Author Topic: Multiple Usernames  (Read 5228 times)

Offline LiesUnderOath

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Accidentially intentional.
    • View Profile
Multiple Usernames
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:29 am »
Oh look.
I'm back with more. o.o

I have one simple question: Why on earth does everybody insist that they need more than one account?
Now just so you know, I myself have one alternate, but just the one. I use it on the rare occasion when I decide I've had enough of my group members for one day, and I need to escape them without logging entirely out of the game, or I use it to see what two different character designs look like when compared.
I can see why having the one alternate would be useful, but do you really need several? I know it can sometimes be difficult to come up with a username that's really "you", especially if the one you want is claimed already, but that can be dealt with, right? o.o"

With the recent (major) server derps, I was wondering if this fact had anything at all to do with it. If this describes you, I was also looking for answers as to why you think you need all those accounts~ x3

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Usernames
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:31:58 am »
I think it's alright to have one alt account, in-case something happens to the one you have or you simply need to get away from people you know.
I have an alt account, pretty much only to reserve the name, something which I find stupid right now because I don't even use the name 'Tass' anymore.

Though, I know someone who has about 6 or 8 different accounts which is a bit over the top.
RETIRED.

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:46:20 am »
Silly Dub-wub. <3

I don't like the idea of having more than one account to be honest, although me and my sister have to make an exception with our IP address's.
It can be useful, especially for RP's, but I know a lot of people who will only make another account to spy on their enemies. /dafuq/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:37:23 am by Zaroque »
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Ramine

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
    • View Profile
    • Ramine on DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »
I kinda like the idea of having more than one account, but like you said.. too many ain't good either.
I personally don't like it if people hoard accounts - no offence Dub. xD

Honestly, I like it when people are creative with their usernames, but 'account hoarders' make it a lot harder for them to be. ^^'
I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons why people add numbers, X's, etc.

Anywho.. yeah.. I think having alt accounts are awesome as long as they're created for a good reason.

Signature by Delay. <3

Offline -FoxHeart-

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Shoot-For-The-Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:34:14 pm »
Yeah, I hate it how some people have so many account's ::) on Feral~Heart.
Kizza <3

Offline Alaskan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »
Well I only have this one account but yes, I think you shouldn't have multiple accounts. The server will get over-loaded and it'll crash again like it did the other day.

~~Alaskan~~

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 03:16:17 pm »
*heavy sigh* Let me tell you why I have 5 accounts. I started out with just my Silvertide account, but when I was, 12, I was innocent and stupid so I decided I wanted to make an acc with a cooler name, which in the end I didn't like andI gave the account to my little sister. The next account I made was just because I wanted another account with the username that is a sort of an inside joke between me and some other people. The fourth account I made was because I wanted to escape my friends on it because my third account was already known by most of my friends, but in the end I didn't use it that much. And my fifth account was because my friends wanted me to make another account. I like the username but I'm not on it much. I'm never making another account again, but I feel like I'v grown 'attatched' to my other accounts and I can't bare to let em' go.

CloudFish

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:04:18 pm »
Like already stated;

I have multiple accounts, for the purpose of keeping roleplay organized, hiding away, and the like. I think having is a good idea, over-hoarding is not.

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »
*heavy sigh* Let me tell you why I have 5 accounts. I started out with just my Silvertide account, but when I was, 12, I was innocent and stupid so I decided I wanted to make an acc with a cooler name, which in the end I didn't like andI gave the account to my little sister. The next account I made was just because I wanted another account with the username that is a sort of an inside joke between me and some other people. The fourth account I made was because I wanted to escape my friends on it because my third account was already known by most of my friends, but in the end I didn't use it that much. And my fifth account was because my friends wanted me to make another account. I like the username but I'm not on it much. I'm never making another account again, but I feel like I'v grown 'attatched' to my other accounts and I can't bare to let em' go.

I know the feeling. Even though comments about my username get rather annoying and I don't have that much of an interest in dubstep anymore, I wouldn't consider a username change. If I'm correct, the username will be available for pick when the change is made. That would mean someone could go ahead and "steal" your identity, which already sorta happened to me in WQ.

As for the outburst of accounts, it's their choice if they don't allow actual account removal. If I remember correctly, keeping accounts is a way to monitor us.

Yep, and I think I heard that all the characters and bios people have on their other accounts causes some lag, or clutter. I don't like having 5 accounts because it makes me feel unorganized, but I don't hoarde accounts for no reason, even if my reasons are stupid. I know someone with 20+ accounts, or somewhere around there. I couldn't believe it, do people really need THAT massive number of accounts? I would think a lot of them would go unused. o-o

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 07:20:45 pm »
I have an alternate account that I made and used when my original account (the one I'm using now) stopped working for some reason and I couldn't get into the game with it. So I made that one, just as an experiment to see if it was my computer or my account that was spazzing for some reason. It wasn't. Because the new one worked! XD But I found that my original started working again and went back to using this one.

Alternative accounts can be useful but they can also make things unnecessarily difficult and confusing; I had added several friends on my other account, but had to send quite a few messages, whispers and group and friend requests when I went back to using this one. That was annoying! So I am considering deleting it.

Also, when people talk about their usernames and deciding they no longer like them, does it really matter? It's just a name that people identify you by. It doesn't mean anything. I understand that people like to have names that represent them in a way, but in the end, it's just a name. One should not get so worked up about them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:25:46 pm by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)