Poll

Do you consider things like learning disabilities, home language differences and age when asking for samples? :o

Yes
4 (25%)
No
4 (25%)
Sometimes
0 (0%)
I've thought about it
1 (6.3%)
Never even crossed my mind
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: As group leaders?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Squee

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
As group leaders?
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:05:38 pm »
Just as a general question I want to know how many people do this, you're not a bad person if you don't consider it, well in my mind you're not because it's also about personal preferance and I understand that totally but it will be interesting to see who really does this.

Not sure if it does belong under this section of the forum, it might not and if it doesn't please lock it, or move it, or direct me to where it actually does belong. ^.^

Signature by Velkss! :)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Re: As group leaders?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:21:11 pm »
Learning disabilities? Of course. I don't lead or participate in any groups anymore but I brought a multi-species group over from Impressive Title back when Feral Heart first began and one of the members we had for a very long time had dyslexia. She couldn't spell very well but we didn't care. She was awesome at RPing. Likewise, I ran into someone else more recently who has dyslexia and he's very good himself.

My niece has a speech problem, my oldest nephew is developmentally delayed and has ADHD on top of that along with some other slight issues, and my youngest nephew may also have ADHD. So yes, I'm always willing to keep my mind open to people who have a little trouble writing or spelling. I just need to be told. ^_^

Offline Squee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:26:54 pm »
I just need to be told. ^_^

I can relate to this. xD I mean I also keep an open mind to spelling anyways, always have because not everyone can be a perfect speller and we all have our 'hell' words as I like to call them. [You know the ones that give us hell] But I would really just LOVE to be told if someone spoke polish and wanted to join or if they had sever dyslexia and can't spell properly so at least I could relate and not get frustrated.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »
In my group, we don't ask for RP samples usually, unless we've got two people who want the same position, then we'll ask for a sample from each of them and decide who we think is best suited to that role.
But yes, I do consider peoples' age and mother tongue when looking at roleplay posts. Learning disabilities though aren't the first things to cross my mind; I appreciate that they'll have an impact on how a person writes, it's just not the first thing I think of if there a few obvious spelling mistakes. I don't really know many people with dyslexia, ADHD or other disabilities, so I'd put my not noticing them down to unfamiliarity with them.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:20:32 pm »
These things seem to be personal things that shouldn't be asked when choosing a member for your group.  If the person's character and their ability to roleplay fits your group then who are you to keep them out just because English isn't their first language or if they have a disability.  I have a disability and there is nothing wrong with my roleplaying skills.  However this is my own thoughts on this and everyone got their own say in this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:22:21 pm by Rustys »
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:37:31 am »
I don't ask for sample really :P So no, never crossed meh mindeh :O!

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Squee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:00 pm »
These things seem to be personal things that shouldn't be asked when choosing a member for your group.  If the person's character and their ability to roleplay fits your group then who are you to keep them out just because English isn't their first language or if they have a disability.  I have a disability and there is nothing wrong with my roleplaying skills.  However this is my own thoughts on this and everyone got their own say in this.

I know they are personal but in my own opinion I'd much rather ask them if they have a learning disability or are not originally english, this way I can validly stick up for them if other members give them hell for spelling something wrong. If they don't want to answer they don't have to but at the end of the day 99% of people who are not english/have a learning disability are accepted into my groups if I can see they try. I'm finicky about RPing because I just hate it when I post a long descriptive post and only get 'Wags tail' back, that's why I ask but usually anyone semi-literate and up are accepted regardless.