Author Topic: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it  (Read 144147 times)

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
Re: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2014, 08:59:42 am »
"He was a lion of  man."
Umm, that's not Wolfspeak lol. That's just another way to put it in.

Yes, I'm aware it's not wolfspeak X'D

I meant people might use word like 'fae' (which is classified wolfspeak) for this purpose.

ie. "She was a dainty fae of a creature." Seeing as fae means 'fairy' or some such, I was suggesting that it people /might/ use it this way, instead of synonymous with 'female'... MIGHT. c:

Hope that clears that up.~

Offline inuyasha1086

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:25 am »
I've never seen it used that way myself, but if it was I would not complain.

^Click to join my rp!

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 04, 2014, 09:15:45 pm »
The picture of what a wolfspeaker would actually look like cracked me up big time xD Great post. I completely agree, when I am in a group with wolfspeakers I feel like I've just flown out of Australia... They drive me to THE edge because they are so ignorant and pushy. Ugh, I really want them gone. Once, out of boredom I looked up some of the vocab they use in a dictionary and COMPLETELY different meanings came up under their words. I'm not gonna go and say "I HTE WULF SPEKARS I WUSH DEY WUD DIYYY" -derp- but I really don't want them to be in my face all the time.

spirit, who could not be broken

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 04, 2014, 09:31:04 pm »
and realized that he had been a victim of the deadly brain eating parasite, mistaken for a disease (FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THAT RABIES IS A PARASITE!), known as rabies.
Rabies is a disease, actually.

Offline inuyasha1086

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2014, 11:22:15 am »
I came across "Pendulum" last night.

Someone I was rping with in South Pole used Pendulum as a substitute for tail... Hadn't seen that one before.

^Click to join my rp!

wolfdog01

« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2014, 02:40:55 pm »
Yes! I can now direct every wolf-speaker to this page! Thank you! :D I now have a logical reason to tell them why it's foolish to use this!
I used to try to use wolfspeak when I was still learning to RP...thankfully I didn't keep it for long since I got confused on what a "banner" was.

Offline Goldilocks

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2014, 03:31:05 pm »
My God words cannot describe how much I hate this Wolfspeak. It's just completely wrong. I don't care if people think "It's using a variety of words to make a post sound interesting," it's just not correct. Sure, there's definately a variety of words in there, but they certainly do not make the post sound interesting, it makes you sound like a fool who has swallowed a thesaurus trying to sound intelligent. *Throws dictionary* You're paragraph is incorrect nonsense! Get a dictionary out and look up the meaning of the words you just wrote.

When I've been in roleplays with people typing Wolfspeak, I can literally feel my eye twitching and my heart rate going up. And I can't ask them to stop doing it because more than likely I'll have an entire pack ganging up on me, bad mouthing me for 'critising' their RP style, when I'm just telling them that what they typed is grammatically incorrect. Is it a roleplay style to do that? Weird.
I let people off with "cranium" because I actually think that's acceptable as it does refer to a part of the skull, but everything else in that list is a massive No. And I've honestly never seen anyone refer to a male as a 'brujo'... Wtf? Two completely different meanings there!

Lord... I have had to make a non-wolf-speak RP, because half the floofs on FH don't know what the fluff they are talking about!!

Offline longjump

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
    • FhNature
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
I know some people who will use wolfspeak terms, for something like 'ear' that doesn't have many other words to replace 'ear' with. They feel it's too repetative to repeat 'ear' over and over and over, and so they use Audit, or something like that. And I'm fine with that, because they're being creative, but aren't over doing the whole wolfspeak thing.

We all agree that 'wolfspeak' isn't using an out-of-place term to make your post sound better, Wolfspeak is using a long, fancy word you don't understand so you sound more photosynthesis

'Glory drakes are radiant, friendly creatures, that sparkle in the sunlight'

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2014, 01:47:55 am »
I know some people who will use wolfspeak terms, for something like 'ear' that doesn't have many other words to replace 'ear' with. They feel it's too repetative to repeat 'ear' over and over and over, and so they use Audit, or something like that. And I'm fine with that, because they're being creative, but aren't over doing the whole wolfspeak thing.

We all agree that 'wolfspeak' isn't using an out-of-place term to make your post sound better, Wolfspeak is using a long, fancy word you don't understand so you sound more photosynthesis

^ This :o

I like the point you make about overusing a normal word though - it looks funny when you can't use anything else. But on the other hand, no need to replace 'ear' with something like 'radar dish' as I have seen done... but the line between creativity and wolfspeak is a little fuzzy.

Also, I think this needs to be repeated:
"Wolfspeak is using a long, fancy word you don't understand so you sound more photosynthesis."

Offline StormClaws68

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Constantly hunting for RPs
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 04, 2014, 04:51:28 am »
If people would learn to just use the words eyes, legs, ears, ext. then describe them well instead of using a fancy word and making everything they say sound like their character is a monster from outer space, that would be great.
LOVE the picture by the way, bet any wolfspeakers would feel pretty silly after seeing THAT now wouldn't they ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:53:20 am by StormClaws68 »

Kellin <3
Click here to view my characters!

If you see me, feel free to say hi!