Author Topic: Character Copying  (Read 1928 times)

Offline DangusMangus

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Most active on my dA
    • CatCoveredInChalk
    • View Profile
Character Copying
« on: October 05, 2013, 08:23:50 pm »
Hi peeps, I'm back for short time... lol~

There's this topic I wanted to ask/discuss about.

CHARACTER COPYING

Does someone ever had copyied your character? Today, few minutes before - someone copyied my character.

I was on mah hyena, then I turned on F3 cam, while I was flying around, I noticed character that looked just like mines, same name, details 'n' such. Whispering to her she deleted the char (as I think). Later, I went on my lycan charrie and met rp buddy - Yuki. Same person, with same username copyied her character. Demanding her to change her name and don't ever do that again, possibility it worked isn't 100%.

So, should I report her now or what?

~Phroghress
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:39:26 pm by Phroghress »
In-game - Orchee
deviantART - CatCoveredInChalk

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Character Copying
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 08:33:10 pm »
As I've told some users before, the markings in this game are public and free for all so as upsetting as it might be to some there isn't much that can be done if someone decides to copy your character look. The real problem comes if the user has copied both your character look and name and is running around slandering or is pretending to be you and starts trouble with others or breaks rules etc while posing as you. In that case you should send a report to a staff member like myself through private message. We'll review the screenshots and judge what action if any is necessary.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that you shouldn't confront a user if you think they are copying you, that will just cause more trouble and arguments. Leave that to us staff.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:36:34 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline angelre0702

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • Been here a while.
    • killingcve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:47 pm »
Yeuuugh.
I've had enough of copying, to say the least.
But, as Sura said, there are only a few original markings and people tend to use a match quite often, such as:

Toeless socks + Ear Rims + Center/Top/Bottom Tail Stripe
It goes together quite perfectly, nu?

Now, here comes the names. Common names such as Sarah, Jake, and Bella are used quite often.

However,
if someone is using your exact look, same name, and posing to be you, you should immediately screenshot the matter and report it to a staff member such as Sura.

But..
If it happened just to be a coincidence you should accept that.

Let's put it this way:
You happened to make a beautiful albino lioness with ear rims and black undereye. Then when you go to Atlantis, there is a character that looks just like yours. They come to you and say: "OMG U COPYED MI CHAR! CHANGE HER NOW OR I RPORT U NOOBE!!!!!!". So, they think you should go modify your character just because your character looks a bit like them. Will you go and change him/her happily? Nupe. That's exactly how they feel, putting it in a harsh way. Excuse my harshness, please. xD

-
If someone copies my character I'm actually flattered. x'D That means they liked my character and decided to make their own. c:

Offline JackJackleHound

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • NOW KNOWN AS NIDHOGEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:53:16 pm »
I've experience this character copying once before with one of my favorite characters, Wicked. I was engaged in a Rival pack Rp, a fight broke out and the wolf I was fighting against took our dispute  more personally, honestly looking back I think he completely over reacted. Anyway, to avenge himself, he immaturely copied my character and began to saunter about the plains acting like a complete nub-skull, though his actions weren't bad enough to be report worthy. Aggravated,  I asked him to please cease his juvenile behavior and when he didn't listen I simply blocked him and walked away.
It is kind of a low thing to do, especially with out  permission [Though I doubt any would be given,unless the person copying the character was someone that person trusted], to take and copy someones character and act out negatively, I mean can't it be handled in a more civil and respectable manner?
I like when people ask if they can base a character off of one of mine and/or branch off their behavioral make-up. I know how hard it is to form a solid character at times and I'm happy to help with the base/the first steps. I've done it a few times as well, I see a person's character that I admire and ask If I may make a character slightly based on how they structured theirs, I never go as far as actually copying it, just using the minor concepts/idea of the character charisma.

Sig and Avvie by Me
User: JackJackleHound
DA:TheWickedNeverRest

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:17:49 am »
I have this happen to me on occasion at really random times. Once I was playing as my charrie, Sagitta and I was sitting at the Stone Bridge in Fluorite. After a bit, I noticed this one wolf charrie behind me kept logging on and off, each time they'd come back on resembling Sagitta a bit more. It wasn't like they just appeared as my charrie, they kept logging on and off in front of me, changing their markings and patterns every few minutes just to make sure I didn't notice. :I

Another time (This was a while ago) I was in AI with my old charrie, Xylina, and again, some person kept logging off and on, each time a bit more similar in appearance each time. A few others noticed this, but after they said something they asked, "Are you copying AlphaEclipse's character?" She only said sorry, and then 'e' dashed out of the map.

I just don't like the fact they come near me, copy my charrie, and then pretend like they didn't do a thing. With the case of Xylina, the 'copier' literally, sat next to me and would follow me, no matter where I moved. Ugh, it's just a shame people copy peoples' charries after they probably spent some time trying to think of the coloration(s) and pattern(s).

I have had this happen more times than just these two, but I only decided to list these.

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:38:22 pm »
I don't mind if people copy my character, I feel like I did a good job making my character if people want to make their own.  What I don't like is when they come to me and say I stole their character.  I also don't like them they are contently logging of and on to copy me because it is just annoying and it draws attention to them and people are like, 'Are you trying to copy RustBucket's character?' and I really don't really know what to say to that.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »
The real problem comes if the user has copied both your character look and name and is running around slandering or is pretending to be you and starts trouble with others or breaks rules etc while posing as you.
This the situation that I have lingering my mind whenever someone has 'copied' another person's character or idea. How is it being used, what people think about it, and the respect for the creator is what it is narrowed down to.

Since we do not belong to a solid, copyrighted entity, anything posted here is pretty much fair game for people who may lurk the forum. They could be the type to ask permission first and use your characters, if approved. Or, they could take an idea or art that was yours and claim it as theirs. This usually happens more with lesser known people than others because their style and character may not be as popular.

It's not a good feeling to have anything copied from you. However, in my personal opinion, if any of my own characters are held with dignity and respect behind them, I would not mind them being used. It makes you feel like you have given something to someone else to play with and have an adoration for. Not all people don't take a character to be mean, but simply because of all the characters, they liked yours, and wanted to be them. To these people, it's alright to recognize the character, but also be aware of the creator.

Granted, not all people who create their characters keep them for very long. It would be just as nice to have someone else play the character you made, thus your character shall never truly die within the community. By the word, "die," I don't mean as no longer living, but in terms of never being maintained again or having no memory of the character at all.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline DangusMangus

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Most active on my dA
    • CatCoveredInChalk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
No, you got me wrong...

I agree with Sura' about these usernames 'n' such...

But, I mean by copying, name which is kinda not common, hyena looks (which don't seem like realistic one and others come up with)... I mean, It may get worse, like being angry and using caps to delete character or even change names...
In-game - Orchee
deviantART - CatCoveredInChalk