Author Topic: Retexturing question.  (Read 828 times)

Offline Squee

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
Retexturing question.
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:47:16 pm »
Okai.

First off, if this is in the wrong section of the forums I apologize and could the MODs please move it to the appropriate section. :)

Secondly. RETEXTURING!

Yes, I need a little help with regards to the limitations to retexturing starting with this.

- I want to create an hourglass mesh that looks as though it has vines growing on the glass. The glass texture must be transparent so that people who see this mesh can see the contents of it flowing through. Is this a possible retexture, a tainted transparency that is?

And apparently ending with that too.

That's all I need to know. c:

Thanks.

~ C  R  O  S  S  W  O  R  K (Atlas - Squee)

Signature by Velkss! :)

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
Re: Retexturing question.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »
Indeed, semi-transparency is possible!
But what you need to do, is make sure that the glass part of the hourglass uses a different material than the rest of the mesh.
(If you know how to do this already, skip it, this is mainly in case other people need it as well, normally I'd ask ahead of time. xD)
To do so, have your mesh in Edit Mode. Then press F9. In the material tab, click new.
Now your mesh has 2 materials. It will say 2 Mat 2 after you click new. Which is fine.
Decide which parts will have Mat1 and which will have Mat2, it doesn't matter which parts have what really.
Click the left little arrow on "< 2 Mat 2 >" which will change it to "< 2 Mat 1 >"
This is material 1. Now in the 3D view, select all vertices that should have the first mat. In the pannel, click assign.
Now change it back to "< 2 Mat 2 >" and select the parts/vertices that should have the second material. Click assign.
Now your materials are assigned, yay!
By pressing F5, you can change the name of the selected material.
Then export.
Now.
Material file editing required.
You'll probably be going with a lightbluey-white texture for your glass, so make sure you have that, and that it's semi-transparent.
Now open the material file that exported, and it'll have two mats in it. Find whichever one you assigned the glass part two, and paste this below the word "material" replacing all the brackets and such below it, careful not to erase the other mat though;
Code: [Select]
{
technique
{
pass
{
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
depth_check on
depth_write off
scene_blend alpha_blend
texture_unit
{
texture {WhateverYourTextureNameIsHereHeyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa}.png
}
}
}
}
And once you load your objects and it's mats in game, lookie here!

Fullsize