Author Topic: We need an easier Map Making System and more things to do!  (Read 5452 times)

Offline FeralHuntress

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
We need an easier Map Making System and more things to do!
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:42:50 am »
Hey there! I'm FeralHuntress! And I have a few ideas, (Some of which I think would help the game a LOT.)

Okay, there's a lot of things to say so I'll just section them off...Let's start with the Map and object making system shall we?

Map and object making system : This system is NOT good for kids, or anyone who has trouble understanding things like "layers." I should know, as I am one of those people. Not every person using this system is going to understand it. Only highly advanced computer technicians, are going to know how to use these maps. Personally, I find the maps and even tutorials VERY confusing. Even after reading the tutorials, I still didn't get it. This map maker is not an as easy as 1 2 3 kind of thing! It's to advanced! So, I've come up with some ideas that will make both novice and advanced Map Makers happy!

Advanced Map Maker : If the player were to choose this option, it would take them to the original Map Maker that Feral Heart has already designed. This would be the place for people who have advanced computer skills and knowledge.

Novice Map Maker : This would be a new feature, and a lot of work for the FH team I'm sure, but I think it would be worth it...The Novice Map Maker could be designed like how some of the Sims games were designed...Instead of coming up with complicated numbers and codes and such, all the players would have to do is use a few tools and objects to make their maps, including a terrain tool. In the Sims, all a player had to do to make their land, was use a tool that either raised the terrain, or lowered it. The higher the terrain got, the steeper the hill/mountain got. And if the player used this tool to LOWER the terrain, the player eventually struck water!

The player could also add water if given the option of loading a preset pond or lake onto the terrain the player made VERY EASILY in the game. The pond or lake would be considered preset objects, and could just simply be dragged and dropped onto the terrain. (With the option of moving the pond or lake where ever they like, like on The Sims game.)

The Music : I also think that if we have the right to pick our own music that there should be an easier way to add our music! Like for instance there should be a : Add Music buttom. Then a menu could pop up, and the player could browse through their computer to find the MP3 song they wanted to add to their map! Once they choose the song they want, the player could maybe hit an "apply" button. And POOF! You have music in your map. = )

Creating a map and adding it to other maps : I think this problem could easily be fixed by hitting a simple button that says : Create Map! (After the player was done designing and saving their map of course.) After hitting this button, the player could then be taken to ANOTHER page...That then simply asks what the name of their new world is! The player then types up the name of their map. Then the player is taken to yet ANOTHER page, only on this page, the map maker asks the player in which location they want their portal to appear? The player then chooses from a drop down menu of every map that's ever been created on Feral Heart and simply CHOOSES a place to PUT their portal, instead of going through all the hassle the original map required.

Objects : Whatever preset objects that are in the game, (Caves, rocks, ect..) the player should be able to color or edit. A lot like when the player makes their Lion and Wolf characters...The same should be allowed for the preset objects. This way the player can design and color the caves and rocks however they like! Also, being able to stack objects on top of each other would be good. Like for instance, you put in an object that is a mountain or something, but you can decorate it by putting bushes on top of the mountain or something like that! It would be awesome! And very creative!

Games and activities : I think a few fun mini games would be fun! I can picture a fun game now called : Catch the Caribou! It's a 3 on 3 PVP game. You have the Blue Team and the Red Team. Which ever team catches the most Caribou within a certain time limit wins! Also, a theme park based island would be nice...Players could go to this theme park to play mini games, or just hang out and talk to friends! And ride random rides!!! 8D Also more relaxing events such as growing crops, or catching fish would be nice...And if not fish? Caribou! And to make them game less violent the caribou could just turn into a stake looking thing when you catch them. lol! Also a PVP mode wouldn't be bad either, then 2 players could duke it out for the fun of it!

Also bringing holidays such as : Halloween, Christmas, and V-day would be great too! There could be special events planned for the players, such as...Well, maybe the players have to battle the Halloween cat! Or give gifts to other players when it's Christmas! Or maybe all the players gather in one spot for Thanksgiving! Who knows! Also, being able to buy items in game would be cool too. That way, the items could be taken by other players, if the player buy their own item. And if the player wanted to get rid of the item they bought, they would either have to delete it, or sell it to another player in game. Also, being able to decorate your caves would be nice too, like maybe there are slots for pictures that you can upload from your computer! Like to post Feral Heart fan art or something!

Phew, this was a SUPER LONG write up, and I'm pretty darn tired..Not ALL the things on this list has to be done I guess...But I would at least like you guys to consider changing the way the map system works at LEAST.

Thank you.
Feral Huntress.

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: We need an easier Map Making System and more things to do!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:41:35 am »
I see some of this happening in the future someday. It may be hard with the current systems in map making, objects and whatsoever but that is the way the system(s) will be for now. Technically, map-making is not complex until you explore it. I see it changing, but that means a new section of code which will be added only to add further bugs before it is considered stable and 100% working. Yes linking maps together can be a stress if you don't write coordinates. But in a sense, the system isn't too much of a stress. You don't need to know computers just to make maps, only thing you need to know is how to turn it on, use a mouse, use a keyboard and have creativity and you're set for life there. In a basic sense, lag would be added with a lot of these suggestions. Rendering will have to be taken further and more precise. Typically, you should only make objects if you're familiar with 3D modelling in some sense. I don't think it's not hard for kids, some kids younger than me know how to use a computer slightly better than me and I'm very good with computers. It's all in the person who is doing it, as a community, it isn't like everyone doesn't know. Yes, things could be made easier, but this is how it's implemented currently. If adding a new feature helps, it may take away from certain mapping features and whatsoever. If everything is so simple, what is the fun of learning? Yes I know you said two different systems, that only is copying the current system and saying that its easy. The current system is very fine. Yes some changes would be nice.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:52:52 am by SilverTW »

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline FeralHuntress

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:53:21 pm »
But that's what I mean...You KNOW how to do layers and things like that, other people do not. I can't even figure out how to get the terrain just right, with all the grays blacks and whites you have to draw on the map. I tried it once, a LONG time ago before the wings feature was added into the game, and even back then I found making the maps hard.

It might take a while to make something like this for the game, true...But I'll wait a lifetime if I have to for it. Many adults and children have this problem here.

http://www.squidoo.com/mathld  It's a disability that keeps people from understanding numbers and layers...So, even if some kids CAN make maps, they apparently don't have this problem. I'm talking about a system so easy even a 3-5 year old child can do it. Not a 12-13 year old, of course THEY can do it! But kids who are very young, or have disabilities, involving layers, numbers and so on, will not be able to figure it out, no matter how hard they force their brains to understand it. I should know, I struggled with that problem as a child, and still do.

The reason I've come up with this idea, is so the map can become more user friendly. The old map design doesn't have to change, but it also wouldn't hurt to have a newer map that very young children could build, as well as those with disabilities.

What I don't understand, is why most people ASSUME that people do not want to learn, or are to lazy, that is not the case, it is a matter of what information the brain can process naturally. My brain for instance cannot process the information properly, and therefore what you call easy, I call hard.

That's why I was saying if one day an easier map could be ADDED, (Added being the key word) then there could be an easier version for those who don't understand the current map very well, yet the old map would still be there for more advanced users. I understand it won't happen anytime soon...But until an update is made for the maps, I will be forced to ask other players, or even the admins to make a map for me.

One last thing...Not every person thinks alike some have problems with this type of thing.

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:20 pm »
Note: I am using capslock on certain words for emphasis rather than underlining

Allow me to mention that the map making system on Impressive Title, this game's prequel was even HARDER. But you know what? People still could and would make maps all the time despite the numerous potential problems Im about to describe. So lets do a little comparison.

For Impressive Title, you had to first create a heightmapand basic mask [or use the default one] and place a portal. Then you had to run to the spot you wanted the object to be [we'll use a tree]. You type /position and it gives you a set of numbered coordinates. So you pull out your little pen and paper and write these down for later. So you want a tree, well guess what? You have to go rummaging through the files and try to find the file name of your tree, assuming you know WHERE youre looking for the name AND that the name matches up the tree youre seeking. Well lets just say in a good bit of luck, you know it, you find it. Only the bad part is, this strip of coding you found is for whatever OTHER pre-made map you went rummaging for it then. So guess what you get to do now? play with numbers and put in the code for its location you wrote down earlier and CONSTANTLY go in and out of the game and in and out of this coding file JUST to see how big or small the tree is. Oh AND thats ASSUMING you wrote down AND typed in the location coordinates [and size numbers] without making an error. Because for all you know one of those times you log in, if you messed something up, even after all that work, your tree could be floating in air, turned sideways or be in the wrong spot or be overly gigantic. And guess what, all of this trouble is for placing ONE object. ONE. There is no "clone" button here. You have to go pick out your next object and start ALL of that over again.

I was a younger teenager when I was making maps on Impressive Title. But, I will admit, THAT right there, is hard. Feral Heart?....Not so much. Honestly, I think trying to make the map making system easier would be a waste of time especially after the massive change from Impressive Title. Would it be a good update for the  distant future after some /other/ things have been added or fixed first? Maybe. But to think of it as a necessary fix? No.  You can drag and drop, clone multiple objects in a matter of seconds and resize them and group them INSTEAD  of turning off the game to go stick your nose in some coding you HOPE you got all correct like you would in Impressive Titl. Needless to say, that is much easier/a major improvement.

As for the Feral Heart heightmaps and layers and whatnot. You technically.... dont need layers....so where do the numbers come in if youre not dealing with anyof that? All you have to do is make your heightmap OVER the old watermill heightmap and name it something new. And the mask? Pretty much the same. Is it going to be a little messier than someone who uses the terrain heightmap layer as an extra guide? Well yeah. But it dosent mean you cant approximate. You'll still get a decent map out of it. I didnt have a very extensive knowledge of layers use when I first started making Feral Heart maps [And not at all when I did on Impressive Title, which you still had to make a heightmap/mask]

Now I will admit object maker took me a while to wrap my brain around it, especially if you want to get into the shape-object building and retexturing stuff. The retexturing stuff takes playing with material file coding (Playing with coding? Reminds me of Impressive Title!) as well as making sometimes complex textures to suite the object you are building [Like making a wood texture for a hardwood table objects made out of the cube mesh]. I personally can do it but it took me a while and then once I learned, I tried helping other people learn how to do it and that was not always easy either especially when theyre dabbling in a new object's coding and you cant see what they typed/where they made an error)

I personally do not see the map making system needing fixing. It is almost as simple as it is going to get and it was adjusted a couple times for minor things after Feral Heart's initial release anyway. Object maker... eh. I see it as a possible fix-up for the DISTANT future but the game hasnt been updated for anything [Minus the option to reset characters or send them to their homepoint from the website which I think was added a little later] in over a year and I think there are plenty of other more important things it could touch on first.

And as for the making it easier for the disabled and younger children.... I dont see where or how the disability comes into play here as I already tackled the number's issue so Ill just move onto the younger children part. This game is NOT for younger children. The fact that some 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 year olds manage to sneak on [or their parents just flat out dont care] and play doesnt automatically mean that things MUST cater toward them. The last time I checked, this game was for 13 + meaning if someone is younger, they are not supposed to be on here and if they are and they either dont understand how to operate something or they're exposed to something offensive, its not the game [nor the people on it]'s job to "adjust" for them. Its their parents fault for not knowing what theyre doing andthey need to go play something that is was MADE FOR and ALREADY catering more to their younger age and skill levels. Im not saying that to be hurtful, I am saying it because it is the truth.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:55:35 am by Silhouette »

Offline FeralHuntress

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:17:56 am »
Silhouette...The reason you do not understand, is you do not have the same problem, I and many other adults and children have. First off, I don't know what a mask even is, or any of the other stuff you said..

Anyway, let me explain about this disability I am talking about. It is called : Dyscalculia. Okay, I'm sure like many others you'll be wondering what this has to do with codes and layers right?

The link I gave in my reply to SilverTW, will explain it all. People with this disability have trouble with many things, some of which include : Sequences, reading music notes, and of course seeing numbers clearly in their heads.

And what do we make codes with? Numbers. Lots and LOTS of numbers...Codes normally look something like this right?
37435_hj04. Well, things like this confuse people who have Dyscalculia greatly. Which is why people like me can't figure out how codes work. Also, I have never played IT, so therefore I wouldn't know how advanced the first maps were...But they sound awful! A floating tree? Really? Actually...That would be kind of cool...

Anyway, the reason I thought it was for kids is because I heard this was a kids game, so I thought kids of all ages played Feral Heart. I have to admit, I could be stressing over this map a bit to much...But I still think everyone would enjoy an extremely simple version just like on The Sims. Building houses and making landscapes was a breeze on the Sims for me and there was 0 stress and annoyance. This is just my own personal opinion, but to me a game should be fun, including the way you design the game...Not stressful.

I suppose if someone would make a super detailed Feral Heart Tutorial on YouTube or something I could figure it out I don't know...MAYBE I could learn how to do it but I doubt it. It bugs me the tutorials don't mention how to add music to your map or anything...Or if they did mention how I must have missed it....But I don't understand how to link the maps together, I don't know what I'm supposed to type into a lot of those blank files since there is no place to upload files...And just...Everything! Ugh! It drives me nuts, and I end up hurting my head because I'm trying to force myself to understand it! I want to make my own map for other players to come and play. But I don't know how!

I don't know what coding is, how it works nor do I understand it! Chances are if I made a code I'd always get the numbers swapped, or I wouldn't remember what it was all together! Also, what the heck is masking??? I don't even know what that is!

I'll tell ya, the only thing I learned to do on the map maker was set, and move around some tree, rocks, and other things...And that's it! Everything else I just don't get! Making a fancy map for others to play with shouldn't have to be this hard! I suppose someone could try to help me, they'd probably give up on me after a few minutes so I might as well just ask someone else to make it for me...*sigh* I wish I could do it myself though...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:22:51 am by Emily »

Offline Genesis9

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 36
  • Doubt the stars are fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:24:27 am »
Making a fancy map for others to play with shouldn't have to be this hard!

Great works of art can take years to make, and I'd like to think that map making virtual worlds, even on something like Feral Heart is a form of art, which is created upon the idea's and experience of the map maker. It shouldn't be /easy/ to make a really good work of art, it needs time and patience, along with a clear understanding of what you are doing. People do not become master artists overnight, and the same is true for map making on Feral Heart. It isn't easy, and it takes time, but if you slowly learn through trial and error, and never waver in your desire to master what you are working on, one day it can become a reality. When I first started making maps, nothing made sense. I didn't know how to make height maps, masks, load custom objects or edit textures, nothing. It took years to finally learn about all of these things, and most of the time it was through trial and error, rather than tutorials. Granted the good ones that I managed to find were very helpful, but tutorials can only take you so far. There is a lot of artistic stuff that goes along with the technical, and both need to be equally balanced in order for a good map to develop. Don't get me wrong, the map maker for Feral Heart is not User Friendly, particularly for young children, but it can be figured out with time and a good deal of patience.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Offline FeralHuntress

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:31:54 am »
True Genesis9. But when I say I don't know what masking is I mean it...I have never studied things such as 3D modeling, masking, (Whatever that is..) mesh's or anything like that.

I mean, can I decorate a landscape? Yes. Do the tutorials explain in full detail how to make your map alive? No.

Hm...Although there are places for the Sky files...But anyway there's a lot I still don't understand, so when I have more time I'll post some pics to explain better what I mean.

But I do understand that making an improved Map system will take time, I just hope they do one day...But I still think some mini games or fun activities would be nice as well...Even if they don't change the map.

And if they needed money they could start charging for subs! ^_^  Then the money could go to adding new features, (Like mini games and festivals.) to the game! ^_^

Offline FeralHuntress

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
Okay! Never mind guys! I guess I'm KIND OF figuring out the map...But a lot of my Maps will more than likely only have objects and not real mountains.

Offline catsanddogsandbirds

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • ~by the candelight I glow~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:08:24 am »
Well, I guess an easier way of creating landforms in your map would be to be able to click a button that sends you into this "landform mode" (similar to Spore!) and then you can either drag the land up, down, left, right, etc., or you could drag and drop different types of landforms. ^^

Offline FeralHuntress

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:22:53 am »
Exactly Twizzlerr! It's like I was saying about the Sims! Just drag and drop items, and have an easier way of landscaping! ^_^ I've never played Spore, so I'm not sure how the builder on Spore worked, but I loved how easy it was to build and edit things on Sims. ^_^