Author Topic: Rant: Warrior Names.  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Chunky_Squirrel

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 125
  • Forever Flaming
    • View Profile
Rant: Warrior Names.
« on: January 10, 2014, 06:09:43 pm »
Okay, so today I was in FH, on a WC, and I joined one.
Anyways, I heard some leader's complaine about names, such as~
WickedKill.
I mean, what queen names there kit Wickedkit?
I mean, it dosen't even make scence.

And now clearly one was named Bisonstomp.
I mean, how does a cat even know what a bison is?
What queen names there kit Bisonkit?
Dosen't even make scence either.

Then when I start to leave to the camp, they say, that There mother's lived near a Zoo.

But no clan lives near a Zoo.
I mean, a cat can't live near a Zoo if it is in the clan.
Due to this fackts~
@Too loud.
@Too many people(Two-leg)
@No prey to hunt
@No forest to hide in
@And too many cars(monster's)

So, then for a joke I sayid: "So, do cat's live in africa? xD ".

So, know I'll ask you.
How you been in such situation?
Be honest. ^O^

Profile picture by me! ^.^
IM BACK!!!

Offline Shally

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 220
    • View Profile
Re: Rant: Warrior Names.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:05:26 pm »
I can't say I've ever been in exactly your situation - mainly because honestly names doesn't bother me as long as they're not offensive or insulting in some way.

I love creativity and originality, rather then everyone having the same name.

I've never read or RP'd WC, and I can understand that sometimes there are some rules to be followed for the RP to be "right" - but the whole WC is a kind of a fairytale. So the fact that some users have a bit of different names can't be that bad? Or am I missing something here?

Indeed a cat maybe shouldn't really know or understand what a bison is, but then again names like WhitePaw, FeralKit etc. - who says that a cat knows what those words/things are?

Offline Chunky_Squirrel

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 125
  • Forever Flaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 07:23:23 pm »
I'm not saying anything about creativity.
But it comes to.
Ex.
Deathstar.
I mean, what queen names there kit, Deathkit?
It dosen't even make sence.
Or, Starstar.
I know creativity, but if your a leader it should be something like this~
Bluestar,
Dawnstar.
But not Starstar, I mean it might confuse another playier.
Heh.

Profile picture by me! ^.^
IM BACK!!!

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:11:22 pm »
Ahh, kitty names.. I can definitely relate to some of the things you mentioned here.

For example, "Wickedkill," I agree is, at first sight, fairly absurd.
Along with names like Depressionkit, Malevolentkit, Suicidekit, and any other profoundly dark names, it truly is unthinkable that a loving queen would lay such a harsh name on her helpless, blind, mewling kit who is little more than the picture of true innocence.

However, if you're really into that sort of name, I would imagine there'd be a serious story behind this name to explain how this otherwise blameless kit would have gotten such a name.

For example, maybe that kit was born to a Clan in the midst of its dark times, battle and woe (such drama much angst wow), and perhaps this queen had lost her last litter of kits, causing her to fall into a fit of mental instability? It is believable that an animal, let alone a bereaved, unstable mother could fall into such dejection that she'd assume even her newest kits would have no chance of life? She would love them and keep them, but could throw out a bitter name like "Lostkit," or even something as cruel as "Hopelesskit."

It's just an example, and might explain for some of these unusual names, if you play the story out right.

Or, perhaps it could be as simple as a kit who had a normal name, but committed some deed--intentionally or unintentionall--as an apprentice (since kits generally can't/won't do anything too heinous) that earned him a harsh name from a cruel or corrupted leader. Maybe it was like naming that cat "Betrayalpaw" as a constant reminder of what he did.

Dark, but... It could happen, again, if you play it out right.

I guess the main point I'm saying here is that if you're going to have an unusual name, I think a good backstory would be in order for it to really pack the same "punch."

As for Bisonstomp, I think that one is semi-believable.

Same with living near a zoo-- it would be odd to think a Clan would live near one, due to all of the cars and twolegs running about, but think about it.
Where there are people, there is food. Where there is food, there are going to be little varmints like mice and birds (pigeons and seagulls especially) who are ready to feast on the bounty of noms dropped by careless twolegs. Now, what's more enticing to a cat than unsuspecting mice and birds feeding, on the ground, in the open?

So, I could see a Clan finding their home, perhaps in a woodland on the backside of a zoo (if it's placed correctly, since some zoos are in the midst of forests, etc.), and coming out during slow hours to maybe snag something. Not to mention, it's likely that the zoo staff might appreciate the cats for staving off the population of pests (and by extension, other animals like local snakes that like to eat those mice) in the zoo. City warriors? That sounds kinda awesome to me. Plus, I would imagine their names might possibly reflect those surroundings.

Now, how would Bisonstomp have found his way all the way to the land of FeralHeart, and left his old Clan like so? It's hard to say. But, it is plausible if you play it right.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »
Obsidianpaw.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »
I can't relate to this to much since I am not to familiar with the whole Warrior Cat thing, but I do enjoy seeing creative names so I'm not to bothered by that really.
I mean if you want to be logical I guess it can be annoying, but really it's better then naming you a completely horrible name that has negative inflictions on it.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:08:11 pm »
I have to agree that some Warrior names can get pretty unusual and absord; Deathstare, Depressionkit, Daggerclaws, Deathwish, Morbidgenocide, etc. I think it's best to stick with names that are tied to the nature around them. Leaftail, Foxfur, Twigfrost, Raincloud, Molepaw, Rabbitleap, Snowpelt, Dapplefur, etc.

And now clearly one was named Bisonstomp.
I mean, how does a cat even know what a bison is?
What queen names there kit Bisonkit?
Dosen't even make scence either.

I don't know about you, but that name seems pretty reasonable to me. Let me ask you this... I've seen names in the book like Leopardstar, Lionblaze, Tigerheart, and so on. These cats were named after big wild cats that they know as their ancestors. But how does a cat even know what a lion, tiger, or leopard is? They wouldn't really know, but it's just part of the Warrior stories. A majority of the cats in the books are named after animals a common cat wouldn't really know about.
If the Warrior stories took place in the Americas, I'm pretty sure they would have names based on some of the wildlife of America. For example, Coyotepaw, Raccoonstar, Skunkstripe, Porcupineclaw, Possumwhisker, Bobcatpaw, Robinfeather, Bearclaw, and possibly Bisonstomp.

As for the clan living near a zoo, I think they are trying to be a little more creative with their roleplay setting. What's wrong with a little creativity. I think it's fine since it's not too unusual and could actually happen. The clan cats could sneak around and eat the food left behind by the zoo visitors. Come to think of it, I've seen plenty of wild cats roaming around crowded places because they are looking for something to eat. I've seen them scurying around zoos, parks, outside of bars (drinking bars), outside restaraunts, and so on. They aren't there for the people, they want what the people don't eat.
Inactive

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:52 pm »
Oh jeez, warrior names.
You all might recall that, while I do RP WC a lot, I hate them a bit as well.
And I mean
HATE.

Mainly because of this BS right here.
Some names I've seen:

Starstar
Satyrhoof
Horsemane
Obsidianheart
Bloodyclaw
Hopelessfight
Severedheart
Brokensoul
Soultear
Souleater
Dragontalon
Rubyeye
Crimsonblood
AND....
Killerheart.

First off, things like Satyr____ and Dragon___ are out of the question.
WC don't know what a dragon IS (minus in my old WC RP where dragons meant half their life. XD)

Now, next off is this 'Ruby', 'Crimson', and other crazy colors like that are NOT names.
First off, Rubies and such are jewels, something which any WC doesn't know unless they were a KP named Ruby or something.
As with Crimson, why?
Just....
Why?

Now to the Killer, Bloody, and Soul area of this.

People seem to forget that the first part of a warrior's name they are born with.
Very rarely does that first part change.
In the books, it happened ONCE, to Brightheart because Bluestar was loosing her mind a bit and was angry with StarClan.
So that doesn't happen often.

I could understand something like Broken____ because
A) It was a leader in the books name, and
B) Maybe your ear was broken off when you were born?
Maybe you had only half your tail?

Anyways, the problem is that people try to make their charries SCARY, when all they're doing is making themselves seem stupid.

"Oh look, my name is Bloodyclaws, I'm a killer! Rawr!"
Pardon me, Ms/Mr. Bloodyclaws, your mother gave you the name Bloodykit when you were born?
Yea no.
Trans, gay, and ready to play

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 10:23:12 pm »
The only warrior cat names that really bug me are the "dark" ones. Things like CorruptedSoul, AntagonizingPain, MonsterousRevenge, etc.
I mean, not even the evil cats in the books had names like that.

As for Bisonstomp, I think that is a decent name.
The original Warrior Cats takes place in England. However that doesn't limit where WC rps can take place. At the moment I am part of a Warrior Cat roleplay that takes place in China.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »
The only warrior cat names that really bug me are the "dark" ones. Things like CorruptedSoul, AntagonizingPain, MonsterousRevenge, etc.
I mean, not even the evil cats in the books had names like that.

As for Bisonstomp, I think that is a decent name.
The original Warrior Cats takes place in England. However that doesn't limit where WC rps can take place. At the moment I am part of a Warrior Cat roleplay that takes place in China.

What I'm wondering is how you know that the original series takes place in England and not France, or Scotland, or Ireland, or Canada, or the US?

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.