Author Topic: Where is This Talk Coming From?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Where is This Talk Coming From?
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »
Stahp it = Stop it

Naaooo!!! = Now!

Shadap = Shut up

Nuuuu! = No!

Plz = Please

These are common ways I see people spell out words in the chats. I've seen people use those words in roleplays and even just in conversations. I don't.... know where... players come up with this stuff. I guess they use those just for fun and laughs, but I don't know why some would use them in roleplay posts. Why not spell out "stop" instead of "stahp"? Why not say "now" instead of "NAO"? I sometimes see people say things like "Stahp fooling around and get out of my territori right nao!!!"  :-[

I do know where the whole "Nu!" thing came from...

And of course, Plz is just a short abreviation for "please". But where in the world did "stahp" and "nao" come from? I'm sure it came from somplace out in the great wide world of the internet.... or did it? Why do some people mispell "stop" "now" and other words like that? It kinda gets on my nerves when some people use those words in a serious roleplay. I don't mind it when it's just used in OOC chats or when me and friends are derping around. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I just want to know why.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:52:01 am by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
Re: Where is This Talk Coming From?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:34:35 pm »
I realize some times that people often talk jUsT LiKe ThIS aT A.i. Reason for that being, is cause of this homestruck thing I have no idea about. But to make type just faster I think people now a days just use abbreviation such as OMG or plz stop just like it started way back when it used to be only for cell phone text talk.

I know I have my fair share in these things for sure. Like when one of my friends is about to poof, I do say "Nuuuuuuu -clings" Why....not sure..just want to I guess. So yeah very interesting discussion indeed.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:49 pm »
The random person I am, I sometimes say "Nu" because I act random very often.
I use stahp sometimes too, just for the derpy randomness.
I never say plz or nao that I know of though. Plz is a bit annoying, but people have to type fast sometimes because of impatient people.
Serious roleplay, seriously? Certain roleplays like that would get on my nerves.
But funny talking, non-english person/animal roleplays would be OK in my opinion, if they say english words strange, but serious roleplays, I don't think so.
Glad you ain't judgin' us though.
Stahp = instead of the "o" in stop, adds the random way, and says "ahhp" instead of "op".
^^ Fact ^^
Certain post, like playing around and stuff includes this kind of talk.
I certainly agree it shouldn't be for roleplays, if that's what you're saying. :3

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:18:45 pm »
I don't know, it's like text chat but... Not always shortening the words, sometimes even making them longer! Normally I see the people that claim to be "random" using them. I don't really like it, all I can say.

BouncyLion101

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:41:58 am »
I think the Stahp one came from memes, I have seen Stahp used in memes at Memebase and ever since then I have seen people all over the Internet using Stahp.

And I don't think they're annoying to use, unless people are saying," Stahp, just shadap bra i willz nurt stup spamin chat wit movees!!1"
Yeah, that's when it's annoying.

If people use it in their fun time to just relax and have a nice time, it's fine with me.
But if they start roleplaying and still use those words...then I start cringing.
I have no problem with people that don't like typing out paragraph posts for roleplay, but people just misspelling and using incorrect grammar on purpose just irks me.

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »
'Stahp' is a meme that sort of got engulfed into actual conversations. I think a lot of the rest stems from Tumblr, which is almost to the point of just having its own international language, and a lot of the misspellings are intended to seem cute or (ironically) unique/different.

Only other time I've seen plz used is in very non-literate player conversations, or among people making fun of chatspeak.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:54:56 pm by Tearless »

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:00:55 pm »
Aye, that kind of thing just comes from the interwebz culture, such as various memes on sites like Icanhascheezburger (and its sub-sites, like Memebase), Ragestache, and so on.
It's almost always meant in a cutesy-ish and light-hearted manner, although it does seem like it'd be difficult to take someone seriously if they're using it in a roleplay post. It's the same as using "txt speak" in your writing-- it's just a tad absurd.
However, in OOC, when just goofing around, it never really bothers me. Sometimes saying them aloud even brings a giggle or brighter touch to an online conversation, where non-verbal cues such as smiles and laughs are unable to be expressed through computer screens.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||