Author Topic: Advanced Group Finder Options Per Map  (Read 2867 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Advanced Group Finder Options Per Map
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:31 pm »
After reading DoctorFlobster's clever group idea I couldn't help but remember an idea I came up with a while back that also had to do with groups. Since there is always a lot of fuss between users who advertise their roleplays in General chat and the other users who like to have casual conversations there I figured why not make things a little easier for those advertising RPs and those searching for them.

The idea:
An advanced Group Finder Window Per Map

Basically the Group Finder Window would work similarly to how the "find" option works on your friends list when your friend is online but instead it would help locate all the online groups per map. Here's how-

Say you're in Bonfire Island and you want to join a wolf Roleplay but you don't want to run around asking "Any Wolf RPs?". Here's what you'll do instead. You'll click the icon for the Group Finder Window the same way as you'd click the icon to see your friends list or the icon to see your emotes/actions window pop up. Once you click the Group Finder Window icon you'll see a small window pop up with a list of all the names of the current online groups operating in Bonfire. You'll then scroll through the list until you find the name of an RP group you'd be interested in joining and click it. An option will come up to "find" the group that way you'll see the individual group members dots flash on your map screen. You can then walk to where that group is and ask to if you could join etc from there.

For Groups that are not accepting members:
There would be an option for groups to choose whether to be featured in the Group Finder Window if they are still open & searching for members or they can "hide" their group if the group is full of members or closed &/or they do not wish to be featured on the Group Finder Window.

Benefits of a Group Finder Window:
-Easy quick access to know what groups are operating in the current map
-Group Advertisers would have less to type in General chat because now individuals can simply locate them via the Group Finder Window.
-If the group is open and accepting members they can type it into their group bio and individuals can read that from the Group Finder window by clicking the "bio" option on the specific group's name.
-Easy way to see how many users are currently active in that group because when the "find" option is clicked all users who are members of the group will be indicated on the map through a flashing dot same way as the friend locator.

Unfortunately with no KovuLKD around I don't see an idea like this ever being implemented in game any time soon...that's why I've been hesitant to even bother mentioning it lol
Hopefully I made this clear enough for everyone to understand. I might add more later if the idea isn't clear enough to you all.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:58:17 pm by LordSuragaha »

BouncyLion101

Re: Advanced Group Finder Options Per Map
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:48:04 pm »
I like this idea, Sura. :3
But I'm just wondering...what if someone is in a group, they're online, and they aren't looking for new members? What if they already have ten other people that want to join and are struggling to answer all their questions and send them all group invites?
I don't know, these are just questions I came up with while reading your idea. c:

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:41:24 pm »
Thank you for the feedback Bouncy :) I'm glad you like the idea. As for your questions:

what if someone is in a group, they're online, and they aren't looking for new members?

For Groups that are not accepting members:
There would be an option for groups to choose whether to be featured in the Group Finder Window if they are still open & searching for members or they can "hide" their group if the group is full of members or closed &/or they do not wish to be featured on the Group Finder Window.

And your other question:

What if they already have ten other people that want to join and are struggling to answer all their questions and send them all group invites?

Well that's really up to the individual group how they deal with that. I've often gone through that myself and seen others getting overwhelmed too but with of without the Group Finder that's sometimes inevitable and it's just something that takes a lot of patience for the group to organize things :) If things get too hairy the group could always hide itself from the Group Finder window in the option mentioned above.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »
Quite like this idea, truly. But what if the group isn't online, someone see's the group on the list, clicks it, and sends an invite? Then the group comes on, and sees it. They decline it because they no nothing about this person.
That's why I would like to say this, though correct me if I didn't get your game idea right.
What if the group, currently accepting, makes a form for those who want to join, and when someone wants to join, they fill out the form to join. Then, when the leader is online, he/she can accept or decline.
Then, when the joining member is on, he/she can come on, and see if the group accepted.
If the leader accepted, then the person would be in the group as soon as the leader accepts.
Also, if the group has a map, they could write "Unmapped" in the bio or something like that.
And if it's mapped, they put "mapped" in the bio, and when the bio is done, they can put the link in a little window (leader only) and once the person joining is accepted, the map loads right into Cape or somewhere else, I thought of.
Eh, just thought I could have an idea for this too, no? :3
I truly like your idea though. Man, why can't Kov come back some day? Hope he does...

Offline katyekitty

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • The Savvy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 11:08:26 pm »
I really like this idea!!

Being a recruiter for my own group, it would be easier to advertise by sending my group members to every map for other players to see.

Floof for you.~

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:25:20 pm »
Thank you for supporting my idea and sharing your opinons and ideas on the topic as well Hugrf. As for your questions:

But what if the group isn't online, someone see's the group on the list, clicks it, and sends an invite?

As I briefly mentioned above the Group Finder window would work similarly to how the "find" option works on your friends list. If your friend isn't online they don't appear in the online friends section and you can't select to "find" them. The Group Finder window wouldn't feature any offline groups. It would only feature the groups that are online. So if any member of the group is online at anytime be it the leader or a regular member the group would be featured in the finder window.

Now I do know there would be problems with this feature due to current issues with groups like how only the leader can add new members etc. Problems like those would have to be sorted out first before a feature like this was to be added if ever. Since Feral Heart is mainly a roleplay kind of game the group feature would need alot more work to make it more organized and work more efficiently than it works now. Many of the ideas you suggested are interesting and if it was up to me I would make the RolePlay Group functions more like the Friends list so that there would be more catagories to implement things like a more organized group bio slot etc. Basically you know how you can recieve friend requests when you're offline and you can accept them in the seperate section of the friends list? The group window can be modified to have more advanced functions kind of like the Friendslist window.

It's all difficult to describe with out a visible example but I'm sure you can get the idea. Before & if my ideas and your ideas could be included alot of the current issues with the group and general game features would have to be fixed or redone differently. So unfortunately I can't answer all those questions so well. Only someone like KovuLKD would know what is possible and what is all just our imagination and lack of coding/programming experience etc.

I appreciate your feedback :)

As for what you just mentioned Jumper that really would be helpful especially for users who want to recruit a really large group for their RP. I'm glad you like the idea and I appreciate all of your responses. Fill free to keep sharing more ideas of your own :3 Also thank you Jumper <3

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 12:03:10 am »
Actually, my post didn't ask questions at all. Just asked questions randomly, and put my idea under there. But now that I think of it, I guess it would be a lot of problems with our ideas combined. :I
Cool idea, still. I was looking for a hyena group for a while. Was lucky to find one. :I
Still got that ap thingy in meh head though. And I might think a few other people around know what's possible, I guess.
No questions found in my post needing to be answered, truly. Just need mer opinionz.
It truly is a good idea, really, you have there. Though a small thing could be typed some how about the not accepting members thing, too. Just sayin' but the bio part is cool.
I like the idea, if only my brain worked better these days, though I think I get the point, truly.

Offline duna the killer

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • Vacationing 28th - 4th, You all are amazing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:57 am »
woah nice Idea lordy
Well I have a question,what does it take for a group to be 'offline'?Like does the leader have to be off or a certain ammount of members have to be off?
Well anyway that was a pretty cool idea