Author Topic: Terrain.cfg Cannot Be Found  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Cybera

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • yeah
    • View Profile
    • Weasyl
Terrain.cfg Cannot Be Found
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:24:59 am »
OKAY, I'M SORRY FOR THE CAPS HERE BUT THIS HAS GOT TO STOP.

This has happened to me TWICE now.
The first time, my computer had just finished a disc/disk check and I assumed it had deleted the file.
But, it's happened again.

All day, FH was running normally, and I had spent all weekend working on the map. I was proud of it, I had ideas, plans, SO MUCH I wanted to do.
When I got home (I had been away from home all day w/ my laptop), I turned it on and opened FH. I noticed everything was reset. All my GUI options, my music volumes, my caret offset, even my login was reset. Everything got reset. I thought "Oh, that's odd." it had happened before, but I blew it off and continued on.
I went to open the map to take a screenshot for a friend who's co-running the up-coming rp this map will provide for.

And that, my friends, is when I got the message and spent a good 10 minutes actually crying because this is the THIRD TIME I have re-made this map.

Does anyone here have ANY IDEA why this happened? Or HOW I CAN GET MY MAP BACK?
The map is only 15,000 with a 1500 or so height. I had a LOT of trees, but not so many that I couldn't work without lag.
I... I'm just REALLY aggravated about this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:46:52 am by Cybera »

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain.cfg Cannot Be Found
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:37:06 am »
Take a gander at the link below. Hopefully it'll shed some light to this ordeal:

Click here.

Also, I thoroughly ask ye' to calm down. I understand yer frustration though swearin' and flippin' tables over the matter won't magically fix anythin' Ms.
gone

Offline Cybera

• Curious Wanderer
  • yeah
    • View Profile
    • Weasyl
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:53:14 am »
Take a gander at the link below. Hopefully it'll shed some light to this ordeal:

Click here.

Also, I thoroughly ask ye' to calm down. I understand yer frustration though swearin' and flippin' tables over the matter won't magically fix anythin' Ms.

Ah, thanks. I'll read over, though I'm unable to determine the issue entirely.
And I hadn't caught myself, so I went in and fixed any sort of words that would appear offensive in any situation.
But, thank you. I would, however, like some more insight.

Offline Cybera

• Curious Wanderer
  • yeah
    • View Profile
    • Weasyl
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:57:35 am »

Click here.

Sorry for the second quote/double post here, but I went to that link and where my problem is, it says to 'download this file from mediafire' but.. There's nothing to download. At all. Nothing there to help me, and I'm honestly getting really stressed out.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:08:25 am »
Ah, my apologies Ms. I didn't realize that until ye' pointed it out.

Have ye' exported the map prior to it's completion? I've found, after foragin' around on the forums, a quote from Ruby1234/xRubyx that stated the followin' to a user who had a problem similar to yers:

If you've exported maps, that "Unable to load..." thing comes up. There is no way to recover this file.
you'll have to redo your map, without exporting it until you are done, and maybe backup the .cfg file so this doesn't happen again. ;)
gone

Offline Cybera

• Curious Wanderer
  • yeah
    • View Profile
    • Weasyl
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:14:50 am »
Ah, my apologies Ms. I didn't realize that until ye' pointed it out.

Have ye' exported the map prior to it's completion? I've found, after foragin' around on the forums, a quote from Ruby1234/xRubyx that stated the followin' to a user who had a problem similar to yers:

If you've exported maps, that "Unable to load..." thing comes up. There is no way to recover this file.
you'll have to redo your map, without exporting it until you are done, and maybe backup the .cfg file so this doesn't happen again. ;)

The map has never been exported. In fact, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled FH a little while ago, everything is new (aside from some texture mods I have, nothing big.)
So.. I'll have to re-make it, then... I was so proud of it.. So many nice dens, a nice map in total, small but detailed... This will be the 4th time I've remade this particular map...

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:18:29 am »

Click here.

Sorry for the second quote/double post here, but I went to that link and where my problem is, it says to 'download this file from mediafire' but.. There's nothing to download. At all. Nothing there to help me, and I'm honestly getting really stressed out.

Aye, our apologies for that link. After looking into it, it actually hasn't been updated since July 2011, so it will have to be revised and looked into.

While I personally have not encountered this issue, there is definitely something causing your files to get jumbled or otherwise replaced or thrown back into default placing.

Just to make sure you start off with a clean slate, though, what I want you to do is back up any of your markings, maps, objects, items, etc., elsewhere on your computer, and then uninstall FH. Reinstall the full download, and then you can re-add those files as necessary so it will be customized to your desire as it had been.
If anything this will assure that all of your files are in working condition and properly placed. If the files were corrupted, I'm not certain that it will recover your map, but it is worth a try to see if a clean-slate game download will allow the map to load.

If not, let me know. It's also possible that there is something other than FH (such as a particularly intrusive anti-virus software) that might be trying to undo the changes done to it. This is only a guess, but try the first suggestion and see if this will help you.

Edit: Even if you have uninstalled/reinstalled lately, I still suggest trying this again, just to be safe. I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you twice, now. I hope this'll be the last time, though.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Cybera

• Curious Wanderer
  • yeah
    • View Profile
    • Weasyl
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:25:17 am »

Click here.

Aye, our apologies for that link. After looking into it, it actually hasn't been updated since July 2011, so it will have to be revised and looked into.

While I personally have not encountered this issue, there is definitely something causing your files to get jumbled or otherwise replaced or thrown back into default placing.

Just to make sure you start off with a clean slate, though, what I want you to do is back up any of your markings, maps, objects, items, etc., elsewhere on your computer, and then uninstall FH. Reinstall the full download, and then you can re-add those files as necessary so it will be customized to your desire as it had been.
If anything this will assure that all of your files are in working condition and properly placed. If the files were corrupted, I'm not certain that it will recover your map, but it is worth a try to see if a clean-slate game download will allow the map to load.

If not, let me know. It's also possible that there is something other than FH (such as a particularly intrusive anti-virus software) that might be trying to undo the changes done to it. This is only a guess, but try the first suggestion and see if this will help you.

Edit: Even if you have uninstalled/reinstalled lately, I still suggest trying this again, just to be safe. I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you twice, now. I hope this'll be the last time, though.

Thank you. I'll get around to this tomorrow afternoon. I'll backup what I can and try to fix what I can. If all else fails, I'll re-make the map entirely and back up the terrain file.
I've been trying to make this map for me and a friend's RP. The first map was 40,000. The second was around 20,000. This one was 15,000, to reduce lag but increase mass detail. Either way, thank you. This is more help than I'd have found on my own.