Author Topic: Selling Maps with Copyrighted meshes and or anything (c) at all.  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Nowe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Turn forever Hand in Hand~
    • View Profile
    • Impressive Elements
Latley I have noticed people are selling maps for cash or points. Nothing wrong with that.

But, They are putting in Copyrighted meshes that absolutely do not belong to them such as
WOW meshes
Zelda Meshes
Amnesia Meshes

These are all (c) And not to be used for profit whatsoever. I was hoping this thread would get people to open there eyes when people are selling these maps with Copyrighted content in them. It is illegal and can get you into trouble. And for those who are converting these (C) meshes to put "These may not be used for profit whatsoever". Sorry if this is in the wrong section this is what I consider a pretty big issue that I have caught at least 12 times in the past month.

I think this truly need to be brought up to the community.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:01:58 pm by NoweTheKid »

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Maps with Copyrighted meshes and or anything (c) at all.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:42 pm »
Ah, it's good your brought this up. Copyright can be a serious issue.

I'm not expert on meshes, and I don't often check the maps or meshes section of the forum. But I have seen that some of these meshes are converted meshes, like the WOW ones...not sure what it means, but since the person did something that was out of their own effort, would using them still have the same implications?
I dunno...

But yeah, good topic to bring up. I think peeps should read this and have a think.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Nowe

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Turn forever Hand in Hand~
    • View Profile
    • Impressive Elements
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »
Ah, it's good your brought this up. Copyright can be a serious issue.

I'm not expert on meshes, and I don't often check the maps or meshes section of the forum. But I have seen that some of these meshes are converted meshes, like the WOW ones...not sure what it means, but since the person did something that was out of their own effort, would using them still have the same implications?
I dunno...

But yeah, good topic to bring up. I think peeps should read this and have a think.

Blizzard has no issues with people using their meshes for non profit

BouncyLion101

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:55:35 am »
I've seen this before..
If the company that made the meshes sees that it can get Feral Heart in a lot of legal trouble. :/
Hope people see this thread and don't sell maps and converted meshes anymore.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:59:08 pm »
This kind of needs more views.
I keep getting map commissions all the time wanting WoW meshes, Zelda meshes, all these non-profitable meshes, and people just don't understand that it's illegal.
Not to mention all of the other people that use them and sell them. It's just horrible that they're doing this and not realizing what they're doing.
People need to see this.

Offline Mondevu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 05:19:03 am »
Bumping, because these are excellent points that need to be looked at more closely.
Custom Markings - Click Here!

Custom Music - Click Here!

Custom Emotes - Click Here!

Offline trinitylovespink

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Glowing potato pocket
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 02:18:17 am »
This really needs more views, This is a big issue since I know lots of people who sell maps for money. If these people talke legal action......Its not going to be pretty
Here To Help!
Ingame: trinitylovespink
dA: Donttouchsilverlark
Tumblr: Donttouchsilver

Offline Mondevu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:01:32 am »
Not to mention the backlash it could have on Feral Heart as a whole. x_X
Custom Markings - Click Here!

Custom Music - Click Here!

Custom Emotes - Click Here!

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
What!? Peoples stealing? Naughty Floffies *Whacks nose with rolled up news paper*

Yes, As the other guys have said it is a huge issue and it needs to pull to a stop. Not bringing down all of the young members but I recon its most of the new and young age people who want these mesh's. Its important that you guys Google search what Copyrighting is. Or just go watch and old movie that has that annoying ad at the start that explains what illegal dowloading is and not to download or buy illegal things on the internet. Not saying this is a bad site and you shouldn't download anything from here, just saying .' DONT BUY/DOWNLOAD ILLEGAL STOOFS!'

- Minti3

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:37 pm »
Here's the reality though.

Compare this usage of copyrighted meshes to something like uploading ripped music files onto mediafire and selling them to a friend for the effort of doing the uploading, and then blaming something like fraps or audacity for having a record function on the computer.

Even though it seems far fetched from what the subject at hand is, it's basically the same thing that's going on. Now I'm not saying FH cannot get in issues from users doing this and this most likely need a checkup and provide users information regarding this, but we are very limited on ways to transfer this information, posting a forum post or notice wouldn't reach out to everyone without the help of you the players.

Just as much as you can stream music down to files, snatch copyrighted content off the internet, you have an ability to use the map maker to include material in your maps that aren't really yours, now let me very well remind you guys, not all of these meshes, music and textures used by EVERYONE since the launch of this game has gotten the proper checkup by the ones making the maps. People in general on the internet, young age especially don't quite know how copyright works, but yet again, there's those who try to enforce the copyright more than they actually know it for their own good.. With that said, you don't need to take payments in order to break the copyright law. I believe some of the meshes that brought this conversation up you are free to use for just mapping, but in the general picture when it comes to any copyrighted content.

The FH site and game doesn't host any of this material the users decide to put into their maps that are copyrighted, there's several things playing a part in this, so before anyone feels like making this out to be a lone FeralHeart issue let me make a run through.

List:

1. A user that downloads copyrighted meshes and turn it into a map. (User)
2. Sells it for points or money  (Deviantart, paypal?)
3. Uploads it to filesharing sites (Sendspace, mediafire?)

So as you can see, even though the map was made on FH, it needs an uneducated user, a point tranfer system as of one on deviantart or money transaction site like paypal, and a filehosting site like mediafire. The difference is that FH is not a big site like those mentioned above. But they are all are as responsible if not more, but the one that is to blame, and that could get in the most trouble, is the one doing the whole procedure of making a map, uploading it, taking payments for it.

Now we should try to get some sort of reminder/sticky up on the forum in a related board clarifying the usage of copyrighted material in things like the map maker or preset maker, but that's the very best solution we have cause playing cyber polices will not get anyone far. FeralHeart as a game and site doesn't support this type of behavior or usage though and if needed we could take action towards users.

What you guys can do?
If you see users taking payments like these just remind them for their own good, try to explain why. Even though this is not a big issue at the current time and date the user is doing wrong and someone taking payments for others copyrighted material, will always be more severe than someone just taking use of it without permission.

I hope this post informed you all well enough regarding the matter.
Former community manager of FeralHeart