Author Topic: Sexuality in names  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Re: Sexuality in names
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 02:57:43 pm »
I've only seen a couple of characters with the word "gay" or "bi" in their character name. I thought it was strange but really didn't think much of it since I was busy roleplaying with friends. Like others have said before me, the people who do this are probably trying to seek attentiion and more than likely get a reaction out of the players around them.

I don't really have a problem with a character's sexual orientation. I think the sexual orientation of the character would be more appropriate in the character's bio. Or let other players find out through roleplay; one way or another.

Also, this inappropriacy COULD encourage the younger ones to be gay or lesbo. Its very worrying so I would recommend to just block them IF you don't like it.

I highly doubt that. You make it sound like being bi, gay, or lesbian is a bad thing. Just because a few characters run around with "gay" "lesbian" in their name, it won't necesarilly encourage young players to be gay or bisexual.
Inactive

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 03:09:56 pm »
In my point of view, it doesn't really aggravate me as much as it does with other floofs. However, it does aggravate me when people tag their characters as 'Gay', 'Homo', 'Bi' or 'Lesbian' and do it to insult those who are as said previously. They think its funny to offend those with a different brand of sexuality but if something similar happened to them in return, they see its really disrespectful and hurtful to be offended in such a way. It's genuinely unnecessary.

Insulting and offending others is definitely a result of attention seeking, whether its if they crave attention for abusive popularity, or craving attention because the same thing happened to them in reality. Now, I'm not the kind of person to Judge another person by a show of lousy behaviour because there could be some sort of novel behind it, but when someone goes overboard it does tend to affect the ones who are being offended and the others closest to them. The main story behind it all is that they're breaking someone elses' feelings because they've broken too.

I'm not trying to be negative on the whole situation but the point I'm trying to get through is that it's completely unnecessary to have a sexuality tagged in a character name when you know its bound to offend someone.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 03:41:35 pm »
Personally I've got nothing against lesbians, bisexuals, transsexuals, or gays. In fact I love them but when it comes to them putting their sexuality in their usernames here on FH I get concerned. Reality is that many people in the world are not very accepting of these people yet as sad and silly as that sounds. I worry that these users are only setting themself up for potential bashing on this game. I can see a few reasons why they'd still want to put their sexuality in their name aside from finding rp mates though. Perhaps they do it to represent for the LGBT community out there as a show of pride, perhaps they also do it to find more LGBTs out there to unite with and find commonality and understanding with.

There are those however that may just be up to mischief though and only seek out attention. Some people like drama and fighting so this is a good way to look for it. I don't think it's necessary to put your sexuality in your character name really. Whether you're a LGBT or Heterosexual who puts M or F why show out your sexuality? What exactly are you after. The rules in the game state that sexual behavior will not be tolerated. As Red said above usually users with these types of names wave red flags and often are the ones getting busted with explicit rping in the public chats or buttswinging on each etc.

If a person is truly concerned with letting other users know the sex or sexuality of their character there's a bio to do that. You can also modify the name to tell character gender in a more subtle way like using a title like Lady, Lord, Prince, Princess, King, Queen, Duke etc. Telling the sex of your character doesn't seem as bad to me as stating its sexuality. Stating its sexuality seems a bit suspicious to me although having the gender M/F in the name is basically doing the same thing.

While we shouldn't judge I think users who use these kind of names should be cautious of what reasons they use these names for and whether it's really necessary given the nature of the purpose.

Also, this inappropriacy COULD encourage the younger ones to be gay or lesbo. Its very worrying so I would recommend to just block them IF you don't like it.

Also so what if it influences them? What's it our business? An individual's sexuality is their business not ours. What's more concerning is the general topic of sexuality on a game with mostly children not the types of sexualities.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:47:12 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »
I, try not to be bothered about it, but I think it may also start arguements about it.

If some one comments on some ones Sexuality, and his or her words are taken as offensive they wll be hounded on and badgered fortheir opinion, like Real Life.
Some one says something about 'Gays', and is taken the wrong way ,as an ofensive(It may or may not be on purpose mind you) They will call them awful and very rude things.

I, on a whole, Don't like to talk or think about it, and my Mother agrees.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Sayba

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 12:49:03 am »
I reckon it's no worse then having gender tags. Saying your character is female could be sending out a message like "I'm female, come have pups with me!". Depends on the way you look at it, some of them could be trolling, some of them might genuinely want to RP as a lesbian or gay animal.

Things like this happen with a lot of other things, people make hyenas to sit around lions, make foxes to sit around warrior cats and now people make gay characters to stand out. It's nothing new really.

Offline Fellthefox

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Fell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 03:07:31 am »
Lol I identify in game as 'the gay fox', and alot of people will even bring it up to me when Im sitting around. Im known for it. But I dont put it in my name. I think thats really lame. I even get on people for it when I see them walk by. Its like...why? And it seems to be a pick up over the last few months.
Just keep it in your bio, thats what I do. Just feels natural.
Also...gender identification is really off. "Samantha F wolf" who is clearly female looking doesnt need an F in their name.
<3

Offline cloudfire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 03:12:54 am »
I believe that the people can do whatever they please as long as it's not offensive or sexual. Maybe for once they just want to be another sexuality, other than most roleplayers that are straight.

? Signature by Pokrovka ?

Offline Fellthefox

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Fell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 03:19:06 am »
Good point. Now let me tell you my opinion. I think its unecessary for people to include sexual information in their names because it just seems more public. Also, this inappropriacy COULD encourage the younger ones to be gay or lesbo. Its very worrying so I would recommend to just block them IF you don't like it. However, I do agree that most of these people are just looking for attention. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE ATTENTION for floofs sake. Either ignore them or tell a member of staff if you're too uncomfortable.

This is EpicWolfie, peace out!

This though (didnt see it before) I do see as a bit offensive. You make it sound like being gay is bad...Im very happy to identify as gay in game, but no I do not put it in my name.
<3

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 04:48:02 am »
As stated before, placing your sexuality in your name, same for gender, belongs in your bio. It also plays into being offensive and in a sense, gives a way of labeling your character or your own self.   

If a person is truly concerned with letting other users know the sex or sexuality of their character there's a bio to do that. You can also modify the name to tell character gender in a more subtle way like using a title like Lady, Lord, Prince, Princess, King, Queen, Duke etc. Telling the sex of your character doesn't seem as bad to me as stating its sexuality. Stating its sexuality seems a bit suspicious to me although having the gender M/F in the name is basically doing the same thing.
I reckon it's no worse then having gender tags. Saying your character is female could be sending out a message like "I'm female, come have pups with me!". Depends on the way you look at it, some of them could be trolling, some of them might genuinely want to RP as a lesbian or gay animal.

These points pretty much some up what I as going to say further. Also, leads me to ask why should sexuality identity matter with the platform and the audience? Even though, we do have a variety of ages that play the game, role-play, chat, and so forth, why would the generalization of sexual attraction be a subject? Romantic attraction, however would be more understandable and appropriate contrast to sexual attraction. No matter what the orientation.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 06:56:56 am »
I do not see how stating if you're a male or female with an M or F is quite the same as having your sexuality in your very character name. Your sex or the characters sex and what they actually look for in a romantic/intimate relationship is not something that goes on an even level at all. So if it was only a matter of you feeling the same way about seeing those tags to you I really do buy it, but if we'd be speaking of the general picture it would be far from the same.

To plainly put out the point here, in many situations it's good to write down, tell people which sex you are and instead of rambling up a big list of things I'm sure anyone can just think of situations them themselves have needed to mark down or tell their sex in forms or information fields. Now flip this around and look over how many times you must write out your sexuality to get around, there's not many situations you do unless it might be certain surveys that has anything to do with relationship or needing to point out your actual sexuality.

It shouldn't matter much if you are a proud gay man or woman, as far as it goes on FeralHeart it quite doesn't fit in like it could, and I will really quote what Sura said earlier in their post "What are they after exactly?", there's no great benefits for doing this unless you must hang out with other gay people, and then again, why must other people hang out with other gay people and no one else? It's a bit like a reversed effect on homophobia going the other way around. I'm just saying this to put a point across though, and as mentioned in my first post, I think in a place like bonfire or even the whole game it's a bit more simplistic look of what it means to be a homosexual.

Not to mention that we've all seen our fair deal of people especially Wolves mixing up genders and I cannot recall how many times people have said to another "I'm a male!" or "I'm a female!". On a feline like a lion you can usually tell by males having a bigger or longer mane than "most" females, but also in general(not all) males have slightly bigger chins or muzzles as well. Personally I'd not use M and F tags either for any character but I can see some good usage for it in a game like FeralHeart, and I do not see it as seeking for attention just because you are a female or a male. People just don't mind what sex you are, however some people really might look a second time if you for example are going around with a shirt saying "I'm gay".

It's not like it can be stopped, or that a campaign should be put to stop this either(lol). But I really do believe it's unnecessary and it's really all about yourself if you have a tag like this, compared when a M and F tag really could assist. The bio do suffice well if you need to point out about your sexuality. However I do sense that there's actually another really big issue that could be laying around and pulling strings on this subject it self, but it would pretty much need it's own topic. If you have your sexuality in your name you want a straight and basic approach for something, and the question is really approach for what, and what it is you are seeking or want to achieve with this name, and as it stands in many of the times(Not all though since there's exceptions as always) people are up to mischief with these names.
Former community manager of FeralHeart