Author Topic: Why do people dislike Sparkledogs and Glittercats purely because of looks?  (Read 5694 times)

Offline FateofHearts

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • fatum-amoris
    • lunardragon13
    • View Profile
I like seeing colorful characters, but most would disagree. We've all seen what a real wolf and lion look like, so why is it that when some people try to show some individuality, they are outcast. I can understand if there's no color coordination at all, but the question remains:   Why do people dislike sparkledogs and glittercats because they are different? :-\
Flopping around like a smol emo bean

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Well, to be quite honest, I don't think it has to with "being different." I think it has to do with a small cluster of the unrealistic and "colorful" characters (or "sparkledogs and glittercats" as you called them) disdainfully referred to as "Neons."

Whether their colors coordinate, or not, neon colored characters tend to hurt the eyes of the player looking at them. Let me ask you this, why would most people rather write with a pen or pencil instead of a highlighter marker? Because it's clearer and easier on the eyes to read pen and pencil writing than strain with the bright colors of a highlighter, much like a neon critter.

Now I personally have a vast amount of unrealistic colored characters however, the mass majority of them would not class as "neon" and if they did, it would only be a portion of their design. That's just my personal preference. However, I have no issues with roleplaying with someone who has a vibrantly colored character but they will have to understand if it starts bothering my eyes the RP will either have to end or they may have to temporarily adjust the tones to be a little darker and less "in your face".

In another thread I explained my dislike for rejection from RP's based on an unrealistic appearance (although that was more about subtle things rather than your typical bright green "sparkledog")  but I would not make the request of someone to adjust their character's looks unless the looks of them really does start to make my eyes physically hurt.

But there is also the general trend online for hating "sparkledogs" and "glittercats" and I think it very much exists in the real world too. I guess it stems from the idea that animals must be depicted as realistically as possible or else if they're not then they are classed as "for children." [How "werewolves and "dragons" earned a free pass from this, I will never understand] That just seems to be the general opinion of most people I know, because most of them will automatically class anyone depicting anything with an animal that is unrealistic as for children, silly, or "furry" type stuff. I am not a furry, but I do know that group of people  does tend to receive a lot of hate because of a small portion of them (though not all) is thought to do things I won't mention on a family friendly forum, if you catch my drift.

Though if we are all playing on a game where the main characters are animals, that kind of hate is  less grounded because the people who hate furries that much would more likely than not, NOT be found playing this game. So I really think it does just come down to the fact looking at such bright colors for too long can hurt people's eyes and they would rather avoid it or that some people have the perception that it is "immature" and "child like" somehow. Still, it gives them no right to treat you rudely out of character.

Offline F a t a l

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Whether their colors coordinate, or not, neon colored characters tend to hurt the eyes of the player looking at them.

I doubt that they actually hurt the players' eyes. Sure, people complain all the time about how the neon characters 'burn their eyes', but I somewhat doubt that they do. Sure, they stick out a bit more, but I've never had a character actually burn or hurt my eyes. I think when people say this that they may be exaggerating a bit. And if it does, they can just turn down their screen brightness.
Found in-game as F a t a l
Frequently hanging around on characters Daiquiri and Paenitere.

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Could just be me with my sensitive eyes, but the worst offenders of sparklyness really do hurt a little. Especially when they're suddenly all up in your grill, like if you're a pup at the AC and you accidentally look in the host character's direction. I don't have anything against a character simply because of their colours, I mean it's up to the player who made it, not me.
Though you can't deny, the "sparkledog" or "glittercat" look is the go-to for most people up for a spot of trolling. This has created the stereotype we are so familiar with today. As for characters who only have a little sparkle as an accent, I suppose those snubbing them simply assume they are less "literate" or a worse roleplayer because their look isn't perfectly realistic. An unfair judgement in most cases, though I must admit it's occasionally accurate. Nothing like having a "semi-lit" member covered in blue swirls barge into your "literate", realistic roleplay halfway through.
But of course, judging a character purely on appearance alone isn't a good thing. Some people whose character designs I initially sniffed at turned out to be lovely people, and better roleplayers than me. All we can do is observe and give others a chance I suppose, and try to make educated decisions.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
Well, to answer your wonderment, the only reason I don't exactly prefer glittercats/sparkledogs is because, like most have stated before me, they tend to hurt my eyes. I honestly have nothing against them nor do I purposely stroll up and shun them. However, it tends to catch me off guard to turn my camera around to take in the bright neon hues of one of these individuals. Sometimes it even hurts, with my pupils constricting so rapidly and everything. However, when I do spot one, I just sit idly by and let them have their fun. It isn't like there's a rule against neons but everyone has their own opinion on things.
gone

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
I think if someones eyes are hurt by neons they need to see an optician because no ones eyes should be hurt by a bit of bright colour, how do you cope when going out on a sunny day? If I liked having bright coloured characters I would hate having to put up with people whining at me, claiming I'm melting their faces with my sparkle. Bright colours are everywhere, get over it! 

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Well, I think that it depends on the sparkledog/glittercat. I dont mind the sensible ones - Their colors match well. But the ones who have crazy markings random neon colors, chances are they are a noob who knows no better or a troll. One of my main characters is considered a sparklecat (look at my sig), but I only use her to chat and hang out with friends. And for the " They're melting my eyes!" Complaint, turn you screen brightness  down, it's not rocket science.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline hellensilverwolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • babayagaga
    • View Profile
You know what hurts MY eyes? completely white characters. I tried to download preset pack or whatever, but too lazy and all in all, you can't download every preset that exists! I don't like so called "neon" characters but I never show that to them. You know, some people are always looking for reasons to tell other people what they are doing wrong. But those white characters just ruin my virtual life. Ingame, I try to be as realistic as possible and I do not mean looks. I mean acting like I'm really there, and that what I mentioned above simply destroy it. It's not their fault, I know most of them do look unique and faar better than me because of presets. I think something just needs to be done about it. I wish I could see presets instead of completely white shapes.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:23:00 am by <Silverwolf> »

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
You know what hurts MY eyes? completely white characters. I tried to download preset pack or whatever, but too lazy and all in all, you can't download every preset that exists! I don't like so called "neon" characters but I never show that to them. You know, some people are always looking for reasons to tell other people what they are doing wrong. But those white characters just ruin my virtual life. Ingame, I try to be as realistic as possible and I do not mean looks. I mean acting like I'm really there, and that what I mentioned above simply destroy it. It's not their fault, I know most of them do look unique and faar better than me because of presets. I think something just needs to be done about it. I wish I could see presets instead of completely white shapes.

It's not presets. It's Mass Markings. If you so wish, feel free to PM me and I'll guide you step by step into getting rid of those 'white' characters so you can see everyone accordingly.
gone

Offline hellensilverwolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • babayagaga
    • View Profile
oh believe me, I'll be grateful

oh nevermind, I tried myself and it wasn't even hard a I excpected. Can't believe I'm finally going to rest from this
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:54:09 am by <Silverwolf> »