Author Topic: Max polygons in map maker?  (Read 953 times)

Offline isone

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Max polygons in map maker?
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »
What is the highest amount of polygons supported for feral heart and map maker for custom objects?
(the biggest amount that would be normally allowed in a map without causing too many problems)

I'm just wondering because I want to use a custom object in my map and it has quite some polygon count.. so I wanted to know what is the highest allowed in a map?

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
Re: Max polygons in map maker?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:37:03 pm »
What is the highest amount of polygons supported for feral heart and map maker for custom objects?
(the biggest amount that would be normally allowed in a map without causing too many problems)

I'm just wondering because I want to use a custom object in my map and it has quite some polygon count.. so I wanted to know what is the highest allowed in a map?

It honestly depends on your computer's processing power and graphics card.

Just be aware, if you use a laggy item in the map that it will probably lag for most other users as well.
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Max polygons in map maker?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:41 pm »
Yeah basically as Kerrigan explained it really is up to how much your computer can handle but here is some useful info I found in an old forum post that might also help give you some estimates common to most:

Ok, so how low poly is good? well heres a rough chart 8'D
*Keep in mind, this is for the common  computer, if yours is older, go for lower, if yours is brand freaking new like mine, as high as you want to a reasonable amount xD*

Common_____________________________________________________________________________________________

100-4000 polys = Recommended, very little lag and low chance of crash

5000 Polys = OK, 90% of uses can do just fine with a couple of those objects

6000-7000 = NOT recommended, your standing on the edge

8000+ = DIE DIE DIE >=V
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:46:09 pm by LordSuragaha »