Author Topic: Poorly thought out username.  (Read 2263 times)

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Poorly thought out username.
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:07:43 am »
A friend of mine managed to find registration open, now naturally she was rushing to get in before it closed on her so I doubt she was thinking clearly, however she has told me that the username she chose is her real life first and last name. Now I personally am a little worried by this and  would like to hear what other people think of this one. Should I just stop worrying or should I force her to wait until she can register a new account under a anonymous name?

Offline Lunatia

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Meow
    • View Profile
Re: Poorly thought out username.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:27:44 am »
Tell her that there's a pretty big security risk with that, and ask if she'll consider changing it.

Offline ace13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • Squash ball racquets PROHIBITED!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:27 pm »
Well, personally it should be a worry, I think that if you tell her the risks might feel the need to change it, but I don't think there's too much for her to worry about on here, but she should still make a new account and delete the previous one, just to be on the safe side.

Offline ||Deadmau5||

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:45:03 pm »
It is fairly dangerous to use your first and last name when making an account on FeralHeart. I suggest asking her to delete her account and wait again for the registration to be open. If she doesn't want to wait so long or is willing to take the risk because of the long wait, I would suggest telling her that if you see the registration open that you would contact her. Good luck on this. <3

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:32:59 pm »
It's a matter of opinion, in a way.

Generally, when it comes to anything online, using your first and last name (especially if you are young) is not always the wisest thing, unless you trust that your information is secured on a trusted site.

While FeralHeart and its staff will not be a problem, there's nothing to say there aren't others who play the game who might try to search for your friend elsewhere online by means of seeing their name.

Others have made their real-life names their usernames, and while they have been alright, I still recommend going by a different name, just for the sake of security. If she wants someone she meets online to know her name, then she can do so as she pleases-- but it's not the best to run around on the internet showing off your name, usually.

I recommend making a new account.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:38:09 pm »
My Shown User(No its not my actual one :3) is not my name, just something that sounds nice.
But yes, never use your real name.  Ever.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:25:38 am »
I'm glad to hear my worry was not misplaced, though at the same time I am more worried now. I won't be able to contact her for a bit but as soon as I can I'm going to try to convince her she has made a stupid mistake. I'll probably have her look at this thread to help bring her around to the way if thinking it contains. Thanks to everyone who has responded, and any who may yet.

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 09:14:56 am »
I think having a real name as a user is not the best idea in the world. While on the site the username can be shielded and the display name changed... in-game your real name will be there for all to see. I advise taking these precautions to minimise the problems that might (not will) occur.

There are always those people out there who are there to hurt... Don't get me wrong there are amazing people on FH who will never even think about doing something with someone's real name - but there is always those in the minority.