Author Topic: Non-stop howling. WHY? (A rant, obviously)  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Non-stop howling. WHY? (A rant, obviously)
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:41:01 pm »
I don't get why this happens. I don't know what's so incredibly entertaining about keeping on clicking that "Howl" button again and again for what seems like hours. Obsessive howlers aren't really so much of an issue in Fluorite, but with the ridiculously low new server limits, it's near impossible to get in there until it's 2am in the US. So unfortunately, Bonfire has become my main hangout recently.

Now, maybe one of you mega-howlers can respond to this and tell me just why you do it. You drive everyone crazy. (And, as I discovered today, you can still hear someone's howls even if you block them. Yeah guys, can we sort out that glitch please?) In a larger map like South Pole, for example, it doesn't matter so much. There's plenty of space for everyone, but it does get a little annoying if the howlers are right next to the portal. Where everyone is. (Which happened just now, actually...)

But on a tiny little island like Bonfire, there's no escape. Half the time, the howlers respond to my polite request to be quiet with a violently worded rage that I can't tell them what to do. Even better, a snarky "Well block me, I don't care. You're the only one complaining." Sure, if I run aaaaall the way to the other end of the island, I might just be able to get you out of my hearing range. But really? Why should I have to? It's just rude, irritating, and pointless. I can understand a pack doing a big ol' group howl at the moon, but it doesn't need to go on for ten minutes. Ok, kids?

GOD. Ok, I'm done.

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
Re: Non-stop howling. WHY? (A rant, obviously)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »
Some people just really love to use that action, they can't get enough of it. It's pretty pointless but maybe it becomes a bad habbit for some people, or maybe they are trying to troll everyone that crosses their path. Either way it's annoying. But ya can't do much about it unless you turn off actions or something like that or you turn down your volume.

Wolflover87

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:04:02 pm »
I completely agree with this rant. I mean, Bonfire is one of the smallest maps in the game. I do think some people use their howl action for a half hour just to try and agitate someone. Sometimes, I just leave the map completely. But, like you said, why should we have to leave just because someone is being a troll? Well, everyone should try and get along so the FeralHeart community can be a better place for every floof to enjoy.

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:14 pm »
Some people just really love to use that action, they can't get enough of it. It's pretty pointless but maybe it becomes a bad habbit for some people, or maybe they are trying to troll everyone that crosses their path. Either way it's annoying. But ya can't do much about it unless you turn off actions or something like that or you turn down your volume.

O_O...so THAT'S what "Action" means in the little side box. Holy ponyfeathers, how did I not know this?

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:43:45 pm »
Yeah I completely agree with this rant. And with other who have posted before me.
You have no idea how leggy it really makes a place that is already crowded, such as Bonfire.
But there are ways to remove the howling sound. Which may help with the annoying noise you may hear, but idk. People just love to hear that howl T-T
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:42:58 pm »
I agree. Howling once or twice is fine (it's a pretty cool sound), but "IM A MAJESTIK WOLF1!!!!11! AWWWOOOOOO!!1!!!11!" gets old really fast.

And while this doesn't happen nearly as often as it does in Bonfire, I sometimes happen upon these Howl-a-Thons in the Cape, especially on the cliff.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »
I don't see why you can't just rename the original sound file and then put a soundless one with the original name in the proper folder. Wouldn't that work?

Worked for me on another game once. Might've been here for all I know.

Offline WarriorMoo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Love and Bazookas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:39 pm »
*Sigh*
Yes, the howling action can get old, especially when it's used so often.
The same thing occurs with roaring.

Anyhoo, I don't have much to say to this, considering most has already been said,
 and all I can really say out of signifigance is that I have to agree with this little rant.

That and it really doesn't bother me, but then again, I'm rarely in a public map.
I usually go to private ones to hang out with friends.
Really, the best solution to so much howling is turning off the part of the game audio category that it can be heard from in the options, like Feareh suggested.

That's what I've used for the music so that I can still listen to videos while using FeralHeart.
Most of the time, howling or roaring is my or my friends' way of saying "Hey, we're looking for you!" Whenever one of us aren't paying attention to the game.
"BAZOOKA!"

^ Sofas are awesome.

Offline Sarogon

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:13:41 pm »

Heh,
Well I personally find my music more enjoyable to listen to then the music and sounds of feralheart, I mean sometimes I turn up the effects, but only when I minus the FeralHeart sceen to do other stuff.
If it's really bothering you, seriously the easiest thing to do is just turn the volume off and find something better to listen too; I mean all the you hear is paw steps, roaring, and howling with the effects anyways. :\

Need only call and I shall answer
In-game: Sarogon

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »
People will howl if they want, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them from doing that. Sometimes I find it annoying and there are plenty of things you can do to get rid of the annoyance.
  • Turn the sound effects volume down/off
  • Move to different place in the map
  • If you can't do that, go to different map; there are enough maps that aren't always full
  • If you have a high tolerence level, wait for them to stop - they'll get bored of it eventually
  • If you have a low tolerence level, log off and come back later.
  • Another idea is to replace the howl sound with a sound that's less irritating.

Whatever you do, just don't start killing the caps button with bad language, it'll only get you in trouble.
This doesn't just happen with howling - it happens with roaring aswell.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:00:18 pm by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)