Author Topic: Expert Apprentices and Fast Learners?  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
Re: Expert Apprentices and Fast Learners?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 06:53:45 am »
To me, it seems like either one of two things:

1) What others have already mentioned; these players are used to this and just want to get it over with, even though their characters are supposed to be learning all of this for the first time.

2) They are inexperienced rpers who are trying to make their character appear especially badass, when really all they're doing is (probably unintentionally) making their characters out to be Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline JackJackleHound

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • NOW KNOWN AS NIDHOGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 08:08:39 am »
An apprentice striking out to be the warrior protege, not only that, but have you ever witnessed a Perfect Apprentice healer?
[ The young Ap-Medic shoved -A list of herbs- in the wounded warriors mouth, causing the pain, and blood to stop pulsing from the she-cats body] Really?
 Some people don't understand the fundamental importance of  experience evaluation. when you really look at it, allowing your character to experience flaws and failure actually helps in molding of the character's chrisma. It's sad to think that people don't allow that to happen.

Sig and Avvie by Me
User: JackJackleHound
DA:TheWickedNeverRest

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 03:44:59 pm »
An apprentice striking out to be the warrior protege, not only that, but have you ever witnessed a Perfect Apprentice healer?
[ The young Ap-Medic shoved -A list of herbs- in the wounded warriors mouth, causing the pain, and blood to stop pulsing from the she-cats body] Really?
 Some people don't understand the fundamental importance of  experience evaluation. when you really look at it, allowing your character to experience flaws and failure actually helps in molding of the character's chrisma. It's sad to think that people don't allow that to happen.

Exactly, Because you learn more by mistakes, then victories.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 11:26:25 am »
Ah, this type of topic.
This topic is seriously needed, though more IG then just for conversation. XD

But, back in the day, I was in a WC RP and was that perfect little appy.
No one cared, but now I join as a kit and do those boring kit things.
Then I do that awesome training stuff.
I know one of my charries never even GOT to being a warrior because they had to fight in a battle, and her inexperience ended up getting her killed.

The 'all knowing' meddie apps and the 'all mighty' warrior apps just kinda ruin an RP.

Being a mentor is one of my favorite things about a WC RP, but some apps just ruin that.
I once almost left an RP because either:
(A)
They would know everything
(B)
Leave 5 minutes into training because I frowned on their all-knowingness.

I mean, really?
Anyways... -Poof-
Trans, gay, and ready to play

Offline femalecreature

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • it is i the official eggplant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 11:34:52 pm »
True, true...

I remember one time, I roleplayed as my apprentice named Dawnpaw. There were two or three other apprentices; I forgot their names, so we'll go by App1, App2, and App3 (or perhaps subtract one or two, give or take.)
App1: The young she-cat leaped on the thrush, instantly killing it. She picked it up and snorted at Dawnpaw.
App2: (App2)paw's paws caught a mouse just as it ran away.
Me (Dawnpaw): A bounding leap brought Dawnpaw close to a small, scrawny mouse; it darted away between her paws, skittering across the Autumn leaves. "Mouse dung," she hissed, her claws scraping against the ground in frustration. ((Guys, really... we've just become apprentices, we don't know how to hunt, fight, or anything.))
App1 & 2: No, we're just smarter than you.))
App1: She snorted at Dawnpaw and whispered, "She's real dumb, she couldn't catch that mouse" to (App2)paw.
Me (Dawnpaw): Overhearing, she snapped around. "I'm not dumb," she retorted hotly. "I'm just beginning, and so are you. You just got lucky!"
App2: "No, we're smarter than you" his sneered at the stupid she-cat (were not lucky, were experts)
App1: Yeah, we're good at this. Dawnpaw's mentally ill!))
And so, they ran off and "gossiped to the Clan" about how Dawnpaw was "mentally ill" and "unable to catch the scrawniest mouse."

Of course, the leader saw their "gossip," seeing as they, too, were in the group, and were nearby and saw their Local chat. They were kicked for being unrealistic and harsh to another Clanmate.
True story. Although they'd been kicked, they complained to me via whisper that it was my fault they'd been kicked from the Clan, and proceeded to harass/threaten me about it, calling me "unrealistic" and "illiterate," seeing as I'd not been the absolute best at hunting or fighting.

I only said:
"You can't be serious, guys... apprentices can't do that on the first day. Maybe a decent mouse on like, the fortieth definitely not their first day as an apprentice."

To which... they said... they reported me.

LOLWUT? x'D
(They probably didn't, as my guess was they didn't know how to.)
Yay for LOOONG rant story!

P.S.
Don't go saying, "You should've reported them" and all that jazz. I tried. Really, I did, but seeing as it was a Clan with 50+ members all typing in Group/Local at the same time, I couldn't catch the whispers, no matter how much I tried to scroll up - it was always spammed. I tried turning it off, but at the time, other people were whispering me, too, so it was basically impossible.
e3e
egg me up inside (can't egg up)

Offline Akita Silver

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: -7
  • You find us chasing the sun :3
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt! :3
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 11:42:57 pm »
It doesn't seem right, I mean apprentices are supposed to not get things right the first time, and it's ok :P  It's almost completely unfair and not fun when someone gets everything right the first time, and then they go off and then turn into like an evil cat then like auto kills xD it's stupid and I like the apprentices that fail a lot then get better at a steady pace :P Nothing against fast learners. But automatically learning the move and being perfect is like... unfair? :c

You find us chasing the skys,the space,the moon, the stars, the sun, in just one new york minute.

Sir Equius

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »

Don't go saying, "You should've reported them" and all that jazz. I tried. Really, I did, but seeing as it was a Clan with 50+ members all typing in Group/Local at the same time, I couldn't catch the whispers, no matter how much I tried to scroll up - it was always spammed. I tried turning it off, but at the time, other people were whispering me, too, so it was basically impossible.
e3e
D--> Well they did deserve to be kicked from the group. So they got what they diserved and pretty much made you the scapegoat for their errors. I'm sure no one really likes roleplaying with those Mary Sues anyways.

Offline ~|Cookie|~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 09:53:58 pm »
I am still pretty new to this game and such. But when I RP on one of my WC RPs I have noticed.a few of the other apprentices getting EVERYTHING right the first time. It's quite annoying.

But anyways it really ruins the fun of the RP.

Amazing siggy by Rita! Thank you floof!
The amazing Derp!
Find me in game as ~|Cookie|~!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:28 pm »
I am still pretty new to this game and such. But when I RP on one of my WC RPs I have noticed.a few of the other apprentices getting EVERYTHING right the first time. It's quite annoying.

But anyways it really ruins the fun of the RP.

ikr?  it can be, OH SO annoying! and then you have to watch them do it *Paw Face* Ergh, I don't see how the mentors HANDLE it!

Can't get my head around it, can you?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:02:20 pm by Brenda Lee »

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline ~|Cookie|~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 01:12:45 am »
I don't know how they can handle it either. *Face desk* I mean, come on people! We have to atleast learn SOME things.

Amazing siggy by Rita! Thank you floof!
The amazing Derp!
Find me in game as ~|Cookie|~!