Author Topic: Expert Apprentices and Fast Learners?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Expert Apprentices and Fast Learners?
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:59:55 pm »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:48:50 am by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline Tigerheart08

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Tigerheart08 in-game
    • View Profile
Re: Expert Apprentices and Fast Learners?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:56:50 pm »
     Lol It's so true though. I see this constantly and sometimes I think "What the hell is the point of training you then."

Follow the damned.. I have lost the way again

Offline cloudfire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:42:39 pm »
So true.

? Signature by Pokrovka ?

Offline Ex0rcist

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • Slow Ex0 is slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:03:31 pm »
I've been noticing this a lot recently, and sad to say that I'm probably one of those 'fast learners' or 'expert apprentices'. However, it is difficult to admit that you wouldn't want to learn the same thing over and over again within every clan / pack / pride or any form of group. Once you actually learn how to use your character in spars or battles, or how to use them for healing or hunting, the information sort of remains in your head each time you roleplay, whether it be with a different character. I have troubles avoiding the action of meta-gaming when in a training session. I do have to agre that it takes the fun out of the roleplay, but it is understandable that it isn't much fun to learn the same thing again and again.

In-Game User: ex0rcist

Offline Fallenleaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »
I'm sad to say I was one of them, at first. It's only when I had bevome familiarized with RP that I sarted RPing with characters such as Voidsoul. His first training was harsh, his mentor mentally tricking him. The point of the training was to stand against his fears, by closing his eyes and imagining the situation. He made it far, until he pictured his friends dying and coming back to 'life' as zombies. The vision crushed him down, since then he never really liked death, was even distant from his friends.

Soulshatter, though, was a character of mine that I'm quite proud of. He had amnesia, forgot much things, some say that he used to be a kittypet, as he'd no hunting skills. He never met the mentor he was assigned to (Ah, inactivity). Not knowing if his mebtor would come one day, he trained by himself, often failing at first. He even refused the help of a few senior warriors. When he caught his first prey, he was overjoyed. As an adult, becoming a mentor, the deputy hepled him train his apprentice. The tom even learned a few things himself, such as how to stabilizing his weight through his body to run faster. It didn't last long, though. His lost one of his hindleg.
--
Anyway. I think it's really anti-RP to be a fast learner, or perfect from the beginning. It ruins all the fun.

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:53:56 pm »
Anyway. I think it's really anti-RP to be a fast learner, or perfect from the beginning. It ruins all the fun.
Well, this pretty sums up what I would say about the whole thing. Out-of-character wise, I would get why people take to being a "perfect" apprentice because of them being so familiar with it. There is being a good apprentice and being too good. It's alright to be a fast-learner in some things while in-character, as long as it's balanced out in a believable way in the environment your're playing in.

Also, if you are getting bored by tedious training, why not mix tactics up a bit? Instead of sticking to the old training, why not simply try out something new, that is if the mentor gets approved by their leader and such. Both a mentor and apprentice can do this, work together to plan a nice, creative way to train. That way, it wouldn't seem so mundane if you have done so over and over just with different characters.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline OreoHeroz

• Taco-Hat
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:06:05 pm »
I've seen this happen multiples of times, and I'm just like, "What the heck? Why does every apprentice know everything?" Not normally, everything, but most things. When I RP as an apprentice, I often put my character missing the prey, accidentally hurting him or herself, etc. I don't really like making my characters look all "know-it-all" or anything. Not to boast, just saying. >.<

It can get a little annoying or annoying when people make their characters as apprentices like, "Slowly stalking the mouse, the apprentice never touched a leaf nor a twig - he was in a perfect position. When the mouse paused for a moment, he launched himself at the prey, clamping his paws around it and killing it intensity. He was sure he would be the best hunter, no matter what." or - I saw this happen one: "The apprentice threw herself at the warrior, her unsheathed claws scorching down the sides of the enemy, drawing out blood as she snarled. Dodging the warrior's outstretched claws, she spun around and closed her jaws around the warrior's neck, snapping it. Slumping down, the enemy fell at her paws, life's breath gone from him as dull eyes stared back. She had won the battle." I would be like, "Seriously? An apprentice can kill a warrior? Aren't warriors supposed to be a little more powerful?"

I think we need to be a little more realistic, not making apprentices or any animal/human know everything. It's pretty unfair to others, and it sort of leads to powerplaying or Mary/Marty Sues.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 12:21:28 am »
Oof, this one is so true. It's basically been summed up pretty well by the others here, the fact that having a "perfect" character really takes away from its originality.

Not to mention, the mentor and apprentice would ideally (in my eyes) form a bond that could only come from the mentor teaching his apprentice what it takes to become a warrior and defender of his clan.

This said, if a mentor stuck with his student through trials and triumphs, late nights hunting, early patrols and even in the thick of a battle over territory, imagine what sort of profound affection that apprentice would have for his mentor? His Clan would even mean so much more to him (or her, of course!), and they'd look back during the roleplay at times and think, "Wow, my mentor taught me what it takes to survive here-- it's because of them I'm a warrior now!"

But, conversely, if this "expert apprentice" was so perfect that they didn't get anything wrong, they would instead look back and say, "Wow, my mentor sat there and rambled on about training, while I was so perfect that I didn't need it!"
Definitely exaggerating that one, but in all truth, what else could they say?

No way that would be as heartfelt as a true story between mentor and appentice. I like this thread, Lady~
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 12:55:28 am »
'How did you learn that so Fast?' 'Oh, I'm just perfect that way.' Really, So, No Flaws, no Weaknesses, Nothing?  Whats the point of RolePlay when you are PERFECT?!

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 01:19:12 am »
OMG THIS THREAD NEEDED TO BE MADE SO BADLY YOU DONT EVEN KNOW

Here are 2 kits I mentored once:
     Kit 1: They caught evrything. Best fighter. Stunning swimmer. PREFECT.
     Kit 2: Lazy, only really got up to rebel and play pranks on his mentor (Me)
But yes Kit 2 was my favorite? How strange.

I personally like kits witha wide variety of personality. Like the wanna-be warrior whose is a failure. The scardy cat. The ex kittypet who can hardly do anything. The list goes on.....

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??