Author Topic: REBLOG; New Account- Is "Literate" the right term to use{Once more; open :I}  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ClassicalLogic

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Hello,
Once again I must remind you that my previous account; LogicalNonsense101, was deleted due to my login failing. So I have decided to re-open this chat just to gather more opinion's on this subject of
"literacy terms when in role-playing(RP)"

Now we all know that it is nearly impossible to change the normal, everyday FH slang when describing a Rp's literature standards, but it can be possible to try and influence more group leaders to begin describing their standards in a more 'correct' way other than using literate, semi-literate, and illiterate because their general meaning is about education and the ability to read & write. How is this possible you ask? Well, if people who tend to lead RP groups, or help advertise in any way(Websites, Forums, In-Game, etc.) can use the following terms:

Literate:

Grammatically-Correct
Advanced Literature
Experienced Role-Player

Semi-Literate:

Loose

Illiterate:

Inexperienced Member

So, otherwise, you CAN choose to use this and maybe some people will start to follow you and then others...Think of the possibilities! Thank you for your time once more :P

Sir Equius

D--> Hmm... I don't think it was necessary to make another thread about this topic again. If the topic you made before is still up and accessible for people to post in, then there was no need to repeat it.

D--> As far as knowing whether or not "literate" or "illiterate" is the right word to use, I don't think it is. "Illiterate" is defined as someone who cannot read or write or type, and not necessarily their writing or typing skills.

Offline ClassicalLogic

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
Well, it seems that you did not carefully read my post. I rebloged this topic due to my other account getting deleted by my permission, not just to spam or whatever.

Secondly, I appreciate your opinion, though it would really be hard to suddenly change FH's common slang which is "literate" and such.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:31:09 pm by Catherine Morton »

Offline Kamaria

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
It is my experience that the terms: Literate, Semi Literate and Illiterate are the accepted terms used on many RP sites and games and not just FH. Many create a virtual pet type sites use these terms in their RP forums. I have never heard anyone speak against these terms on any of the sites I've been on except here. I do agree that the terms are not correct if you go by the dictionary but they have been accepted RP terms for more than a decade. from my personal experience. I don't care if the FH community wish to use different terms as long as they are easy to understand. I have seen 'Advanced' and 'Intermediate' in place of 'Literate' and 'Semi-Literate' with the former being largely paragraph or multiple paragraph required RPs and of wolf speakers.

In my opinion as long as the RP definitions of the terms are clearly understood I don't see why the terms need to be changed as words are known to change definition over time and can have different meanings in different settings, such as Literate and Illiterate meaning ability to read and write in a educational/school, etc. setting vs writing a RP post in a game.
My Characters:

Kamaria(Lioness), Pucka(flying feline creature),Florida(Cougar), Lela(Wolf), Tippy(Cat), Lazarus(Tasmanian Tiger), Roc M Hippo(Hippo), Spots(feline creature)