Poll

Should Name's be copyrighted if you thought of them?

Yeah! It's my name that I thought of, no WAY that name stealer could think of my 14-letter exotic name!
5 (17.2%)
Yes, but only if I didn't take if off a website or something
5 (17.2%)
Maybe, it depends if I think that they copy'd me
4 (13.8%)
No. A name is a name, nothing more
13 (44.8%)
No! It's a common name get over yourself!
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: May 28, 2013, 12:17:31 am

Author Topic: Name-Stealers  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Cecilia~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • wwww
    • View Profile
Re: Name-Stealers
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 10:13:05 pm »
I'm not sure if any name can be truly "copyrighted".

Obviously, names like Sky, Moon, Flame, or things like that are really, really overrated and popular so of course you would see them anywhere. No one is stealing anyone's name in this case.

However, it IS a bit annoying to see someone copy another name if it's really distinct or unique. Most of my characters have 'weird' names, that stick out, so I would probably notice if I saw someone running around named Yofiel or Sandalphon, both of which are names of my characters. They're unusual, so if I saw someone with them (and also having their in-game character look similar), I would know they copied.
i dont know anything ever at any time

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 12:20:37 am »
It only really annoys me if they steal an exotic name like Narusideiru. Lol..
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The casual observationist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 12:33:05 am »
I've had people do this before. I was on one of my odd characters, Balinaiegh (don't judge the Native Americans) and someone ran up to me, dissapeared, and came back with the name and the exact same markings and colors. It just sat in front of me staring, with a creepy emote. O.o
Back again, let's see how long I stick around this time.

Offline Azorukon

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • YEET YEET
    • Azorukonn
    • View Profile
    • FA
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 03:15:53 am »
honestly, my personal thought is that if its a common name like starfox or like... idk shadow or flamefire or something i mean, it can sometimes be a coincidence but if it's a complicated name like my character Azorukon, and someone else has that name? they obviously took it i dont get concerned to much over the common like names but if you have your own custom name and someone takes it i will get mad.

Offline shadowhearted

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 11:11:19 am »
I only really get bothered by this when they copy my character and what he or she looks like. I had a cat named Pantherstar once. Big black tomcat, leader of a clan for an RP. I was out recruiting. Suddenly, someone appears with my exact name and coloring, down to his green eyes. So I decided to change it, because I didn't like Panther anyway. Came back with Silverstar. Just a silvery-colored she-cat. The EXACT SAME person (I checked their username) was back a few minutes later, exactly like Silver.

I personally like weird markings, and my charries look good; but only because they are mine. I thought of them, and I made them. The blacks and tans, browns and whites, whites and greys and blacks and odd, swirling marks are all my trademark, but I can't say I've never seen someone similar to me. I only get a bit mad when they walk up and accuse me of stealing their charrie.

Stupid thing won't let me put more than one in my siggie. That sucks. Corgis are the most adorable things to ever exist on the face of the earth. Have a nice day, and a link to my scroll, where you can see the other dragons.
http://dragcave.net/user/Icy_Flame

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 09:57:05 pm »
Personally, I don't mind the name-taking in some instances. I take into the consideration that we live in a massive world with individuals with similar mind sets and ideas. However, there is nothing more embarrassing than someone else with your character's name /or username, or appearance, flailing around the maps. Either acting as lurking trolls or being unnecessarily rude to people online. With occasion of this happening to me at least twice, I've grown to have a more tolerant approach. In contrast, if the name is held will some ounce of dignity, I wouldn't mind the name being used. Other than that, I would either continue to pass on with my current character, attempting to drown out the now battered name, or simply create a new character altogether.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:01:08 pm by Lafayette »
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Rev Guardian

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Good to be home c:
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 06:00:34 am »
This one is a doozy. You can't really claim a name so when I see somebody with the same name it doesn't really bother me but when I see them leave and come back with my name, markings, colors etc. that's when it gets annoying.

Offline Ian592

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »
I personally don't like Name Stealers. I mean, if they have a pelt close to yours or they are your character's family, I don't mind. But if it is someone you don't even know, with the same markings, eyes etc. that is just annoying <_>

I am Mortem. I am Death.
Siggy made by me
Ingame I am Ian592

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 05:07:46 pm »
Honestly...
If every person in the world were to get butthurt over someone having the same name,
we'd all have to use numbers after our real names.
Like "Peter01", "Peter020" etc.
It just, doesn't work in the end. Seems like a bunch of hassle to me.
RETIRED.

Offline LookingForAStar

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Life is an amazing and complex thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 05:55:07 pm »
I get extremely annoyed also. I see other people with names that I CAME UP WITH. For example: Nyra, Kyren, Okami, Zoro. etc. People claim they came up with it when in reality, they didn't. They just used my names that I spent forever thinking of. -_-