Author Topic: What's Your Opinion on Tags?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
What's Your Opinion on Tags?
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:07:31 am »
You know, when someone's character is named something like "Lilly F Mare"

What do you think about tags?

M and F: First let me tell you, I just thought that was some cool ting people put in their names and that M and F happened to be popular. You could put any letter in your name. So I kept thinking you could put X or something in your name;  ::)
M and F annoy me the most. A lot of people have them, but I just think they're unnecessary. Sometimes, I will put it if my character is mistaken for the opposite gender too often, but that's about it. You can just as easily find out with roeplaying, too. Like, you can obviously assume someone would be female by: She walked around the creature shyly. You can assume the character is female by that. There is other reasons too, but I'm too lazy to list them.

Mare, Wolf, Lion, etc.: I don't mind these too much, unless your character is very able to tell what animal it is.

Pack/Pride/Group Tags: I kinda hate having them.. but you kinda need them xP

Your opinion on tags like these? Do you use them, or not?

Offline miikarenn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • yoooooo
    • View Profile
    • the tumblr
Re: What's Your Opinion on Tags?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:33:26 am »
I, personally, don't use them, but my characters aren't usually very gender-specific.  I don't mind either way what people call them.

I feel like it's kind of unnecessary but I don't mind if people use them.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:48:16 am »
I can learn to ignore it, but I personally don't like them.
I think it wastes space and it would be better to read the character's bio so you can learn not just about the gender, age, ect, but you can also learn about the personalty. I guess group tags are useful though. Most feline and canines are most likely either a wolf or a lion, but if it's a animal most arn't familiar with, I'd put it in the name just so people don't get confused.

Offline Tigerheart08

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Tigerheart08 in-game
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:00:36 am »
I hate it when warrior cat characters uppercase the second part of their name! >:(
    Like SnowPelt instead of the correct way being Snowpelt. It makes me mad cause I go by the books.

Follow the damned.. I have lost the way again

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:04:07 am »
Well sometimes being the old person I am will call everyone a girl unless they say "Im a boy" Usually I don't find tags that bad really. Saves the time for me to click in there bios just to see if its a guy or girl. (when taking the lazy card) Sometimes tags makes people look like a whole as well, such as popular groups tags. So do I get annoyed by them...not really. But yes this is a very very interesting topic
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:03 am »
I really don't mind seeing tags on character's names.... unless I find it really unnecesary. What I mean is, if you're obviously playing as a lion, with the mane and the tail and the features, there really is no reason to put "M Lion" or "F Lioness" in your name. I mean it's obvious you are a lion, with that big fluffy mane or that lioness apperance. It's not like someone will mistake you for a tiger or something... but what do I know?

Out in Bonfire Island, whenever I see people roleplaying as horses I often times see them with "M Stallion", or "F Mare", or "F Filly" etc. Stallion, mare, colt, and filly are pretty explanitory when it comes to what the gender of your horse is. If you put "stallion", or "colt" then there is no need for the "M". Just like there is no need for the "F" if you're a mare, or a filly. Everyone knows that stallions and colts are male horses, and mares and fillies are females. It doesn't take an animal biologist to know that. But who am I to argue with individuals who want to make sure that people know what their gender is? I tried telling them that logic, and they pretty much went "OMG I dont care!"

I think tags are fine if someone is roleplaying as an animal that people aren't too familiar with; such as jaguar, margay, bobcat, jaguarundi, dhol, tankui (raccoon dog), jackal, prairie dog, bear, porcupine, otter, rabbit, weasle, skunk, hawk, owl, ect. That way other players will know what kind of animal species is near. Like from time to time I will see an owl character up in a tree and be all like "Hey lookie there. An owl!" Just to acknowledge their species and their presence.

So that's what I think of tags.
Inactive

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:06 am »
My opinion on tags... I only use the gender tag if necessary most of the time, which I rarely put in there.

The species? If the species isn't obvious, yes, I will put the species in the nametag. Who wants to be confused with something else, eh? Group stuff or short for the species sometimes such as GS for German Shepard is needed sometimes, and can be a bit annoying, but mostly the group tags really. They are needed also.
But people don't need to add the F to their name if the specie name stands for female of the actual species. Same goes for males.
It's pretty ridiculous to put that there sometimes...

Pointless tags I don't like. Tags that have a pretty good purpose though I can handle. :3
Not much of an opinion. Lady Alizarin pretty much explains very well.
Anyway... 'nuff said.

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:41 am »
I don't really mind tags either, but now I'm so used to seeing M and F it's like I sometimes can't tell if someone is male or female just by the looks or name XD

One pointless argument I saw was when someone had the name 'Slenderman F' and a lot of other players were like "Slenderman is suppose to be a BOY blah blah blahh", so then Slenderman F started saying everyone was sexist and whatnot -.-'
I left because they started asking me questions...

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline KibaWolf73

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 12:39:01 pm »
Although I feel quite unconfortable with using tags myself and I use them only when extremely necessary, I see nothing wrong with people who do use them, since it might be mandatory for their group. Unless it's a very obvious thing, like Simba M Lion. Oh look, it's a huge bulky golden feline with a mane! I don't know about you, but I bet 5$ it's a female hippo.

I generally don't use tags because, to me at least, it looks as if my name is cluttered and the fact that I enjoy counting how many wolf packs invitations I manage to get on my witch.

Ramble done, sorry if I may seem incoherent.

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »
Oh, tagz. I never used them, and I don't think you should use them unless your character looks rather, let's say, girly but is a male. As Vanish stated, it's sometimes unnecessary as your character is a really big feline, golden, blue eyes, has the smile emote, no mane. Hmmm, is that a coyote? I'm pretty sure it is! Putting "F" or "Lioness" makes no sense to me.