Author Topic: Alright... So  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
Alright... So
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »
I was not sure where to post... But, nyeh.

Okay, I am not that advanced in roleplaying, and I need some help understanding things. (I am fairly good... But... I need help understanding some things)
So, I will ask away!
What does Hex rule mean?
What does godmodding mean and is it like this; *Veri slashes Gerus stomach and his flesh burns away as he screams in pain* or <Isira> *Rips Vetie's tongue out* <Vetie> *Hisses and regrows tongue*

Just tell me anything you know about role-playing, I am very shy to start rping here 'cause I don't want to mess up... :(
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline tygrysek

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • ? my happy little pill, take me away ?
    • View Profile
Re: Alright... So
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:48:30 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what Hex rule is but, I do know what godmodding is, I've experienced it myself once.
Godmodding is something like this;
Person 1; -Rips person 2's heart out-
Person 2; - Re-grows heart-
P1; -Tears back open-
P2; -Breaks P2's windpipe-
And so on.
Godmodding is basically a player having control over another player in a role-play, to me.
Like once, I was roleplaying with my friend and they took over my characters thoughts .m.'

My suggestion is that, in role-play you should attempt to do something, for example;
Person1; -Attempts to bite Person2-
Person2; -Attempts to dodge Person1's attacks-
That's how I basically role-play with other's x3
Hope I helped ~

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:51:00 pm »
Oh, okay. thanks.

SoulRevenge

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:52:39 pm »
Well, I'll sort of just explain the 'Roleplaying vocabulary' to you x3.

Out of Character: When your not in character, usually you can type in between brackets so people know this.

Example: ((Guis Guis :U. I found a taco under my couch.)

In Character: When your in-character and roleplay, example--

*She sits down like a derp* <---Fail of an example.

Godmodding: When your character is seemingly invincable and is capable of beating praticly any other character, not to mention appears to evade or counter any attack. The example you gave is a good. . . example of this.

Auto-hititng: When you automaticly hit another character without giving them a chance to counter.

Example: -Slashes stomache open, no miss-

Powerplaying: Same thing as god-modding.

Mary/Gary Sue: When your character is liked by everyone for praticly no reason. A.K.A ; 'Mrs./Mr. Perfect'
(Usually these types of characters are seemingly not appreciated)

Literate: The style of roleplay that goes like this--

"Alright, so we'll be sending out a patrol now?" the she-wolf questioned, flicking a white-tipped tail over her paws as she waited patiently for Gira's reply, emerald eyes narrowed in annoyance.
 (Commonly reffered to as 'advanced' roleplay- description offered within the post may vary)

Illiterate: The style of roleplaying that goes like this--

"eats rabbit stands up and walks away" (Commonly reffered to as 'unadvanced' roleplaying)

Semi-Literate: The style of roleplaying that goes like this--

-He stood up- So what are we going to do now? -He asked his friend- (Commonly reffered to 'normal' roleplaying)

Hex Rule: I've never heard of anything like this before .a.

Sorry for listing so much xDD. I just thought it'd help you know a little bit more x3.

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:55:06 pm »
I know about the brackets

thanks

Offline Ravensmourn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • I was just a kid the last time I played FH
    • ravensmourn.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »
For the hex rule, ive never heard it before, but my guess would be something like a curse. Hex is a curse, say someone put a hex on you that you will forever have bad luck or something like that. Now with the "rule" part I would assume that you cant just magicly have it go away with no reason, or only the person who gave it to you can remove it.  I wouldnt go off this completly, but im sure if you watch people you could eventully learn it.

And also another part of godmodding is if someone doesnt give the person they are reacting with no time to react, like going straight for a kill blow, its unfair to the other person. And if your mortally injured you cant continue fighting, just use realizm and some common sence.

Offline catsanddogsandbirds

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • ~by the candelight I glow~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 10:08:25 pm »
1. Powerplaying and Godmodding are NOT the same thing!

Powerplaying: You hurt the other person without allowing the other person to evade the attack. Example: *rips out throat no miss*

Godmodding: Your character is seemingly invincible. Either this means you can heal from every wound very quickly, you cannot die at all any way, or you totally ignore the fact that you are injured. Example:

<Decent Rper> She leaped over the lion, clawing his ears as she flew over him. She landed and turned around, growling.
 <Godmodder> The lion felt no pain from the clawing because he was fighting so he had to focus on fighting. He jumped onto the lioness and madly clawed at her throat.

BUT! Godmodders often include powerplaying in their roleplay, and vise-versa, as shown up above.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 10:52:17 pm »
I'm sure you'll be a fantastic roleplayer! You generally pick things up quickly and improve over time. :D

The others have perfectly explained powerplaying and godmodding! If in doubt in a roleplaying fight, it's often best to insert 'attempts' or 'aims' into your posts to allow the other character with an opportunity to dodge. For example: "She lurches forwards, attempting to barge into the wolf's side". It lets your opponent decide whether they'd like to accept the blow (especially if it's a claw to the throat- an often fatal move!). Whilst there's a chance you'll end up with someone who consistently dodges (it'll happen with or without the use of 'attempts'!), you can at least be assured that you're personally not in the wrong in that scenario. :P

In terms of more roleplaying "don't"s, there's also meta-gaming, which I've found happens just as frequently! It's when OOC information is taken into roleplay, even when the character has no way in which to get ahold of that knowledge. For example, in one of my character's biographies, it's mentioned that his mate died many, many moons ago. If I had a dollar for every female who approached him and said: "Oh, you're mate's dead. Wanna be mine?", I'd be rich.  

Similarly, walking up to a character you've never encountered before and greeting them by their name is a form of metagaming. I'd be seriously creeped out if it happened to me on the streets; your character simply has no way of knowing another's name prior to an introduction!

That's-... All I can think of for now- most things have been covered (and I'm sure you know about Mary Sues). Apologies for any rambling!

Offline Kastilla

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:20 am »
Thanks! :D

Offline cipe

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • I laugh in the face of Danger! Ha Ha ~Kiara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:27 pm »
Both are very different things but can be mixed up easily. Powerpalying: You kill someone without letting them defened themselves.
Godmodding: You cant die you get attced alot but do not take any damage
Wait you hear that? Do you? Its the sound of your mind being BLOWN :)