Author Topic: Does Watermill qualify as a private map for relaxed rules?  (Read 2733 times)

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
Does Watermill qualify as a private map for relaxed rules?
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »
I think the title of this post is pretty self explanatory.

Just to clarify why I am confused:

On the one hand, Watermill comes with the download, so when you think about it in terms of access, anyone can access it. This may theoretically disqualify it. Also, since generally speaking the one who makes the map sets the rules, does this mean that the rules revert to it's creator (i.e. FH staff)?

On the other hand, it is, technically, a private map. It must be exported and arrived at on Distant Worlds. In many ways, it is much like any other private map. Traffic is low, and you are pretty much making an effort to go from a public map to a private one.

So, to reiterate the question, does Watermill qualify for relaxed rules under the private map clause of FH regulations?
Been away for a while. When I come back, I have an ambitious RP in mind. PM me if interested.

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Does Watermill qualify as a private map for relaxed rules?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »
I guess..? However, there's other maps to relax in too. All maps apply to this, it depends on when & where you are on.

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:30 pm »
You may alter Watermill anyway you like but it will always be under the map name: Watermill. If you do change the map name and alter it, credit must be given to the creator for the creation of the heightmap. The map name would be most likely changed for the purpose of  the map becoming private.

You are amazing <3

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:16 pm »
You may alter Watermill anyway you like but it will always be under the map name: Watermill. If you do change the map name and alter it, credit must be given to the creator for the creation of the heightmap. The map name would be most likely changed for the purpose of  the map becoming private.
I'm not sure you understand my question. I have it reworded for the below user, perhaps that is more clear.

I guess..? However, there's other maps to relax in too. All maps apply to this, it depends on when & where you are on.
You seem to understand my question, but if you do, public maps (like Flourite and the infamous Bonfire) have always had greater restrictions (e.g. mating, excessive violence) than private maps. Clearly "all maps" don't apply to this, since those very things are allowed in private maps, since those joining should know what they are getting into.

EDIT: I think i see the problem. I shouldn't have used the term "relaxed" when referring to the rules. perhaps you thought I meant relaxing as in just hanging out.

No, by relaxed rules, I mean rules that are no longer applied. (again, like the mating and violence rules).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:53:37 pm by stark »
Been away for a while. When I come back, I have an ambitious RP in mind. PM me if interested.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:56:09 pm »
Maybe one of the mods can give you a better answer for this, but honestly in my opinion if strangers can access Watermill because it's still a public map regardless of how you "acquire" it through the official game download you should still follow the rules. True private maps are maps strictly for you, close friends, or anyone you allow to have the download and so there's more control of who enters that environment since you know who to expect. In Watermill for all you know some random kids can drop by and over hear something they shouldn't just because you might consider it as a private map. There are plenty "private" maps out there so I wouldn't recommend you use Watermill as one since it's only "semi" private to most of the public. What you could do though is create a "true private" map where only you have the download and can selectively distribute it to friends etc.
Just always use discretion around strangers. That's my advice no matter what the map remember there are younger users out there.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:15:17 am by LordSuragaha »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:20:02 am »
The truth is..

No one has said that private maps is a free playground to break the games rules in. It's just that no one can expect that every single corner or private maps to be monitored and have eyes always watching.

Mating or swearing is against the game rules no matter where it's taking place, but if it's inside of a private map the same rules can not always be the enforced no matter how much anyone would want to try to do so.

Even though watermill is not a map that is accessible a regular way like the other official maps, it's still a map that comes with the game. I'd plain out say now that no, you aren't allowed to break any rules in there, cause you aren't allowed to do it in any of the others. But if a pride or pack or clan decides to have a private map other than watermill in which they walk over the rules no one can really enforce them, it's just how the game is made really.

It's really, if users want to be stupid enough to decide to break game rules and take the risk especially in a map like watermill that comes with the game, it's really their call, as long as they don't come and complain about actions taken against them and their rulebreaking if they get caught.

To answer your question plain off, no, no "relaxed" rules. But since this map functions differently it will not be quite the same.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:39:24 pm »
The truth is..

No one has said that private maps is a free playground to break the games rules in. It's just that no one can expect that every single corner or private maps to be monitored and have eyes always watching.

Mating or swearing is against the game rules no matter where it's taking place, but if it's inside of a private map the same rules can not always be the enforced no matter how much anyone would want to try to do so.

Even though watermill is not a map that is accessible a regular way like the other official maps, it's still a map that comes with the game. I'd plain out say now that no, you aren't allowed to break any rules in there, cause you aren't allowed to do it in any of the others. But if a pride or pack or clan decides to have a private map other than watermill in which they walk over the rules no one can really enforce them, it's just how the game is made really.

It's really, if users want to be stupid enough to decide to break game rules and take the risk especially in a map like watermill that comes with the game, it's really their call, as long as they don't come and complain about actions taken against them and their rulebreaking if they get caught.

To answer your question plain off, no, no "relaxed" rules. But since this map functions differently it will not be quite the same.

Okay, I guess I really misunderstood what you meant when you meant that you couldn't *enforce* those rules in private maps easily. I genuinely thought that you meant that it was not against the rules in private maps.

However, see, I have 2 characters that I made before I recognized certain rule restrictions and I enjoyed playing them. I could drastically alter their characters if necessary, but I would appreciate the chance to keep playing them.

Here is something else that I just thought of:
Suppose I was to do like a sweep check of an underpopulated map. Basically, just say something to the extent of "is everyone here okay with me using Teen/[I wouldn't use M, but if someone were to] content?"

The idea is, if I took a screenshot showing that I had checked with everyone first, and some kid basically lied and said it was okay when his/her parents would disapprove (or the kid just changed his/her mind and never complained in game), then neither FH nor I would really be responsible, right? FH cause the kid would have been using it illegally, and I because I checked first, and he/she said it was ok.

Would this work?

Offline RedWolf995

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • The Wowolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:39:54 am »
None of the maps are for break the rules, but you must know that the rules are the rules and every one have to respect them, even when no one is watching them.