Author Topic: Where are the monkeys?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
Where are the monkeys?
« on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:25 pm »
This is just a random thought I had when I realized, we hardly have any primate characters (besides humans). I mean, think about it, you barely see any monkeys roaming about the world. We see sheep, deer, owls, but no monkeys? Lol, I find it ironic with a world of animals, we lack the monkeys. Does anyone agree or disagree? Where are the lemurs and apes, folks? XD
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

~Firepool~

Re: Where are the monkeys?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41:54 pm »

You know, I never realized this until you pointed it out.
In fact, I didn't think of there being primate characters on Feralheart. The very small amount of Humanoid characters found in the popular maps such as Flourite, forced me to automatically assume no one would ever think of creating a primate.

Then again, Humanoid characters tend to be found in the more unrealistic, less popular maps like Sky's Rim and Atlantis, where I happen have a few humanoids stationed.  (Though Bonfire is an exception to this.)

I think it depends on who you are as a roleplayer and what maps you tend to hang out in. I happen to mostly be around Flourite, Sky's Rim and occasionally Atlantis. I've never seen any primate characters.  I think your right though. There needs to be some Primates and other species. Seeing we have so many already, I'm surprised Primates haven't been introduced to Feralheart

Floof for you because you pointed this out. ^^
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:44:13 pm by ??i??????? »

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:14:29 pm »
This is very strange. Especially for Feral Heart, the game with the weirdest characters ever. xD Maybe people just don't like RPing as primates like monkeys because they don't know the species well enough? It also may be difficult to RP in maps that aren't private because what are ya' going to say in Fluorite? Swings from tree to tree? I don't think that's possible.

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:34:09 am »
I have a character who is of an original species of mine called Kirua. They are basically the decedents of homo sapiens, that devolved to be more ape-like or monkey-like. I usually just call her a "monkey-girl from the future."

But yes, I have noticed this as well. I think it's probably because most people see monkeys as silly animals, not serious roleplay characters . Personally, I love non-human primates and I think they are seriously underrated animals.

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:17:39 am »
I made a (serious) chimpanzee character once. This topic makes me want to start using him again.

I love primates in general (meaning humans, too) but chimpanzees and gorillas are my favorites. I'm honestly disappointed that there aren't more primate characters and primate rps in an animal MMORPG like FeralHeart. They are so intelligent and have such complex societal structures and family bonds, which make for an untapped gold mine of new kinds of animal rps.

I agree with AlphaEclipse and Queen Chrysalis. Primates are very underrated, and not a whole lot of people seem to know much about them aside from the facts that they are related to humans, they eat bananas, and live in trees.

But then again, not a whole lot of folks in FeralHeart know a great deal about wolves or horses, but you see plenty of those kinds of rps around, right?

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 07:52:06 am »
This is just a random thought I had when I realized, we hardly have any primate characters (besides humans). I mean, think about it, you barely see any monkeys roaming about the world. We see sheep, deer, owls, but no monkeys? Lol, I find it ironic with a world of animals, we lack the monkeys. Does anyone agree or disagree? Where are the lemurs and apes, folks? XD

Oh mer god, yes you are right. I didn't know about the monkeys and apes, people might just care about other things because other people do it as well.

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »
Lol, this is kind of funny. I've never seen a primate on FH before, and it would be cool to see more species rps. But at the same time I'm thinking,
"How the heck do you Rp as a monkey?"

Like I could just see a group of silver-backed gorillas in Fluorite climbing up trees and having random debates XD. Okay, I'll be serious now... Anyway, I kind of understand why there aren't any...

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »
People would most probably choose an animal the most appealing to Role-play. Primates and monkeys are not pretty interesting to role-play, thus the people choose more fancier animals whereas monkeys are not appealing by looks or just role-playing in General. Owls, deer, horse, humans, they're all somehow interesting in their own way, not to mention pretty as a species.

To sum it up, people don't give a fart about monkeys.

Offline Abomine

• Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »
FeralHeart, I am VERY disappointed in you. There are billions of wonderful, amazing species of animals on this planet, and thousands of them are social, intelligent animals which have amazing potential for new and fun rp experiences. Yet, for some reason, you guys just can't think outside the box, or go beyond your run-of-the-mill wolves and lions and Warrior cats.

Why would chimpanzees be great for an rp? I'll show you.

What just happened here in this video is the basic plot of most Warrior cat rps and dA wolf comics: two rival clans/packs waging war over dwindling resources and territory. Notice how the war party walked in a straight line to hide their numbers, just like wolves do.

You guys no longer have any excuses. Of course, other than, "Ew chimps r ugly".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:31:58 pm by Abomine »

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline Satsuki

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 05:15:05 pm »
You know what... You have a point right there... I never notice not one monkey is in this game. If you want to point a monkey out though, you might as well ask for cows,snakes, Armadillos, badgers- Let me stop. I am sure a monkey role play can be pretty interesting just like a wolf, Lion, horse or a cat role play. :3 I won't be rolling as a monkey though... Like others... It does not appeal to me. xD

"This awesome drawing of Valarie is by the great and awesome LordSuragaha~"