Author Topic: hight maps  (Read 2464 times)

Offline poptart5

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Hibernating
    • View Profile
hight maps
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:58:18 pm »
I'm trying to make a map. I know about height maps and all but I was wondering if one could use Microsoft paint for height map making.  I must not be doing it right because it crashed every time. I made sure that I used gray colors. There was no grayscale button though. What am I doing wrong? This map idea is BRILLIANT!

Offline nicekind

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 39
  • art by WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: hight maps
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:03:43 pm »
It has to be on scale 513 and 513 also it has to be on greyscale.
So paint isn't working I guess the best is to use Gimp cuz it is free but also photoshop if you have it ;)
shhh noone knows me

Offline poptart5

• Experienced Traveler
  • Hibernating
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »
I don't have Photoshop or gimp. My parents probably won't let me get them. Thanks anyway. Maybe I can convince them....

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:24:03 pm »
Arr, GIMP is your best bet. Paint sadly doesn't work for heightmaps, although I'm not sure why, personally.
I think your parents are right for being cautious about what you download on the internet, but I assure you that GIMP won't harm your computer. It's used and downloaded by thousands of people, and the program is consistently updated by a trusted site/organization. And, unlike photoshop, GIMP is free to use.

Not to mention, it's fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's very easy to get any art (as well as heightmaps) looking professional, so it's worth the download.
Just talk to your parents about it, but I understand if they're still cautious.

However, if you aren't comfy with downloading GIMP, you could PM your heightmap to me (if you've already made it in Paint), I could save it in GIMP and do anything else to it that you'd like (since I make maps all the time, it's no problem), and then I could send it back for you to use. Since it will have been saved/edited in GIMP, the version I send back to you should work for you.
I figure that would be a way to do it, too. xD

Either way, I hope ya get things working~
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline poptart5

• Experienced Traveler
  • Hibernating
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:55:48 am »
Thanks. I didn't put much time into the hight map I made. It was just a test map and I would probably delete it after. I might try making it in paint and PMing it to you if I can't get GIMP.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:06:31 am »
Thanks. I didn't put much time into the hight map I made. It was just a test map and I would probably delete it after. I might try making it in paint and PMing it to you if I can't get GIMP.
That's fine. ^^ Hopefully you can get GIMP for yourself, but if not, just send whenever you're ready.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline poptart5

• Experienced Traveler
  • Hibernating
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 01:30:30 pm »
ok.