Author Topic: //Reusing Thread// Did I break a public map?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Frozenflame

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
//Reusing Thread// Did I break a public map?
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:22:04 am »
    /First of all. I have looked through the BIG help thread, and most of the more recent threads in the Help board. Some are similiar, but none apply directly, so I'm making a new topic./
      Hello fellow floofs, thanks for taking the time to read this. :3  I've been having issues with FeralHeart since a day or two ago, when I was messing around in MapMaker. I /somehow/ changed the texture and deleted the little map-icon-thingy of Atlantis in-game, and couldn't figure out how to reverse the change. Naturally, I deleted and re-installed FeralHeart. Here's where the issue comes in.
      When opening FeralHeart, the regular black box comes up. (At least, regular for me.) Empty, in a few seconds a flash of white text, lines of coding, before it disappears. Then a larger box with the FeralHeart logo, below, appears.

I usually just press 'OK', there isn't any other options for the Rendering Subsystem selection box.
     Then it usually disappears, and FeralHeart would /presumably/ open as usual. However, after re-downloading, it refuses to open normally. After I press 'OK', the box vanishes, FeralHeart opens for about two seconds as a black box, and crashes. I have redownloaded the game /again/ with the same results.  There aren't any double-particles or anything, I'm so confused. If anyone can shed some light in the situation, you'd be very appreciated! :3

Skip down a few posts, please. :3[/size]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:17:11 pm by Jennifer »

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes shortly after opening
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:33:49 am »
Naturally, I deleted and re-installed FeralHeart.

You didn't just delete the folder and reinstall did you? You first have to uninstall the game, then delete the Feral Heart Folder, before reinstalling since that really ensures that any damaged &/or corrupted are removed correctly in case that's what's causing your crashes.

Did you get any error messages?

You can try changing your rendering subsystem, however since you can't get into your game at all to access the main menu then you can change your rendering subsystem like so:
(Quote from the BIG help thread)

Sometimes you aren't able to even enter the game, and all you can hear is the menu music, or it just crashes directly after launch. Those who experience this can enter the feralheart folder located in C:\FeralHeart at standard, find the file called "Ogre.cfg" and open it with wordpad.

This file works just as the ingame options menu, but instead of buttons and sliders, there's text.

What we're interested in is the top row

Set the top row text so it is just like in the picture with the text

Code:

Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem

Save the file, and close it. Next time you run the game it should boot with the new settings you applied.

If that doesn't work maybe try checking this out:
http://feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=11278.0

If you still can't get it to work after all this perhaps it's your internet connection. If so check this out:
Is the computer allowing FeralHeart to connect to the internet?
Games like these needs to be able to connect to the internet, but sometimes windows doesn't know if the game/application can be trusted or it just skips adding the game to exceptions. If you aren't able to log on the game, this might be your issue.

Open up your control panel located in the start menu. Depending on which Operating system you use, and which layout it might look differently. But Windows firewall should be in the category "security" or just find the text "Windows firewall" or "Allow a program through windows firewall". This should take you to the correct place.

Once there you'll get a new window with a list of programs. Try to locate FeralHeart.exe in there and add it to exceptions by marking the checkbox. If you can't find it, and the game to the list by yourself by pressing add program.

If you don't understand how to do this still, ask someone else to do this for you.

Sometimes there might be something else blocking the program from accessing the internet. A good example of these are some Antivirus programs. This can vary a lot as well. But check up if by any chance your virus program might be blocking feralheart. And just not only by clicking the icon in the corner sayings "Nope!". Look in the advanced menus and preferences first. Only you can check this.

How's your internet connection?
Sometimes the internet connection of the users trying to play the game might be weak. This can cause you to not being able to connect or staying online for a longer time, many people might start blaming the game or server for this when it in fact might be themselves.

Here's a few things you can check:
1. Are you even connected to the internet right now?
2. Are you running any downloading/streaming programs?
3. Are there any other computers/devices using the same internet?
4. Are you currently using a wireless connection, if so, are you getting good signal?

Sometimes the internet connection can time out for various reasons and then jump back on again, so be sure to try a few times first.

Programs in the background
Downloading things or running streaming programs eats your bandwidth, and this bandwidth is needed in order to play the game, especially if you're using slower speeds. You can start by shutting off things like downloading programs and internet browsers. Maybe even IM programs such as MSN and AIM and try to play again.

Turn off extra devices
If you got more than 1 computer or other devices also using the internet, try turning them off if they're not in use. This will give you more bandwidth to spare.

On a wireless connection?

If you're using a laptop you might be using a wireless internet connection. These can sometimes loose their signal to the internet source. So try placing yourself closer to your modem, this might give you a stronger signal.

These things should solve the most connection problems!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:42:59 am by LordSuragaha »

Offline Frozenflame

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:00 pm »
. . .I didn't uninstall it, no. Just deleted it. -headdesk- I'll go uninstall it and see what happens. (Also, just for the record, no error messages of any kind. Just FeralHeart closing.)

((Thank you for your help, by the way. :3))

EDIT: Unfortunately, the uninstall-ing didn't work. I redownloaded it after making sure it was entirely uninstalled, and the same error keeps happening. /lesigh/  I'll go change the rendering system, then, I suppose. Thank you again for your help, Lord Suragaha!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:01:21 pm by Jennifer »

Offline Frozenflame

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:07:18 pm »
 /Being too lazy to edit my post again/

Changing the opening system worked, thank you YET again! :D

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
Re: //Reusing Thread// Did I break a public map?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »
Hehehe glad it worked :3! You're welcome Jennifer.

Offline Frozenflame

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:36 pm »
Alright, well. Regarding all of the jibberish above this, this is the bug that actually started that entire spiral of madness in the first place. Let me explain.

A day or two ago, I was derping around in Map Maker, showing my little sis how to use it. She suggested putting a public map into the Map Maker, to play with height/water depth/ground texture, etc. etc... I was like, "Sure, why not! It's not permanent, after all." Yeah. Big mistake. I put Atlantis into Map Maker, nothing happened but a box saying "Invalid File" or something. Disappointed, we derped around for a little while longer before I decided to actually play FeralHeart... And got a pretty big shock.

Apparently, putting the Atlantis file into Map Maker had some effect. The little map-icon-whatever ingame has now gone blank, and the sandy map has became grassy. I deleted FeralHeart to try and undo this, yadda yadda yadda.  However, after successfully uninstalling and reinstally FeralHeart... It's still there. ><

Does anyone have a way to fix this? Atlantis is one of my favorite places to roleplay, I was pretty devasted to see what I've done to it.

Offline Frozenflame

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:03 pm »
Wow. I seem to have bad luck today. /points to post above/

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:31:22 pm »
Well uninstalling the game and then deleteing the Feral Heart folder should get rid of all files and issues with the game. Do not reinstall the game until you have followed those steps, if done correctly that problem should be solved since it seems like you've moved some of the default files around. Once you do that you can then switch up your rendering subsystem again and that should fix things.

Offline Frozenflame

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:29:47 am »
That's what I -thought- I did, though I could've been wrong... Hmm. :/

I'll try one more time, I suppose. Thank you /yet/ again! ^^"

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:11 am »
Have you tried redownloading the Feralheart game setup? You could also try switching your rendering system like Lord Sura has mentioned then restart your computer.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.