Author Topic: Inspiration for Characters?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
Inspiration for Characters?
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:23:49 pm »
I am having a creative block, and I can't come up with a character that I like.

I mean, I CAN, but after a while I decide s/he isn't good enough, or whatever. Like, for example, a character I named Rezteiac. He is a black and purple panther cross with the ability to infect others with his disease but does his best to control it. Seems great, yes? I've had him for a month now, and I'm starting to not like him... just as it was with my old fox fursona, Taavi.

I try coming up with original ideas, but they never seem good enough. I guess I can see their fatal flaws.

Right now I am trying to create a fursona that I'd be happy with, one that I'll be known for. So, what do you guys recommend I do? How did you come up with yours? 
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline nicekind

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 39
  • art by WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: Inspiration for Characters?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »
I personally just made my main charry Kate long time ago with just editing one of my old charries. Kate is definitely not original but for somehow I like her.
I would suggest you to stop looking for that originality since you might end up with something you don't like but would be original of course. It seems for me you like demonish wolves? Why don't you make one? come up with good markings combo or make a preset?
shhh noone knows me

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:49:08 pm »
Yes, yes. How did you notice? xD

You've made a good point, nothing is original anymore.

However, I cannot find someone who is willing to make a preset, that doesn't cost dA points. Making one won't work, since I'm not talented enough, anyhow.

How do you know when you've finished your character, when you stop adding on and just leave it be? This is one major issue I've run into..
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline longjump

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
    • FhNature
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »
Finish a character? As long as I'm rping a character or using it, it's developing! I stop when they die, or if their life continues and I have chances to rp them after they die, then that's great.

'Glory drakes are radiant, friendly creatures, that sparkle in the sunlight'

Offline nicekind

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 39
  • art by WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:17:09 pm »
Wow hmm how did I know? XD
What you mean not talented? Have you tried making presets? I had never made presets before but when I once tried then I was happy with the result... actually here is the result: http://nicekind.deviantart.com/art/First-FeralHeart-Preset-411739917?q=gallery%3Anicekind&qo=1

I am not quite sure I just didn't like my old charrie anymore what wasn't my main thing anyways I just randomly edited it a bit changed some colors and maybe 1 marking and items. Just somehow I started using it and boom mah main charrie.

shhh noone knows me

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:28:11 pm »
Yes, I have tried with little to no results.

Actually, I lack completely in the Artist's department.

I know a lot of people have the demonic characters and such, but how do you pull it off without it being cheesy? I've tried before and it was SUPER cheesy.. 
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline Eviny

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:30:52 pm »
I would say you should maybe try something different? You may not necessarily have to make it completely original, but you can always make old, cliche ideas original with some tweaking. I don't suggest you to make a demonish character myself, as it seems quite overusd to me. However, you can indeed make an original looking character and then give them some of those features. Make them different. If they are a demon they maybe shouldn't be the stereotypical. You can for example make them so that they can use air to their advantage with their blending skills in the dark if they must have a dark fur, they can live longer than normal wolves (for example, twenty years or more, but not too much) or they won't have any special powers. They may be intimidating for natural causes and make a species of their own that way.
 One thing is to not force your character into anything, let them choose. That way they have room to improve and grow as a character. Who knows, maybe the reason you stopped liking your older characters is not the feel of unoriginality or the block, but rather if they did not get enough room to grow as a character? Don't force them into staying the same if that is the case, give them the possibility to decide for themselves and be different. A character doesn't always need to have something overly special about them. Just like with humans, what makes us so different is what is on the inside. The skills are just things that sometimes make these things stand out more, but they do not make a person on their own at all. Perfecton is not the answer either. What is perfection within is the good balance between the good and bad.

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:22:42 am »
-Slow Clap- That was amazing.

Thank you, all of you. Insanity, I guess you're right. Let them choose.

It may have been my problem all along, trying to make them something they're not.

Floof fer all of yew
\
Take me, I am not afraid

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 06:10:36 am »
I have inspiration for a lot of things x3 Characters from other games, Songs, Books, Movies and some other stuff. I'm sure you'll get inspired by one of these things :3

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline xxRedfangxx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 06:17:35 am »
Wow i love your sig the wolf with the red eyes.

Free Hugs!