Author Topic: Blind Downloading, Do you do it? [Maps]  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Blind Downloading, Do you do it? [Maps]
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:31:04 pm »
I'm just curious given the number of replies to threads informing people that they need to include screenshots with their map download link, do any of you refuse to download maps that do not provide screenshots? Or on the other hand, do any of you download the maps without knowing whats in it/without a screenshot or two?

I personally don't most of the time because I am a map maker myself. I have made roughly 40 or so maps myself (although I do not keep every single last one in the Cape or installed) and that's a LOT of room to take up in the Cape. On top of that, I have two or three public maps I like, as well as the maps that my friends make as many of them are map makers too. So its really not worth my while to download something I cannot see because it can be a pain to remove if I don't like it.

Sure, a name helps like "Sunrise Forest" helps some but lets be realistic. Everyone has their own idea of what a "forest" should look like. So if you stuck a bunch of same-size oak or fir trees really close together on a single grass tex...I'm sorry but while you may call it a forest, I won't and odds are, I won't want it. And if I have no screenshots to know if your forest is like that or not, I'm not going to waste my time trying to find out. On the flip side of things,  you could make something really spectacular but if you don't give screenshots, how is anyone ever to know what it looks like?

Just about the only time I "download blind" is from a friend who has made maps before that I  know with some confidence its probably worth getting without having to see it first.

So my question again is, do you download maps from threads that do not provide at least a picture or two? Or do they have to have pictures?

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Downloading, Do you do it? [Maps]
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »
I don't download maps blindly. As a map maker, I do not like to download maps with a bunch of trees clumped together with the WaterMill heightmap. Even if there are screenshots, it takes a lot of work to install and most maps I've downloaded are full of trolls. ;/

And like you said, it's hard to delete and remove them.
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »
Nope. Just nope. I don't do it. I like to know what's in a map and how large it is before I even consider downloading it. Especially since my computer has limited download capacity v.v What if, for example, someone described the map as a realistic forest-mountain map, when in reality there are rainbow bubbles and orange grass everywhere. ::)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06:27 pm »
I don't, ever, least not anymore. I used to do it when I would join mapped role-plays or randomly scroll through the available maps. Taking notice to the amount of space it was adding, plus to the extra meshes, and making maps myself, it lagged my computer. Thus, I don't just download any map. Nowadays, before I get a map, I like to see what it looks like through screenshots.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »
I never download a map without screenshots... I can't really find a reason why I should, because I like really scenic maps with lots to look at and plenty of space to run around and explore. A screenshot or two (or a few!) helps with sneak peeks and gives me an idea of what the map will look like once it's in my game before I actually go around and run around in it. I also don't download maps without screenshots because I don't want two maps in my game that look very similar, and of course I don't know if it's similar to a map I already have unless I can see what it looks like.

Offline Arcanine101

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • What even
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:15:23 pm »
I only download maps if they are for a roleplay i have a friend in that knows it's a nice map, the map was made by somebody i know really well, or it provides screenshots. the only few times i haven't done this is downloading HorseLand, and a warrior cats map called Warriors. Buuut yeah kinda made me think about how i'm gonna post my upcoming map pack xD
Not using this account anymore, found at Mapletyler ingame

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:09 pm »
Nope, I do not abide in downloading maps if I haven't viewed any form of preview to what I am expecting to download, or a screenshot. Often, if I'm not having a lazy streak, I'll aid those in suggesting them to post a screenshot and how to post one successfully. Though, until they do, I won't click that download link. Not meaning to sound offensive here, but like Silhouette has stated, I won't waste my time finding out what a map looks like if it has no screenshots then once I download it, the map turns out to be something I do not prefer. Quite a hassle.
The only time I do blind download is if someone close to me on Skype messages me flailing about then stuffs them files down my throat only to drag me by my tail to the map to explore it. Other than that, I'll hardly ever blind download.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:33:20 pm by Vespian »
gone

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:45:23 am »
I don't do it. Usually when I come across a map thread and see no screenshots, I usually ask the person to put up some screenshots. And I have learned from experience that whenever a map maker doesn't know how to put up screenshots, then it's usually one of their first few maps, and those are the kinds of maps I usually end up deleting.
Farewell everyone<3

Offline avomeir

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • "What a twist of events..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 10:18:53 am »
I personally do not take pleasure in being tricked, such as when someone is to say; "This map is wonderful, big, realistic, ect., ect." Then I download this map, expecting something grand and amazing, only to find I have been deceived, for it is simply a tiny map with nothing. I no longer download maps that do not provide atleast a minimum of 2-3 screenshots. It takes up too much room in Cape, and is simply a waste of my time to do so. Therefore I take precautions to ensure I am not lied to again. 
Find me in game on Volaticus.~
Signature - TrinityZiel@dA -- Avatar - Attsos.
Somewhat inactive via forums due to a variety of different things.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »
I never download maps blindly. I always need some screenshots to see if I like the map or not.

Like Tormentor said, they could say it's "big, detailed, ect", when it's really another version of the watermill with extra trees.