Author Topic: Illiterate Strikes Again!  (Read 3851 times)

Offline kyoushiro

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • becky
    • View Profile
Illiterate Strikes Again!
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:24:36 am »
I have experienced people say they are literate by doing a amazing RP sample and then they go all "Illiterate" -shivers- Ugh! I am a bit of a snob when it comes to that. And i tell them they aren't being literate they rage and leave

Example: 

Me: Brechin growled lowly "I'm no dog!" He muttered under his breath.
His amber eyes stared into Leo's eyes "Leave her alone, Leo!" He snarled.
Brechin ran at Leo and with full force, knocked him to the ground.
Leo: Y u do taht Bechin? (He didn't even spell it right -.-) -growls and run at Bechin-

This is half of his RP example for me:
He looked over the valley and smiled. The elk were on the move (BlahBlahBlah) So i said why aren't you Rping like you did in the RP sample? Leo; Caz i juzt wantd to get in. ???

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Illiterate Strikes Again!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:05:21 pm »
I have experienced people say they are literate by doing a amazing RP sample and then they go all "Illiterate" -shivers- Ugh! I am a bit of a snob when it comes to that. And i tell them they aren't being literate they rage and leave

That's kind of sad Mushroom that that person wanted to join your rp so badly that they'd give their all for the rp sample bit. Obviously that person has met a lot of rp snobs and has probably been rejected before. While the spelling sample you gave there is like text messaging what's the big deal with still letting that person rp with you? It's not like you can't understand what they're saying? Sure the person might not have a lot of skills with rping yet but you could always let them join and learn from you if you and your group has a little more experience. It's not very nice to label people as illiterate just because they might not rp as "advanced" as you or some others do. Give people a chance and don't be a snob about it because no one likes a snob... be nice and patient and guide them. Be a role model for members of this community because I'm sure you're a nice person Mushroom. If I were you I'd be thrilled that a person is trying so hard to join my rp.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:07:13 pm by LordSuragaha »

ThrillexForLife

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »
Aww poor Mushroom. D: People are not perfect! Like seriously people make mistakes everyday right? Well it's alright  Even I'm not good a literature things..But still practicing. But you can just move to a simpler roleplay -shrugs- But here a some times that can help you that to become literature  :)

Literal / Literate example:
Full of joy and wonder in her mind, a young wolf walked towards a beautifully shimmering stream. Pondering about the weather she started to talk to herself "I wonder if there will be rain today..." Then she raises her head and smells the air.

-The text continues and is written using good grammar.
-All the words are spelled correctly, if not, the player usually corrects her/himself after posting the actual post with *
-This example could also be a straight copy of a page in any book.
-Literate roleplayers usually take their time typing and are really critical about the ones they play with.
-Write a smiley in literate roleplay, and they will hate you forever, and probably shoot you. (XD)
-Literate roleplayers are usually serious roleplayers, who work for hours on their characters personalities, back-stories/ history and everything else related to them.

Good luck :)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »
I agree with Lord Sura and Thrillex here, NO ONE is perfect. I'm not perfect, and you're not perfect. I let people who type like that into my roleplays, although they don't text type to the extreme. As long as I can understand what they are saying, I'm cool with it. If they are willing to go along with the RP story, do no form of godmodding/powerplaying, RP fairly, etc, I don't see a problem with them roleplaying with someone as skilled as you. You can teach them how to be "literate". I've taught some players how to roleplay better. It can be time consuming, but at least they learn.
I wouldn't judge that player too harshly. He just needs a chance.
Inactive

Offline Blueyi

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • omf Len Kagamine x Miku Hatsune is my OTP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:13:51 am »

I very much agree with Lady, Thril, and Lord. [please excuse me for the nicknames, I'm just lazy]

LadyAlizarin practically stole my words! Haha, and Thrillex.

...yeah. So, give dem a chance!

==========================================================================

I ship the VOCALOIDs Miku Hatsune and Len Kagamine together. Problem?

Offline duna the killer

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • Vacationing 28th - 4th, You all are amazing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »
Aww poor you and your rp :( That never happened to me before and I hope it never happens to me!Well I think (my opinion) that you should give that person another chance,and if he fails you should kick him out.If he 'passes' tell him he will have to stop with the text language and be literate if he wants to stay.This is only my opinion,and I hope your problem with him is solved soon

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:15 pm »
I don't think you guys are giving literate peeps enough credit. D: I teach people to be literate when neccesary, but I honestly don't want people who don't RP literately in my RP. I like the story-type way of RPing, I enjoy it. I enjoy watching people use creative words. If someone doesn't want to RP like that then why be in the RP at all?
And besides, is it really that hard to RP literately? Just read a book and that's how you RP literately. It really isn't that dang hard.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:42:46 am »
That guy actually roleplayed kind of well, in my opinion. Just gotta teach them, as everyone says. I agree with you guys, this guy needs a chance. It sounds like me a long time ago in a wolf roleplay. I didn't know how to roleplay, and I was just running around, but my leader didn't teach me! I don't want this guy to feel like I was feeling in that wolf pack! I want him to have a chance and someone to teach him RP!
I was younger in the roleplay I was in, and confused. And wasn't given a chance for anyone to teach me, and everyone was mean to me. When I was leaving, someone even called me a bit--! Sorry for the language, but you must give this guy a chance! I don't want him to feel like me. You must know no one is literate or illiterate truly, I don't like how this Leo guy was treated... Seriously.

~Hugrf

Offline Blueyi

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • omf Len Kagamine x Miku Hatsune is my OTP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 07:30:42 am »

I also did get a literate rp sample, and they turned out illiterate. But I just let them rp with us. I felt bad for them and allowed them to rp. People have asked me why'd I let them stay or didn't ask them to rp better, I just said: "Well, as long as they follow the rules they're fine. One illiterate person can't kill you."

I ship the VOCALOIDs Miku Hatsune and Len Kagamine together. Problem?

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 02:03:47 pm »
I don't agree with calling these people illiterate. They CAN read and write, they just don't feel the need or want to do it as well as the self proclaimed literates.

I have plenty of friends that text type and shockingly they are nice people that RP better then most literates, it's just spelt differently and not in boringly long paragraphs.

The only time I refuse to role play with anyone is when they start going into labor for no reason, get attacked when no one else is around to save them, try to fall in love with any one that talks to them, cause drama, try to die all the time or the most annoying asking every stranger if they have a group if not join ours.