Author Topic: Too realistic?  (Read 7181 times)

Offline zRichtofen

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • yeen here
    • View Profile
Too realistic?
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:52:52 am »
Alright, so it happened recently on 7/11/13 and here is what happened:
I was on a Dartmoor character (black lion mixed with boar) And I found a pride, and they were realistic and i'm like "I'm el curiouso to see if they will take me in..." Now he is 5% boar, just the snout makes him that. And I spoke to the leader, and he took a long time and i'm like "why eue" then he came with a response with this "Sorry, lions only! :3" I'm like "You seriously need that face... IS 5% GOING TO STOP YOU?! -.-"

People are just too stupid now a days.

I must assign the Jersey Devil to kill them all... *facefallonfloor*

this is a double bass not a cello
feral neighborhood discord mod

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Re: Too realistic?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:09:43 am »
It's no fun to get rejected from a roleplay all because your character isn't the traditional or realistic kind of animal. It's happened to me before, too. There are times I wish people would be more accepting of something different, or something unrealistic. Sometimes whenever I try to include an unrealistic character in a roleplay, even if it's only for a few minutes, they will sometimes get rejected. For example, a few clan cats from a clan I didn't know of encountered my unicorn fox and her feline friend. When these clan cats first saw her, they assumed she was just an ordinary albino fox. When I hinted that I was a unicorn fox, they pretty much wanted nothing to do with me or my friend. They wanted to stick with the books and stick with being "realistic".

Some people just prefer doing realistic roleplays. There's nothing wrong with that, really. It doesn't really make them stupid for only liking realistic roleplays. I myself like the more realistic stuff, but occasionally I will participate in unrealistic and fantasy roleplays.
Just because they rejected you, it doesn't make them stupid. They have a right to say no since it was their roleplay. So they weren't the right roleplay for you. It would be best to find some people who wouldn't mind having a lion/boar hybrid in their roleplay. There are plenty of other prides out there to join besides that one, so there is bound to be one that will welcome you with open arms.
Inactive

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:33:05 am »
I have had to deal with this before. Ugh.

And I get that its their RP Lady Alizarin but at the same time I wish more of them would stop over-examining the tiny details and learn to politely ignore them sometimes. Telling someone to "go run and find a different RP that's right for you" might be ideal logic in an ideal game but its not an ideal game. While your advice is kind and well meant, the proportions of RPs are pretty uneven right now.

If you sit in Fluorite for five minutes you'll find the majority of the RPs are semi-realistic, and if not, realistic. That said, looking for an unrealistic RP? Good luck with  finding one, particularly if you're looking for one that has some grammatical requirements or is not filled with godmodders.

(Sky's Rim is a bit of a different story thankfully but  is a lot more limited in terms of who you can find, particularly since for some people it is difficult to reach.)

All I know is that I'm thankful for the friends I have that try to find means for me to join them. I have some characters who are familiar with different species in a positive light, sometimes to the point that they really do not do well in a RP of their own kind. Now, whether or not that is realistic or unrealistic...eh we've all seen the mother dog who nurses the kittens and all that jazz so lets not get into that debate but the point I'm trying to make is, I have friends who have purposefully tried to get permission (with a rhyme or reason to have my character interact with a group of a different species that my friend is in with already) for me to jump in the RP without having to change my character.

Sometimes, it works out great. Really great.Other times, because Im being slightly more "unrealistic" and "odd" than the majority of those in the RP already that my friend ends up being the only person roleplaying with me and sometimes even OOCly talking to me inside of a massive group.

The rest will pretend like I do not exist, in character or out. I can fully understand if it was someone's character openly ignoring my character, since it "doesn't fit" with the rest and that is fine by me. I have no issues with that at all but to flat out act like I'm not even there, even when talking in OOC and everyone in the RP knows what is OOC and what isnt.... is kind of irritating.

I'm not agreeing with this thread in that realistic-roleplaying players are stupid (They are not) and I'm not saying this happens all of the time but I must say, it would be nice if some of the unrealistic role players were treated a little more fairly by their more realism-inclined counterparts.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:36:13 am by Silhouette »

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:42:36 am »
I personally think when role playing in public maps you have to be a little open minded because of all the people that might end up role playing with you. Say if your group is on a hunt, then some random person tries to hunt the same prey as you. For these reasons, I always accept anything I come across.

Offline zRichtofen

• Finest Floof
  • yeen here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »
@Lady
@Silhoulette

I wasn't saying realistic rpers were stupid, its just they need to know that if 5% is going to stop them, then that makes them dumb-minded.

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »
I would just like to point out, calling them dumb-minded is the same as calling them stupid.
Some people just have their own preferences, I mean, when are you going to find a half boar half lion in the real world? If someone doesn't want an unrealistic creature in their rp, so be it, even if it is only 5%, it doesnt mean that they have to let you in, does it?
Its their choice, since its their rp.

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:58:15 pm »
I rarely see groups that are 100% realistic. Such as a wolf pack that only has one rank, Alpha, and the rest are just normal. Or a herd of deer with only one or two males. It's a game! Why not be unrealistic? We're talking wolves and lions who all live together, how much more unrealistic can you get?

That said, I see your point where some RP groups are quite picky, but many others are not. I have a group that's both, really. We RP as Warrior Cats, but have and eagle as an apprentice and a wolf pup in our nursery. Other animals, sometimes entire groups, are often blocked by my group (I don't block them for trying to Rp with us e.e) just because they are disrupting the peace of our RP.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 05:02:24 pm »
Ugh. If I'm not mistaken, you're the very same person I instantly threw on block for calling the entirety of Bonfire "dumb, immature kids" a few weeks back. :P

Even so, genetics don't quite work in a percentage manner; there's a terrible amount of criss-crossing of alleles, jumbled chromosomes and general muddly-duddly when two gametes bump into each other. If you're trying to get into a realistic roleplay as an unusual cross-breed-- you'd likely best aim for unrealistic ones; most hybrids are impossible. It very, very, very rarely happens in the animal kingdom due to all the hybridization barriers and limitations. It's common in plants though! They're being true to realism for declining you; they're not stupid. I'd never accept a bizarre crossbreed into my own realistic roleplays, but anything goes in unrealistic ones. I've some odd critters myself!

No one's stupid, daft or dumb for having their own roleplaying preferences! 5% boar will never, ever be realistic-- they had all right to decline you, if I'm honest. You'd best aim for unrealistic (or even semi-realistic!) with such a character! It's a neat concept, but it does limit the roleplays you can apply for.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:07:04 pm by Nemena »

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:07:57 pm »
Exactly what I'm trying to say Nemana, they have every right to have rejected you, they have their own preferences, that doesnt make them stupid.

Offline zRichtofen

• Finest Floof
  • yeen here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 12:59:30 am »
Ugh. If I'm not mistaken, you're the very same person I instantly threw on block for calling the entirety of Bonfire "dumb, immature kids" a few weeks back. :P
I think Jersey was going crazy XD. Sorry.