Author Topic: Filters, because there's too much -Removed by moderator- .  (Read 4845 times)

Offline LiesUnderOath

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Accidentially intentional.
    • View Profile
Re: Filters, because there's too much rape.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 04:49:35 am »
Screenshot. Report. Block.
It's as easy as that, once people get over their dislike of using the block button. It should be seen as a good button, not something that makes you a bad person once you've used it, especially not when it removes rulebreakers and trolls from your view. Even if there appears to be more than a few trolls at once, this is still a far better solution that filters are. Filters regulate everybody's chatspace, and depending on how strict the filters get, it's almost like punishing the kind players for an offence they knew nothing about.

And FINALLY someone brought up WQ. People used every idea they could think of to escape the filters they added..and the result was catastrophic. It didn't do too much to stop the rulebreakers, but it sure did a lot to chase the honest players away from a game that was now highly regulated.

There are mods in this game, and they're quite active, actually. Just because red chat doesn't swing by every few seconds doesn't mean they aren't doing their jobs. I myself have seen them give warnings in the chat, when the offence calls for a warning to all players in the general vicinity, not just the players causing the problems. .-.

Offline Sayba

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:10:51 am »
I never got why people are so dead against blocking and reporting? StereoKitty has a good point, no good punishing everyone and chasing away good players just because a few people can't control themselves. If we all reported the bad users we came across they problem wouldn't be such a huge deal.

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 01:48:07 pm »
To be honest, I agree with the ones who are against this. Adding a filter would be slowly, or rapidly killing the numbers of users on Feral Heart.
World of Warcraft uses a language filter, yet, a lot of people quickly choose to deactivate it. Why?
Because the language filter is annoying.

There are groups, party chat and whisper where you >are< allowed to use this kind of language.
I do agree that the use of bad language is unnecessary, specially when you can make up your own, odd words. xD
People should really try it sometime, it can be a bunch of fun.

What we really need, is people to get stricter on the rules. They are there for a reason.
Imagine what Feral Heart would look like without the report rate.
RETIRED.

Offline meowool

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
I've only read the first post, so sorry if this has already been talked about.

It shouldn't be too difficult to process some programming to filter out words such as "-Removed by Moderator-" and "rape," along with the nastier of the latter of swears.
You're right it shouldn't be hard, but it is because the only person that is able to program hasn't done anything with the game since last christmas.

I think eveyone else has talked about it. So even if everyone did want filters, it'd depend in Kovu actually coded it in.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:27:15 am by Kynvuu »

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:13 pm »
I HATE the idea of filtering. I mean, seriously... As a few people have already said, look at WolfQuest! I used to love that game, but now I hate it, because I can't say ANYTHING. You can't even RP decently anymore! You can't say: Ate, He, She, It, Six, Eight, Mate, Love, Him, Her, Female, Male, Girl, Boy, Dude, Man, Lady, Woman, Girl, Kill, Hat, Hate, or anything of the like. You can't even say people's NAMES. Do you really want FH to turn out like that? Because, if they put a filter, it WILL turn out like that. I seriously think the filter is a really bad idea.
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »
I mean, I used to be the LEADER of the SpiritBloods, until all of my packmates left because of that darn chat filter. I was one of the best known players, and I was also a good RPer. Yet, guess what? WQ ruined everything for me. And for what? To elimiante the bad players. Did I, a good, honest, widely known RPer, deserve to be punished for what other players are saying? I don't think so. WQ is mostly deserted now because of the chat filter. I would drop dead if FH came to the same fate.
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 06:58:43 pm »
This has been brought up more than once.
If you see someone breaking rules, screenshot and report it. If you don't, someone else most likely will... just know that every rule breaker you see will be banned eventually. The staff is active enough to catch them all, even though they never stop coming.
Filter is a no-no, period. Unless you would like to be unable to type the words "he" "she" or "mate" in the chat, among other words...

Offline ShadowWolf24

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Chocolate please, Nya. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 07:46:51 pm »
Lol. That is the one of some of the downsides about having a chat filter. This other game I play has one that can be switched on and off, but if you or another person leaves it on you can get really confused during a conversation because even simple words can be blocked out. Lol. So perhaps a chat filter is not the best either way Feral Heart is still Epic! :3

Yes. I do love Yaoi.
In Game As~ ShadowWolf24

Offline Haruki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • "Better to be carried by six than tried by twelve"
    • View Profile
    • CatalinaPacks
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 08:50:31 pm »
Okay, it appears to be that the main issue with the filter is over-regulation on an uncontrollable scale.
Valid.

The fear of horrifying language and behavior so widespread it couldn't be contained with simple blocking and reporting.
Valid.

Why not modify the idea of how the filter itself works?

I propose a filter that the user sets for their own system in which words that they personally don't want to see aren't shown. You block "rape." That means that any user's post would show up, but there would just be a blank where the word was. The user that blocked that word cannot write the word either. This "personal filter" would not affect the server, or anyone else who opposes a forced filter (the majority of FeralHeart, from what can be inferred).

Parents unhappy with their teenagers being exposed to naughty words just block out the words from the computer. If the child undoes the settings, that's on them.

Would this be a fair mediator?

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 11:26:06 pm »
The chat filter WILL limit the players and the game it self since right now the chatting means A LOT of what the game has to provide, it's the chatting and roleplaying that is in the center and we do not need a filter that anyone can break through by modifying the wording a bit, giving the impression of it being "fine" to swear.

If we are after to please parents.. Yes a filter would help.

If we are after to actually lessen the number of users using foul language, it wont.

I do not think as far as the rule breaking goes and overall quality of the chatting will be increased due to a filter, it will just make it seem to users that swearing is fine, I have seen this before.
Former community manager of FeralHeart