Author Topic: Patterns Within Characters  (Read 3109 times)

SoulRevenge

Patterns Within Characters
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
I've noticed that over the course of time that I have been present here, I hold a sort of pattern which relates to how my characters look- they all have certain 'trademark' colourings or textures or something of the sort I keep despite the possibility of inaccuracy within my goal of what they'll look like. For example, everyone has completely black noses, and the colour contrast always sticks to a certain already-planned out 'colour scheme' of some sort. Not to mention as I don't commonly roleplay canines of any kind, they all keep a female model- whether they're actually a dragon or human or whatever else may show up. That and above the eyes is always darker, while below is lighter than the main pelt.

So, does anyone else stick to some sort of 'pattern' when developing characters and their appearance within the game? Naturally this would be when you use only the standard markings (though of course some may be downloaded)and not when making presets- but even when making presets, actually, do you follow a pattern? Some sort of form of a 'creative style'? Or do you simply go with whatever you think looks best/most realistic/whatever, without following such a pattern.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: Patterns Within Characters
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:39:22 pm »
I like how you brought up this topic c: Here are some of my own characteristics I add to my characters:

x Darker/Tinted color above the eyes
x Lighter below the eyes
x For Felines Chin and Muzzle are the smallest size
x For Canines Muzzle is the smallest size and cheek is largest size
x For both models the eyes are the largest size
x Markings are either a lighter or darker shade of the fur color
x I like the color scheme to blend
x Tail tip is either white, or a slightly darker shade of the fur
x I never stray away from the realistic side
x I use whole eyes/whole slit
x Mainly canine characters
x I use the black/white colors for my felines
x I like basing my character's appearance off of books/TV shows/Movies/Other media
x The underfur is always lighter
x I like naming my characters with words like "Courage" in Latin, or other languages
x The ears are never larger than default
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:28:42 am by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline Ramine

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
    • View Profile
    • Ramine on DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »
I usually stick to the realistic look. I only have two unrealistic characters.
I've noticed some things that are almost always the same:

- The markings are darker than the pelt.
- The underfur is never darker than the pelt.
- The color is darker under the eyes.
- If I add manes to my characters, I always use the side mane.
- I usually don't use canine characters. (I currently only have one)

Signature by Delay. <3

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:51 pm »
Ohmy.. This is a good question. The thing with my characters, is that I always like to push my own boundaries with characters. It's like personal/creative innovation, in a way, and it's usually how I end up making my most beloved characters. But, I suppose there are a few parameters that tend to be the same among most of my chars.

- Regardless of the model, my muzzles tend to be on the smaller half of the scale, but generally not the smallest (with the exception of warrior cats, which are the smallest to make the face more anatomically accurate).
- Above/Below eyes are either 1.) Darker above, lighter below, or 2.) Both are a lighter shade than the pelt.
- The eyes are always quite large, and animated (always the case for canines, less common for felines).
- Canine ears tend to be quite large
- I tend to stray away from entirely grayscale characters
- My characters usually have bright eyes (blue, silver, green), but I love straying away from this rule
- I like my body colors to compliment or contrast one another in a pleasing way
- For some reason, almost all of my characters have something pure white on them.. But not always!
- Lighter underfur than pelt
- Noses tend to be darker than the pelt, though it's never pitch black
- I have no characters with 0,0,0 markings/pelts/etc.
- The weight almost always resides exactly in the middle of the spectrum
- Would you believe me if I said I prefer non-winged characters?
- My characters are usually like stretched-out reality-- believable, but not entirely realistic.
- I love using manes, and I don't have too many preferences as to which ones I use

Whoa. I suppose I could think of more patterns than I'd expected. xD But almost all of these I've strayed away from once or twice.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:11:36 pm »
For a majority of the time, I attempt at making each character of mine different from the other in some trait(s), however I admit that I do most certainly follow a pattern when it comes to certain characteristics:

` I do my best at keeping every character within the realistic/semi-realistic range via appearances.
` Almost all of my characters has the symbol of Hatred scarred somewhere on their body (usually in one of their eyes or on their shoulder preset-wise).
` All of my characters' weight remains set right in the middle of the spectrum.
` Normally I stray from the whole grey-scale color scheme when deciding what colors my character should bestow.
` I shrink my characters' muzzle and cheeks mere slightly in order to give them a more fox-like appearance.
` Most of the time I use the option of Sharp Ears and either Flame, Side or Backward Mohawk when it comes to character anatomy.
` I only have canine characters.
` I always set the default expression to either Frown or Subtle Frown.
` When it comes to color scheme, I like the colors to blend and compliment each other instead of being too bold and standing out.
` None of my characters have wings.
` All of my characters have manes.
` Usually my characters' underfur/tail tip is lighter than the pelt color but sometimes it's vice-verse.
` Above/Below eyes are either the same hue as the pelt color, same hue as the underfur, or the above eye is the same color as the pelt whilst the below eye is the color of the underfur.
` All of my characters remain above the mid-point of the spectrum but none of them are at the tallest point when it comes to height.
` I usually use a mixture of dusty blonde/brown/russet/and white when it comes to hues and pigmentation of my characters.

Ehheh, I can keep going at this point so I'll stop there. An interesting thread you've made here.
gone

SoulRevenge

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 01:12:18 am »
There are some interesting patterns here~! I also follow the small-muzzle, all-have-manes, and no-wings pattern. Nonetheless, I like reading about how you guys make your characters, eheheheh~

A lot of the styles really contrast each other in one way or another- or they have some pretty close relations to each other.

Offline avomeir

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • "What a twist of events..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:52:06 am »

Where do I begin...
- I try to keep my characters as realistic as I possibly can, however I do like to add some odd unrealistic small touches here and there.
-Near all of my characters have atleast one blue eye.
- All of my characters weight remains near the end of the spectrum, I am not a fan of the deep chest that comes with the weight.
-My characters all have a very narrow and long muzzle, giving the appearance of a elongated or dished face.
- I tend to stick to normal or or pitbull ears, and I only use the Large Mohawk, Eyecover, and Side mane.
- Most of my default expressions are set on subtle frown, if not they have no default expression.
- I lower my cheeks a slight bit, just enough so they don't jut out from my face.
- I only have canine characters.
- I try not to use an access of white on my characters due to it makes them stand out.
- I never go bald; I always have a mane.
- My nose is always black or a lightly saturated pink color, so it looks realistic.
- Above/below my eyes are always black.
- I prefer to stick to shades of brown, and grey for colorings.
- The eye that isn't blue depends on what color coat I choose.
- I almost always make a preset.
- I never use too dark a color that it covers up the fur texture.
-  
Find me in game on Volaticus.~
Signature - TrinityZiel@dA -- Avatar - Attsos.
Somewhat inactive via forums due to a variety of different things.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »
None of the Markings and Pelts, none of the color-able things were the same, only small differences.  Or not so small.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Loumental

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • iPeanutbutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »
'Aye, nice discussion you have going 'ere. I usually have some kind of patterns in my designs also.

- Always have a full tuft
- Always have the same color under/overeyes as the pelt
- The colors are usually always realistic (brown, black, white, etc)
- Back or sharp ears
- Neat/small markings (such as the striped leg marks)
- Most times, they have a purrdy flame/large mowhawk mane
- Eyes are usually very bright colors shifted into darkness
- The nose is usually the same color as the pelt, possibly same as markings
- I always have characters on the thin side
- They all have wolf tails if using the canine model
- Mostly all canine models

ID by Ruffian323
Signature by StygianInk

Offline miikarenn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • yoooooo
    • View Profile
    • the tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 07:39:54 pm »
Oh this is interesting!

I definitely have some patterns that I follow:

- I have only canine characters with one exception.
- Noses are always pretty dark (usually pure black, I have a texture applied to all canines ingame so i can't really see the noses anyway)
- My characters are always pretty realistic
- Markings are always the darkest, then Pelt, then underfur.
- I like to use the Blind eyes for many characters because they just look nice in my opinion, I only have one character that can't see very well
- No wings, only manes if the target species has them in real life
- I usually make below the eyes darker, I play a lot of sickly/malnourished/tired characters and that kind of has that effect
- I like the Tailless option on canines but if they're tailless I always add Rump Tufts just for somethin' back there you know
- I like to stay away from stripes and spots except on like hyenas and stuff