Author Topic: English, not "wolfspeak."  (Read 4514 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
English, not "wolfspeak."
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:11:13 am »
What I cannot understand is why exactly we call wolfspeak "wolfspeak?" What I mean is, why do people call a language something else or naming a "language" wolfspeak when it's simply English. Now, let's set aside the fact that wolfspeak, is indeed, in my opinion, a travesty to literature, and hypothetically suggest that the terms of wolfspeak did use correct terminology. With this in mind, we are using correct grammar and descriptive writing like, for instance:

Ex post: Though the afternoon was tedious and linear, the caramel wolf trotted forward. The canine had a carefree and apathetic look in its eyes, its pelt somewhat neglected, appearing to be a scruffy ball of fur. It was intending to head towards the far reigns of the wooded biome in attempts locate a friend that wondered out of sight.  

From this post and scenario, would I be considered a "wolfspeaker?" Probably so. Now, let's use the same post, but with a cat this time.  

Ex post: Though the afternoon was tedious and linear, the caramel lion trotted forward. The feline had a carefree and apathetic look in its eyes, its pelt somewhat neglected, appearing to be a scruffy ball of fur. It was intending to head towards the far reigns of the wooded biome in attempts locate a friend that wondered out of sight.  

From this post, would I be a "wolfspeaker?" No. Though, I'm using the same kind of post with the same terminology, I would not, because this is not a wolf character.

So, it leads me to ask the question, why do we "separate" one language term from another? I can understand if wolfspeak was a completely different language on its own, only understandable to other wolves, like for example, bir could mean bird, tura could mean tree, and so on, just a completely made-up language altogether. The best example I can give is imagine if in Skyrim or Harry Potter where there is a tongue to be spoken like Dovah and snake language. Instead of a different-sounding tongue, if they spoke in English entirely and called it snake-speaking? It really wouldn't be a foreign language, would it? It would just be English.

To my point, let's please just call it for what it is. English. Not wolfspeak, English. If it's not another language or fashion of tongue, just call the language for what it is and leave it at that. In addition, take time to research on your own language, there are so many new things to learn everyday. Don't try to "sound intelligent" or use the terms that people are familiar with, be individualized. Create your own art using words. Be the one to take the initiative and be able say with confidence and with no argument, "Yes, I know what I'm talking about."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:13:15 am by FoxPhilosopher »
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
Re: English, not "wolfspeak."
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:50:10 am »
The origin of the term "WolfSpeak" originated from the game of WolfQuest, the chat filter being so picky that extreme and often normally unused words had to replace simple phrases. The meaning of the name is really just another way of describing the way for writing in the style some people grew accustomed to on WolfQuest, "WolfSpeak" of course is simply "WolfQuest-Speak" shortened.

Now on to your example post. In no way would I consider that "WolfSpeaking," but more towards a literate paragraph RP post. Here's what I've seen described more often as "WolfSpeaking;"

<NameTag> The chocolate fae leaned on back on her columns, swishing her banner against the brute's forehead. She huffed, closing her opticals and turning her cranium towards the baby blue sky. The fae raked her daggers against the tectonics, showing her pearl blades as she drummed a warning at the brute.

I apologize for the bad example v.v (darn my grammar instincts! XD) Anyhoo, WolfSpeaking isn't so much using advanced grammar as it is using incorrect grammar. Banner is often used to in place of tail, cranium for head, daggers for claws/nails and fae/brute for female/male characters. I'm sure there are many other words used, but those are the first which come to mind. Now let's say the first time, it was with a wolf character. If I saw a lion use the same paragraph, I wouldn't think it was weird at all to call them a wolf-speaker.  (Just my way of thinking)

That last paragraph is basically the idea of the whole post, summed up, right there. I believe the reason it isn't called English is either because it is not proper English, or because the name from WolfQuest just stuck. The last few scentances need no comment, and so I'll leave it at that.

~End Rant~

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:05:44 am »
TheWarrior pretty much hit the hammer right on the nail when it came to an explaination. Those examples you gave in you example posts are in no way considered wolfspeak. You didn't use any sort of wolfspeak terms in thoses example posts. If you would have used words such as "brute", "fae", "cranium", "banner", "orbs", "daggers", "thorns", "receivers" etc, then it would have been wolfspeak.
It's true that wolfspeak came from WolfQuest. But I don't understand why they would need to substitute words for eyes, ears, nose, tail, and a few others, since those words were not filtered in the chats. I don't know really, it's been ages since I played WolfQuest. And who knows what kind of new terms are brewing up now since the chat filter is changed frequently.
Inactive

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:05:12 am »
You didn't use any sort of wolfspeak terms in thoses example posts. If you would have used words such as "brute", "fae", "cranium", "banner", "orbs", "daggers", "thorns", "receivers" etc, then it would have been wolfspeak.
I didn't  use any terms that defined wolfspeak as we know it to just give the suggestion of a "what if," scenario. What if, it did use the correct grammar and was called wolfspeak. That is why I did not include any incorrect grammar commonly used like "orbs" or "banner." I felt if I did, it wouldn't make sense for what I was trying to address. 
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline nubeees

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:59 pm »
I always find it funny when people use "Fae" for a shortened version of "Female"
Lets look at what Google defines Fae as:

FAE (a device consisting of a container of fuel and two explosive charges; the first charge bursts open the fuel container at a predetermined height and spreads the fuel in a cloud that mixes with atmospheric oxygen; the second charge detonates the cloud which creates an enormous blast wave and incinerates whatever is below)

That is the first thing it came up with...

Offline iDubbbz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:43 am »
  Wolfspeak is not "naming a language"  it is simply "naming a way of role play"   perhaps a way very confusing, complicating, and sometimes annoying to players wanting a normal role play.  Role play isn't a novel, its a way of socializing and having fun and enjoying time.  You don't need a scientific term for every action or bodily part in role play.  By role playing ,as me and several other veteran role players would call "wolfspeak"   , is in deed annoying and confusing because most of us are not English  professors nor are we scientists.  Role play should be more simple so it can be user friendly.

Offline DancingWithDeath

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I'm just a scenecore sparkledog lmao (P.L.U.R.!)
    • Mayahzdog09
    • myspace-dot-com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 12:03:48 pm »
How much I hate wolfspeak.
If this post was made before June 2015, STOP! My views have changed since then.
Ingame as Mayahzdog09, DancingWithDeath, or Midnight 12!

Offline ~|Cookie|~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »
I find wolfspeak very much confusing. Everybody above just explained what, and why wolfspeak is used. It's pretty mch adding science to roleplaying and it gets annoying. I've only been here about two days and i've already ran into powerplayers, godmodders and wolfspeakers. But wolfspeak isn't as bad as god modding and powerplaying. But anyways yeah.

Amazing siggy by Rita! Thank you floof!
The amazing Derp!
Find me in game as ~|Cookie|~!

ZombieKitteh

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:44:40 pm »
I don't truely understand what you're asking about or trying to address. Asking why it's called wolf-speak is like asking why we peg people as literate, semi-literate, advance- or why do we call certain characters in a roleplay or story a Mary-sue?

It's already been said, but you're not even using 'wolf-speak' in your examples. I'd call those posts literate, short literate posts mind you.

In reality any animal roleplayer can use 'wolf-speak', doesn't matter what the character is. If you're a lion and you still call your eyes orbs and your tail a tassel then I'm still going to laugh and call you out for it. Msot people don't realize that, hey yes you can use these terms in other roleplays asides from wolves. I have seen it and in my own personal opinion it makes you look iliterate no matter how you do it. It has nothing to do with being 'creative' or artistic, it just makes you appear iliterate.

I was in a rolepaly one time where someone had flicked a pebble at my character with their tail. In thir post they said some really odd word for tail.. so I Google'ed it. And the rough definition was gravy. They, flicked a pebble at me. With gravy.

Off of Feral-Heart or when not dealing with wolf roleplayers who do it, you call them elitists. So I suppose that'd be the round-a-bout term for everyone. Wolf-speak is just what people most normally know it by because it's more frequent in wolf roleplays. That's what me and people I've roleplayed in the past has refereed them to. Elitists and elite-speak.

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:00:08 pm »
I don't truely understand what you're asking about or trying to address. Asking why it's called wolf-speak is like asking why we peg people as literate, semi-literate, advance- or why do we call certain characters in a roleplay or story a Mary-sue?

It's already been said, but you're not even using 'wolf-speak' in your examples. I'd call those posts literate, short literate posts mind you.

In reality any animal roleplayer can use 'wolf-speak', doesn't matter what the character is. If you're a lion and you still call your eyes orbs and your tail a tassel then I'm still going to laugh and call you out for it. Msot people don't realize that, hey yes you can use these terms in other roleplays asides from wolves. I have seen it and in my own personal opinion it makes you look iliterate no matter how you do it. It has nothing to do with being 'creative' or artistic, it just makes you appear iliterate.

I was in a rolepaly one time where someone had flicked a pebble at my character with their tail. In thir post they said some really odd word for tail.. so I Google'ed it. And the rough definition was gravy. They, flicked a pebble at me. With gravy.

Off of Feral-Heart or when not dealing with wolf roleplayers who do it, you call them elitists. So I suppose that'd be the round-a-bout term for everyone. Wolf-speak is just what people most normally know it by because it's more frequent in wolf roleplays. That's what me and people I've roleplayed in the past has refereed them to. Elitists and elite-speak.

Its not refereed to as "wolf-speak" because wolf-characters /only/ use it. Anyone can use "wolf-speak" it was just dubbed /wolf/ speak over anything else because it originated from the game "WolfQuest". In theory, the way its used, we could call it "Chickenspeak" if we wanted but "Chicken" was'nt in the title of the game most believe it to have originated from. The name of the phrase used to describe it isn't relevant to how or who by it is used. But I agree, in any case, no matter what you call it, its still incorrect/not proper grammar usage.

Anyway for those of you claiming it brings science into a RP, let me  point out that most of the terms used "Pillars, tassle, ivories, etc" are not scientific terms and the few scientific terms that ARE used are used incorrectly most of the time.