Author Topic: Cross-Gender Rpers?  (Read 34940 times)

Offline cookiepoo123

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Gender Rpers?
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2013, 09:17:00 pm »
I don't mind cross gender people but when they do it to get mates its disturbing

Offline antherax

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 09:22:53 pm »
Wow. This is just dumb to get mad at somebody for doing that. I play as Ranulf, and my forum profile is known as Ranulf, who is male. But in real life, I'm a girl. I don't see what's wrong with people role-playing as their opposite gender. If people get a worked up over that, then they just need to grow up.
dead account

Offline F a t a l

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 11:55:22 pm »
I don't mind cross gender people but when they do it to get mates its disturbing

What do you mean 'when they do it to get mates it's disturbing'? Are you saying that if a female is roleplaying as a male (or vice versa) and gets a mate along the way, that it's 'disturbing'?

I personally have no problem with cross-gender roleplayers, especially as I am one myself. I do it all the time, and enjoy playing both genders.

Just yesterday, someone told me 'I was a male character, but acted like a female' so I told them that's because I am a female in real life, and they called me a lesbian, and told me that I was 'gender-confused and obviously wasn't aware of what gender I am'.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:01:07 am by F a t a l »
Found in-game as F a t a l
Frequently hanging around on characters Daiquiri and Paenitere.

Offline Tension

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • \ m /
    • View Profile
    • ART
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2013, 06:51:01 am »
people actually get offended by those who role play as characters of a gender differing from the one who's playing it??
people are actually that closed-minded???

wow okay
especially since role playing is like based on taking the role of a fictive character?
idk that's just so strange i mean there's absolutely nothing wrong with it honestly
all of my characters are of different genders so yeah

? UN: TENSION ?

Offline Chapawee

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2013, 08:19:06 am »
I agree. People need to be more mature and open-minded... *sigh*
Moving to my new account: Windstrider. Hopefully everybody can find it ok!

Offline Kamaria

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:05 pm »
I'm female. My first RP character ever, on another site, was male. I play as both genders and had a herm once else where. I have more female characters than males on here, but I mostly play as my male hippo for the novality of it. Seeing others go 'Wow a hippo' in the chat and chasing after me is kinda neat.
My Characters:

Kamaria(Lioness), Pucka(flying feline creature),Florida(Cougar), Lela(Wolf), Tippy(Cat), Lazarus(Tasmanian Tiger), Roc M Hippo(Hippo), Spots(feline creature)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2013, 10:54:50 pm »
It's quite common for people to do cross-gender role-playing. The thing that makes it "disturbing" is the failure for other people to recognize that role-play is strictly for pretend. For example, if I role-play a vampire-slayer, that means I'm a vampire-slayer in the real world? Of course, not. Same thing with choosing a gender to role-play, same basic principle. When role-playing, it should never strictly reflect what someone is the real world. If it ever does, you may have to reconsider your player character choice for yourself to be more comfortable and execute a fantasy stand point.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Arkayy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 40
  • YOU WANNA HAVE BAD TOM?!
    • arkayy.deviantart.com
    • Foxyhobobaggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:59 pm »

U WANNA HAV EH BAAD TOM?!

Offline avomeir

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • "What a twist of events..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2013, 10:13:10 am »
I personally have no quarrel with cross-gender roleplayers. I actually find it quite creative for them to do so. It takes true practice not to have a slip up, and type the wrong gender rather then the one being played. You must also learn how to take on the persona of another gender, how one would act, and ect. However, the motive defines my view on this matter. If the choice to play as another gender is because of a motive that is not simply for the enjoyment of the roleplay then I find it wrong for someone to abuse that, but if it for pure choice of fun I have no problem.~
Find me in game on Volaticus.~
Signature - TrinityZiel@dA -- Avatar - Attsos.
Somewhat inactive via forums due to a variety of different things.

Offline solitaryshade

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Beware of the sky serpent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2013, 07:36:20 am »
Like most of what the others had said, I find nothing wrong with cross-gender roleplayers, especially since I do it myself from time to time.

However, there is ONE major pet peeve I have, whenever it comes to both roleplaying or just being out of character:

Gender-related misspellings or mistakes. For example, if you did a typo with the words "he" and "she", a lot of people become incredibly offended and STAY mad even if you told them it was a typo.

This pet peeve of mine REALLY rubs me the wrong way, especially whenever cross-gender roleplayers are involved. To put my horrid karma in a nutshell:

Many times when I /used/ to roleplay, I would come across cross-gender roleplayers. Most of them are just any average person, like me, since I am a cross-gender roleplayer too. However, there's always that situation whenever you "mistook" someone for the wrong gender and they're pissed at you. Say, if I was talking to a male character that's IN-CHARACTER, I would refer to them as male when OOC by default. However, if they are actually female (or a male playing a female character), I get a BUNCH of hateful text.

Well I guess I'm sorry for getting the wrong gender because you PLAY that gender? /steaming/

Whelp, there's a little rant and two cents. Now before anyone shows any fangs, I'm not saying all of them do this, because again, I am a cross-gender roleplayer, and these experiences are completely due to my HORRIBLE karma.