Author Topic: The Old World (Literate, semi-realistic, mapped, Post-Apocalypse rp)  (Read 10389 times)

Offline Lorris

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Natoka
    • View Profile

The Old World; that is a name that most of us who live here under the Spire call this wretched, hot, worn place. It is an ancient place that has been here long before us, and has seen the likes of many before us few survivors. Before us, there were the strange beings known as the Old Ones; powerful creatures who had the ability to create and destroy. Beings who are now long gone with nothing but mere remnants to tell of their presence here, remnants that give us very little answers. There is very little hope to be found here but in the Spire; that giant reaching structure left behind by the Old Ones long ago, and still yet lives on even long after their passing. It is proof that there is a forever, an eternity; that not all things are lost to the dust and sands of time, that one can reach the very sky if they only dream to achieve. It is because of this hope we gather at the Altar that overlooks it and admire, and pray that one day, we too will reach the skies in our passing and that maybe, just maybe, there is some peace to be had above those dusty clouds.
What is the Old World?
The Old World is the ruins of a city long ago abandoned by humans for unknown reasons. The place is a dust bowl and the sun has grown many times its size in the sky. There is no memory of what happened for things to get this way and no memory of humans beyond the ruins they left behind. The story revolves around the way things are here and now, and most importantly; survival.

This is home, truly a hellish landscape but not utterly barren as you will soon see.

[Skyscraper]The Spire is a true sight to behold, a column that reaches up to the sky, above the depression and gloom of the dust clouds. It is an idol of worship to all who live in The Old World, a beacon of hope that at the end of life, there is a place were all may have a peaceful rest.
[Bridge]The Altar is another sacred place, here battle and conflict is taboo; and claiming land is strictly forbidden. It is here that many gather to admire the Spire and pray, it is also one of few places where sanctuary can be found.

The Meeting Grounds is a place for those to meet up, either to simply talk, make agreements, or to seek out potential mates. It is a place of sanctuary but it is not uncommon for fights to break out. If one were in need of a place to hide from enemies, this is not it.

The Shelter is a place of sanctuary and of protection, here is where those in need of safety and protection come to hide from sandstorms, to recover from injury, to give birth and raise their young, or simply a place to rest if it is nearby. It is frowned upon to fight here, but also not entirely acceptable to take shelter and to take up room for those who may need it more if you yourself are not in need. Here, as in all places in the Old World, there is not much to go around and so it is agreed by most who live in this desert that the Shelter should be left for those in need.

The Rings is a strange place indeed; there are various large rings made of unknown material stacked up and scattered here. There is no clue as to its purpose if there ever was one. Many consider it an eerie and even haunted place, and will avoid it when they can. However, should there be a sudden freak sandstorm or angry aggressor; it is a good place to hide if no others are available.
Factions:
While there is a shared dogma of sorts in the Old World, there are truly no factions yet established here. It will be up to the players to make, or break, up alliances as they please. As such, territory claiming is allowed but prepared to have to fight for it and do not expect your group to keep it for long. It is best to treat the rp as if it really is a survival situation, where for the most part is is kill or be killed. With this in mind, do not complain to me if others are either in your territory, around your territory, or even trying to take it. It is part of the game and perfectly acceptable for them to do.
Rules and Guidelines will be in the next post.

Offline Lorris

• Natoka
    • View Profile
Re: The Old World (Literate, semi-realistic, mapped, Post-Apocalypse rp)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:18:17 am »
Character Creation:
While I am not establishing any set species/race, I do have some guidelines when it comes to character creation and some rules.
Guidelines:
1) Please keep in mind what kind of animals would normally live in a desert; felines, canines, rodents, and even reptiles are all acceptable. Also keep in mind that most canines and felines are most likely descended from domesticated animals.
2) Also keep in mind that this is a desert and try to color your character as such; light sandy pelts are generally the norm in such a place unless of course you are a reptile, then it is okay to have a light base color and darker patterns. Mammals that are darker are not generally going to survive very long in the wild and are going to be rather rare in this setting.
3) You may use some items from item packs within reason. Please do not use accessories such as glasses, bracelets, and necklaces that typically a human would wear or would require opposable thumbs to even put on such as a collar would. Horns are acceptable for all animals but please do not use the more bizarre ones such as the ifrit horns as those are not something you would naturally find in the wild today. No bubbles, period. Consider that a rule.
4) It is highly recommended that your character be thin, although this is not something you must do. Just keep in mind the harsh conditions.
5) When it comes to naming, I do not mind naming them whatever you think of but please do keep in mind that if you are going to give them word names with words like tiger, raven, snow, ocean, crow, or other things that are not commonly found/do not exist in this setting, it will be very strange and out of place.

Rules:
1) Max height any character can be is the default medium size the game gives you when you start up; in this harsh environment it is not likely that your character would be able to get much larger than that.
2) No bubbles. Seriously. No. Bubbles.
3) Please, please, PLEASE no bright flashy neon colors! A bright flashy character will not be accepted even if you are lit so PLEASE, try to keep the colors realistic.
4) No wings. I have set it so flight is not allowed on this map so please do not put wings on your character.
5) Do not use any existing species of animal such as wolf, coyote, tiger, lion, or breed of animal such as tabby cat, Persian, border collie, or pug. They do not exist any more in this world so please don't use them. You may make descendants that look vaguely like them as long as they fit in the setting.
6) No superpowers or abilities please, nor will we be having demons, angels, or any other mythological creature. This includes dragons.

General Rules and Guidelines:
Guidelines:
1) Swearing, and mature subjects such as death, sex, disease, or other such thing is allowed within reason; please do not go overboard.
2) General chat will be used mainly for map-wide events like sandstorms and announcements. If you decide to use it for ooc please keep it to a minimum and please try to use it if you had something to address me about. It is recommended that ooc be done in whispers, group chat, or party chat.
3) Please try not to blend ic and ooc; just because two characters hate each other does not mean that the players are also enemies. You are not your character.
4) Try not to use any information that you know that your character has no real way of knowing in the rp; it is considered godmodding in a way and is frowned upon.
5) If someone is causing trouble, please come talk to me and I will see what I can do!

Rules:
1) Take any heated ooc arguments to whispers, I would appreciate if you did not have them in the public eye where it would annoy anyone else not involved.
2) While territory claiming is allowed, please do not bully others oocly about said territory. One of the aspects of the game is survival and that includes the taking and losing of territory. If I hear of you making a big stink about territory I will give you a warning before putting you on the ignore list.
3) DO NOT mate in public, if you must do it please do so in whispers. Ignoring this results in you being put in the ignore list.
4) Godmodding, or powerplaying, is a big no no. This includes not taking any hits in a fight, or writing it so that your hits automatically hit. "No miss no nothing" will not be tolerated or respected. Yes, this includes posts that instantly kill. If you see anyone powerplaying contact me immediately and I will talk to them personally before deciding whether or not they should be ignored.
Next post will have a list of downloads you will either need/or may want for a better experience.

Offline Lorris

• Natoka
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:27:58 am »
Required Downloads:
The map: Included in the zip are two mods I have made, one retextures the sun and moon and is highly recommended if you want to fully experience this world. The other is a retexture of the portal and is not a requirement at all but merely adds to the atmosphere of Old World. Pics below. http://www.mediafire.com/?wku7mufxb2brbsm (Note that this is password protected, you must be accepted to get the password)

Crap Load Mass Markings: I do not have the link to the forum post if there is one, so here is the download. http://www.mediafire.com/download/qd9srq9g1001d3b/Crap+Load+Mass+Markings.zip
Weather Particles: I have been informed that the custom weather, Dusty.fhw will not work so in order to fix this I have packaged up the weather particles. Instructions are included. http://www.mediafire.com/download/w6ezelqkb92dh3t/Weather_Particles.zip

Recommended Downloads:
Big Item Pack: http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=34278.0

Next post will be applications, yes I should of put this in earlier but I forgot okay!

Offline Lorris

• Natoka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:35:46 am »
Applications:
Here is the form for applying, I will try and keep it simple.

Username:

Character Name:

Character Age: (Does not have to be a specific number, you can put child, young adult, adult, or elder if you so wish.)

Character Personality: (Doesn't have to be too long, but do make it detailed as this and the back story will be how I will judge your literacy.)

Character Back story: (Same as above.)

Picture and Description: (This includes a screenshot of your character and a description of any details that won't be visible such as scars, missing or injured limbs, or baldness.)

Next post will be the dreaded Ignore List, and after that I will post my example application.

Offline Lorris

• Natoka
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:41:18 am »
The names of this list are names of people who have broken rules and should be put on your block list as they are excluded from the rp. If you are on this list but are unsure as to why, post your question here or send me a message in my inbox. If you are polite enough I may have you taken off.
Ignore List:
(No one as of yet, let us hope it stays this way!)

Offline Lorris

• Natoka
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:54:52 am »
Username: MorlyDrac

Character Name: Balaravi

Character Age: Young Adult

Character Personality: He is a quiet and peaceful male who tries his best to get by cooperation, but will fight if he must. He is very faithful and makes frequent visits to the Altar to look out upon the spire. He tries to be hopeful but as time goes on he grows more weary and exhausted.

Character Back story: The survivor of a litter of four, Balaravi was taught by his mother that patience and kindness were the best ways to survive and to make it to that special place above the clouds when he had passed. As such he has tried his hardest to refrain from confrontation, but has gotten into a few fights throughout his youth. With the recent passing of his mother, he has been finding life even more bleak than before and has struggled to keep on the path she set him on.

Picture and Description: Not shown are some faint scars on his body, one across his nose, and some patches of baldness at the tip of his tail.

Offline Arcanine101

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • What even
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:25 am »
I want to join :D here's my form (and i have a friend whose computer won't work with the forum or something like that, i'm going to make a form for her too)

Username: Arcanine101

Character Name: Sword

Personality: Sword is usually a 1-man team who fends for himself. He occasionally opens himself up to close friends, and is quite loyal too. He can feel easily left out of groups he's been in, but doesn't give up.

Backstory: His past is unknown. But we do know his species is the decendant of the African Bat Eared Fox.

Picture: i can't get these to work but just imagine a sandy fox with sabor toothed cat teeth and siamese markings :3

(ok here's my friend's)

Username: pocketrox

Character Name: Ravi

Personality: A rebel who isn't afraid to back down from a fight. If you can get her nice side, she's very protective and caring.

Backstory: Only a few moons ago, she had been bitten by an unknown type of snake that made the bitten person lose their memory, and eventually forget to breath and die. Sword came to her aid and saved her life. They have vowed to stay together no matter what happens.

Picture: Same problem. imagine same look but smaller.
Not using this account anymore, found at Mapletyler ingame

Offline Conci

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 03:42:54 pm »
(I have this item pack. c:)

Username: Conci

Character Name: Vita

Character Age: Young adult/adolescent

Character Personality: Vita is a young and rebellious feline, but has a soft spot for those younger than her even by a day. She loves cubs and pups. Whenever she can, she will help, although she hates following directions and other things. When told to do things, she usually does the exact opposite, which is great when someone knows how to use reverse psychology. Overall, she is rebellious and soft.

Character Back story:
0-9 months
Vita was born in the place known as 'The Rings' to others. usually just called them circles, and still does. She never really knew that they were called 'The Rings.' Her mother killed some sort of desert bird, and when Vita started playing with the feathers, her mother picked them up (in her mouth e.e) and put them behind her ear, nestled in the fur. "Take these," she said, "and remember me." Vita didn't understand until she saw the huge dark cloud of sand when it was only a few lengths away. She tore after a Ring and hid under it while dragging the bird. Once it was over, her mother was nowhere to be found.
10-24 months
Vita was on her own. She knew she had to learn to hunt by herself. Before her mother died, she taught her about the landscape. 'The Meeting Place' sounded interesting and easy to find others. She went there and hid in some sand under a den-like object. Another animal was hunting there, so she decided to watch. When that animal caught a desert bird, Vita realized that it wasn't too easy to hunt. She struggled with it, and usually had to go hungry. When she caught her first lizard, she was ecstatic, and learned that everyone has their own style of hunting based on their personality, age, and species.

Picture and Description:

Without her preset:

Vita is a sand colored feline with a few jaguar-like spots. She has long fangs and ear feathers. Her eyes are orange.

Offline Lorris

• Natoka
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:46 am »
(I have this item pack. c:)

Username: Conci

Character Name: Vita

Character Age: Young adult/adolescent

Character Personality: Vita is a young and rebellious feline, but has a soft spot for those younger than her even by a day. She loves cubs and pups. Whenever she can, she will help, although she hates following directions and other things. When told to do things, she usually does the exact opposite, which is great when someone knows how to use reverse psychology. Overall, she is rebellious and soft.

Character Back story:
0-9 months
Vita was born in the place known as 'The Rings' to others. usually just called them circles, and still does. She never really knew that they were called 'The Rings.' Her mother killed some sort of desert bird, and when Vita started playing with the feathers, her mother picked them up (in her mouth e.e) and put them behind her ear, nestled in the fur. "Take these," she said, "and remember me." Vita didn't understand until she saw the huge dark cloud of sand when it was only a few lengths away. She tore after a Ring and hid under it while dragging the bird. Once it was over, her mother was nowhere to be found.
10-24 months
Vita was on her own. She knew she had to learn to hunt by herself. Before her mother died, she taught her about the landscape. 'The Meeting Place' sounded interesting and easy to find others. She went there and hid in some sand under a den-like object. Another animal was hunting there, so she decided to watch. When that animal caught a desert bird, Vita realized that it wasn't too easy to hunt. She struggled with it, and usually had to go hungry. When she caught her first lizard, she was ecstatic, and learned that everyone has their own style of hunting based on their personality, age, and species.

Picture and Description:

Without her preset:

Vita is a sand colored feline with a few jaguar-like spots. She has long fangs and ear feathers. Her eyes are orange.
Great Application! I will send you the password in a moment!

Offline Lorris

• Natoka
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:35:28 am »
I want to join :D here's my form (and i have a friend whose computer won't work with the forum or something like that, i'm going to make a form for her too)

Username: Arcanine101

Character Name: Sword

Personality: Sword is usually a 1-man team who fends for himself. He occasionally opens himself up to close friends, and is quite loyal too. He can feel easily left out of groups he's been in, but doesn't give up.

Backstory: His past is unknown. But we do know his species is the decendant of the African Bat Eared Fox.

Picture: i can't get these to work but just imagine a sandy fox with sabor toothed cat teeth and siamese markings :3

(ok here's my friend's)

Username: pocketrox

Character Name: Ravi

Personality: A rebel who isn't afraid to back down from a fight. If you can get her nice side, she's very protective and caring.

Backstory: Only a few moons ago, she had been bitten by an unknown type of snake that made the bitten person lose their memory, and eventually forget to breath and die. Sword came to her aid and saved her life. They have vowed to stay together no matter what happens.

Picture: Same problem. imagine same look but smaller.
Ok there are a few problems with these applications; first off "Sword's" application;
1) The name is an issue, if you go up to the Character Creation Guidelines and read number five, I suggested against using word-names that included things that are not found in this setting. There are no swords to be found in the Old World therefore it would be impossible to have that name as it doesn't even exist.
2) I am afraid that the backstory is a requirement, if you are not going to make one you won't be accepted.
Now on to Ravi's app:
The only real issue here is again the Backstory; it is good to mention that event as it is important to the character's story, but you left out all the major events of her life before that. While it is true she has amnesia, everything that happened before still happened and needs to be in the backstory in order to be accepted.

Now a suggestion for you both is to try and add more details to the personality and backstory; I suggest reading my app and the app posted right below yours as her app is very good and has more details than mine did and is a very good example of a decent application. I also suggest brainstorming your characters some more before remaking your app, perhaps writing down a small summary of things you want to include; and I highly recommend rereading the first post and adding details from the map into your backstory too so it really feels as if your character lives here.