Author Topic: RP Samples  (Read 15255 times)

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
Re: RP Samples
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 04:57:18 am »
Oh, when I used to roleplay frequently in-game, my RP samples were always accepted. Except, one time.....

More than a year ago, I once saw an ad for a mapped multi-species RP, and I was really interested. So, I whispered them and they invited me to a party; I needed a RP sample for them. Basic? No, not at all! I had to write 5 fricken posts to make my roleplay sample (which is very difficult for me), because they said they were a strict-literate roleplay. Like 20 minutes later, I was done and out of breath. When they finally replied after 10 minutes, they said my RP sample had a lot of spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors. On top of that, they said their roleplay wasn't for "illiterate kids like me". I was like, Honey, do you think I could perfectly write a 5-post roleplay on a laggy game like this? They thought I was lying about me lagging, and threw more insults at me. Disappointed, I left the party.

That incident made me severely dislike "strict" roleplays, and even barely roleplay on FH now. Now, as I look back at it, they were probably stuck-up thesaurus-humpers/wolfspeakers. C8

Offline Raddlegoose

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 10:27:07 pm »
One time, at least 8 weeks ago, I heard about this group named something like "Ancient Sanctuary". I whispered the owner asking him/her to join, and he asked me for an RP sample so I typed in, -Nathan ran down the hill yelling "I'll get you, ya dumb rabbit!" When suddenly, a rock appeared two feet before Nathan, and tripped him "Ouch!" Nathan yelled right before a large wolf walked by him and said, "Do you really have the audacity to come near our territory?"-

When I turned it in, they said: Sorry, your sample was rejected for the following reasons: 1. In order to stay in, you have to put in 2+ paragraphs per post
2. You misspelled "adacity"

I was like, "WTF??!"

I mean how could they expect somebody to type in 2 long paragraphs per post?
Plus, that isn't even how you spell audacity!

Echoing harmony

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »
That's the thing with me, I try avoiding those super literate groups because they like to have an ego or surperiority over everyone.
I myself am literate but not the type who goes with a crazy 200 paragraph post. Nor do I use big words in my post.
But still, people like this tick me off because they don't realize they are not better than you. Well anyway, I hope this gave you some info or whatever. Have a Lovely Day :)

Offline Saba

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Not much to say really
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 10:11:04 am »
I myself never required RP sample in order to join. I consider RP samples kind of unfair to certain group of people. Many people counting me cant be literate becouse of having different keyboard that dont allows to write some marks. In my opinion most important about RP samples if required is:
1 If you have right grammar- This is most important as people wont understand posts with bad one.
2 How does it describe situation- the more detailed, the better.
3 How long is it- If too short we cant compare if your skills are higher or lower
4 If you can use certain marks- without them RP sample wont be perfect.

And about wolfspeak? I tolerate it. Everyone has different style of Rping, if someone likes this one? Why not? I accept it. I know several people using it and I have not problem with this style.
I think it's time to go for greener pastures.

Offline geofox80191

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 07:07:25 pm »
I find Rp samples needed, for some Rp's. There are some roleplays' that will except any type of member, them being illiterate, or not. I think Rp samples are needed for some Rp's because it helps the Rp a bit more. You don't want someone joining your Rp if it's one of those fancy mapped ones, if they can't match up to your rping 'skills'. Here's an example -

Person 1 - Ravenpaw looked around at the horrible battle, being the Medicine Cat Apprentice, she had to make sure all the herbs were ready for the injured Warriors and Apprentices. (Person 1 types four more posts)

Person 2 - Smallpaw got hurt in the battle. She needed to go to the Medicine Cat den. Smallpaw padded over to the Medicine Cat den and asked for her wounds to be treated.

What's the point of making a descriptive and beautiful post if you don't get a really good response to it?
I also dislike people who reject samples because of a few errors, it has happened to me,  but I still think that SOME rp samples are needed. Everyone makes mistakes, and people who call someone illiterate because of a spelling error is just a bit rude, but if someone feel likes they need to have a person give them an Rp sample, then I guess it's needed.

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »
I've never run into groups as strict as you all are talking about, but they really sound like a pain.

In all honesty, I' a fan of rp samples. I always ask for them, however they aren't mandatory; mostly because I rarely reject someone over their roleplaying skills. The only time I reject anyone is when they use a style that doesn't match and they refuse to switch styles. I have nothing against the "-pounces on the mouse-" type roleplaying, but when everyone else is writing a good paragraph or so, it really disrupts the roleplay.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline caitsithgamer301

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 12:13:57 am »
I never make anyone do rp samples some people aren't good with grammar, punctuation or spelling and what if they are tired af but want to rp its not going to be good but rps are made for fun for everybody not to nitpick and annoy people.

Offline hcj2000

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • I am what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 08:04:17 am »
Yeah the rp samples can be difficult in my opinion. I did it once for a group and the problem with rp samples is that its hard to rp by yourself. Now I'm not saying Rp sample are bad its just at least help us out a bit
We are all perfectly imperfect don't let anyone decide who you should be just be yourself if someone calls you a mistake thats ok cause none of us are perfect