Author Topic: Some are just, too literate?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline LookingForAStar

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Life is an amazing and complex thing.
    • View Profile
Some are just, too literate?
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:24:29 pm »
What I mean by this is, people can be just too literate. It's not the fact that we are stupid, it's using a bunch of words we have never heard of. I don't want to have a dictionary and a science book with me! I know quite a bit of the vocabulary people use but, they go too far sometimes. Yesterday, two people in my pack were RP fighting, and I let her read some of the posts "Kat" posted, she didn't even know some! She's 16, straight A's, and has a VERY widespread vocabulary. I mean seriously? You know that's too much. People don't get how confused we are sometimes. Then "Kat" said what she meant, and it was like two sentences. Why not just say that!? I call it "wolf literate" because they mostly use it for wolves. So, whatcha guys think about "wolf literate'?

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Some are just, too literate?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »
That sounds more like wolfspeak.

Wolfspeak isn't "literate" at all. It's using a bunch of terms that are completely unneeded or, in many cases, don't even come close to what they are referring to, hence why it's so confusing.

Having a dictionary will just be more confusing because the definitions make it that much worse. It's much better to just find people that use normal words.

There's no such thing as "too literate", really. Some people are grammar strict, some grammar loose [or grammar loose extreme], or use things like wolfspeak. Wolfspeak doesn't make them any smarter than anyone else. They're just a walking thesaurus usually.

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:44:08 am »
Ooooh, how I hate wolfspeakers. You needn't worry about those guys, they just use big, often made-up words to try and sound fancy. And the words that aren't made-up, most of the time are being used completely out of their actual context, just because it "sounds cool".
So yeah, don't pay any attention to them, they're no more literate than anyone else. XD

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:15:52 am »
Like the others have said before me, using wolfspeak does not make someone literate. There were times when I roleplayed with someone who used scientifc words to name body parts... made me think they had an anatomy book with them o_O

And there is really no such thing as being too literate, as Shusuke said. There is such thing as people trying to show off by using wolfspeak... and that's it. It would be so much easier if they didn't use wolfspeak at all. I don't know why some people think it's important to use wolfspeak. Why not just use the regular words such as "ears" "muzzle" "tail" "legs" "rump" and so on?
Inactive

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The casual observationist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
Thwy can't use normal terms 'cause they likw to be "Better" than us simple players. Obviously using words nobody understands makes you awesome and VERY literate.
Back again, let's see how long I stick around this time.

Offline Kitscourge

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Raise your hands to the level of your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:21:30 pm »
I remember being in a role play and this one person was using a ton of these long, drawn out words for the wrong thing. I looked up all the words on Google xD They all were wrong in the way she put them.Also they were a mate begger for my Phantom OTO char.I guess no one reads bios? Anyways I'm getting off topic.I don't mind rping with a wolf-speak rper but It can get annoying with the extremely long posts filled with unfamilier words.It helps widen my vocabulary. ^^ ~Erik
If I were truly dead, you would not see the words that I'm typing!
Find me in-game as ~ThePhantom~

Offline Kona

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Glitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »
It can be kinda annoying when people try that...Especially when you don't even know when they're talking about it, and it could've been explained much easier...

Signature by ISeeYou/GoldRadium

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:08:06 pm »
I just don't RP with people who use such advanced forms of literacy. Not because they're bad people, but because I can't understand 2/3 of the words they use. My argument for people who use such words; when have you ever read a book with words like that for sentences? I know I haven't.

Offline ReshiramClawz

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Automata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 02:10:19 pm »
Dem WolfSpeakers, Always confuse me....its like what? to every single post x3 they annoy me to the curve e3e

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:23:22 pm »
Urgh. Some people have an annoying habit of using what we call 'wolfspeak' in roleplay. It's basically using words that they think sound unusual and unique to describe something, when in reality, the words they use are completely out of context, making their sentence/paragraph grammatically incorrect. Which is completely against what literate roleplayers strive for in my opinion.
I don't see why they can't just use words that make sense in their posts. They obviously think it makes them look intelligent to use words that confuse people. It's not clever or cool! It's just wrong! Stop doing it!
(Going to stop ranting before I get carried away xD)

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)