Author Topic: Coloration Attraction  (Read 5384 times)

AlphaEclipse

Coloration Attraction
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:19:35 pm »
First I would like to say that if this was already talked about feel free to lock/delete. (It seems like such an interesting topic in my opinion.)

Ok. Has anyone noticed that most wolves/canines (not felines) are usually some hue of dark grey, black or white? I know there aren't many other plain colors but why these three? It doesn't bother me really but I never see anyone with brown or light grey colorations. It just always seemed strange to me. Here is a good example:

Most of the wolves here (at the MC) are some shade of black, white, or dark grey. There is only one 'brownish' colored wolf here. I've also noticed most of the canines have the same markings also. The markings seem to follow:

Skeleton markings that are the same color as the pelt:

Tiger markings same as the pelt:

And a few others. I never see people using the same markings on felines really. I just find it strange that people seem to like black, grey, and white colored wolves better than brown, peach, and light grey.

Does anyone notice this? (And no, I have nothing against people using black, grey or white colored charries.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:28:17 pm by AlphaEclipse »

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
Re: Coloration Attraction
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »
Hmm... This is a point I've never thought about.
Though, the main ones I see are pure black, pure black w/ white underbelly, and pure white.
Sometimes I see shades of gray.

I think brown and light gray are just those colors that take too long to make.
Pitch black? Slide everything to the left!
Pure white? The opposite!
Grays? Just plop the sliders next to each other somewhere on the scale.
But brown? Nah, just do black, it's faster.

Besides, black is just that color that means 'spooky' or 'mysterious' or 'evil', and is used a lot.
A lot of people think of black and blood red as 'evil', when really, it's WHITE and dark red.
So, therefor, evil characters must ALWAYS be black because they are.
Though people seem to forget people aren't just born evil, but what am I to say?

And as stated before, the colors are easier to make.
So...
Yea.
Trans, gay, and ready to play

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:38:03 pm »
Hmm... This is a point I've never thought about.
Though, the main ones I see are pure black, pure black w/ white underbelly, and pure white.
Sometimes I see shades of gray.

I think brown and light gray are just those colors that take too long to make.
Pitch black? Slide everything to the left!
Pure white? The opposite!
Grays? Just plop the sliders next to each other somewhere on the scale.
But brown? Nah, just do black, it's faster.

Besides, black is just that color that means 'spooky' or 'mysterious' or 'evil', and is used a lot.
A lot of people think of black and blood red as 'evil', when really, it's WHITE and dark red.
So, therefor, evil characters must ALWAYS be black because they are.
Though people seem to forget people aren't just born evil, but what am I to say?

And as stated before, the colors are easier to make.
So...
Yea.
People do usually use black charries to represent a demon or 'person with a horrific past'. They have bright red eyes that are usually the glowing slit or the 'fire' eye and are all black. Even their markings. It just gets kind of boring seeing the same colored charries all the time. I usually take my time when creating charries like my brown wolf OOC Sagitta and my blonde colored wolf Xylina. xD It doesn't take very long to slide the tabs all the way to the left.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:44:28 pm »
Yeah the typical FeralHeart wolf/canine is usually jet black, really dark grey or white, or a two of them at once. I'm not sure why this is. I think maybe people generally see black or white wolves as 'cool' and so they make characters like that. It seems to be a bit of a trend, since a lot of people make these charries and have perhaps caught on the this 'black wolf, white wolf' trend.
Particularly in Bonfire, I rarely see a canine that is any other neutral colour (about from the German shepherds), which I think is a real shame. I like brownish coloured wolves and it would be nice to see some people breaking the trend.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:52:12 pm »
Yeah the typical FeralHeart wolf/canine is usually jet black, really dark grey or white, or a two of them at once. I'm not sure why this is. I think maybe people generally see black or white wolves as 'cool' and so they make characters like that. It seems to be a bit of a trend, since a lot of people make these charries and have perhaps caught on the this 'black wolf, white wolf' trend.
Particularly in Bonfire, I rarely see a canine that is any other neutral colour (about from the German shepherds), which I think is a real shame. I like brownish coloured wolves and it would be nice to see some people breaking the trend.

I know exactly what you mean. It's a shame people don't make brown, light grey, or blonde charries. Whenever I do see them it's very nice but almost strange because they're so uncommon. When I first started playing Feral Heart I noticed this but I never really questioned it. I just went along and made dark colored carries, but I never made 0,0,0 because it just seemed to unnatural and to unrealistic for my liking.

Offline JGree

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Dog's body, wolf's spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 10:42:45 pm »
I've got a brown wolf character named Tavarnis and a brownish half-demon wolf named Hunson Abadeer. I just don't use them very often :(

Anyway, I pretty much agree with y'all. Everywhere I go, I see these jet black and pure white wolves. Last time I checked, wolves could be black, white, reddish, russet, gray and maybe even tan. (pardon my lack of knowledge about wolf coloration.)

As to why these monochromatic characters are so abundant, it's probably a mixture of being easy to make and the cliche of "white=good, black=evil". Either way, not too creative and definitely not unique.

Offline Twin

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Khepri
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 01:48:16 am »

Blah, I guess I'm one of those people. Just more of a blue-grey. ;o;
I didn't do it for evil/good thing though, I did it to resemble Anubis.
LET THE DOMINO ANIMALS RULE THE WORLD, FUFUFUFUFU.

On a side note, I'm sick of black and white creatures and the neon ones. Both are overly common and annoying. :I Well the black and white ones not as much as the neon ones. I hope you like eyesores :I!

Offline Loopyloola

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 02:38:51 am »
I know right! most characters are pure black!

Offline Cherryheart

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • shrek lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 02:45:30 am »
Funny thing is I saw the exact same type of wolf with black pelt, white underfur and black tiger markings :'D
I have to say, I do have a rather dark grey wolf myself, his eyes being green, and his name simply being Sparrow. His past isn't horrificly horrible with his parents dying from hunters and he having to live alone as in orphan begging to be adopted in bonfire island however. He's just a dark woof.

i sleep with a gun under my pillow pet

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 04:05:26 am »

Blah, I guess I'm one of those people. Just more of a blue-grey. ;o;
I didn't do it for evil/good thing though, I did it to resemble Anubis.
LET THE DOMINO ANIMALS RULE THE WORLD, FUFUFUFUFU.

On a side note, I'm sick of black and white creatures and the neon ones. Both are overly common and annoying. :I Well the black and white ones not as much as the neon ones. I hope you like eyesores :I!

XD Yours is purty cool. I think it's unique. I mean ALL black or ALL grey. Yours has some nice colors. c:

Funny thing is I saw the exact same type of wolf with black pelt, white underfur and black tiger markings :'D
I have to say, I do have a rather dark grey wolf myself, his eyes being green, and his name simply being Sparrow. His past isn't horrificly horrible with his parents dying from hunters and he having to live alone as in orphan begging to be adopted in bonfire island however. He's just a dark woof.

xD See what I mean?