt to keep general more polite and welcoming.

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:34:16 pm »
Necro, please be polite to other users, floof. Arguing with people for your own personal enjoyment isn't a thing to be proud of, and bullying is not allowed on the FH site or game.

There is a difference between arguing and bullying, and if people believe that Nec or someone else is bullying them, when they are actually having a discussion/argument, then they have every right to pipe up and ask them to stop. That would be the logical solution to stopping it, instead of taking it to heart and using these 'emotions'.

There are always going to people who are naturally negative and cynical, and if you are not one of these people, you're going to have to learn to not take their words personally. Or, we're just going to have to stay out of General and have our arguments in local.