Author Topic: Illiterate People  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Chunky_Squirrel

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 125
  • Forever Flaming
    • View Profile
Illiterate People
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:41:04 am »
Okay, I know that thoes people are new and never Roleplayied before, but I'm gonna talk about 'em here on this thread.

Anyways.
You say you hate illeterate people, right?
Well maybe look at yourself, your illiterate at some point.
Don't just go and say "There illiterates! There noobs!" etc. etc.
Don't insult people, but help them learn how to Rp!

If they refuse the help now, they'll ask for it later.

Idk, if you understood anything here, but tell me your opinions.

(MOD's is this considered to be locked do it.)

Profile picture by me! ^.^
IM BACK!!!

Offline Dark Greyodon

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • I'm a ghost robot with rocket feet
    • View Profile
Re: Illiterate People
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:07:53 pm »
I totally agree. It's also not really any other user's business if a non-literate group is RP'ng happily with each other (my sister is non-literate, so I accommodate her and make my RP's very short and simple whenever I play with her, and I have had a couple of people come out of the blue and tell us to RP better).

If a non-literate asks for help, help them (please don't teach them wolfspeak) and be nice about it. Don't be an immature brat and call them "NOOB!!!11" or talk down on them because they're not as good as roleplaying as you.

If a non-literate DOESN'T ask for help, and they're not trying to join yours or someone else's literate/semi-literate group, leave them alone, it's not your responsibility to make sure all users RP in a way you consider acceptable.

Offline wolvesaregreat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • ?If you can't eat cookie on your own, call me!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:48:20 pm »
Agree. We should try to "fix" them by helping them. Sure, we aren't always willing to help and just want to relax and RP in our own style, but that doesn't mean we should insult them or block them like they want to kill us. In WolfQuest some guy went into multiplayer and shared with us information about going to google translate since he's Russian, but my friend found it kinda amusing. I laughed too but then realized there is nothing wrong with them just because they can't speak English. I'm just giving pointless example that not everyone is speaking English, nor they all are high enough grade in school to know how to RP properly. So just like I wrote up there, ignore them or help them. Insulting leads to nowhere and can even change them. Who knows, maybe powerplayers will accept and teach 'em all  they know and POOF! Large group of newbs leaded by usually noobs that are about to "kill" everyone on the server. Just saying. ._.
~*Build your dreams, do things that you want! If you don't, others will use you for their needs, for their lives, for their dreams...*~
?Also, join my snow leopard group. It's called ~*~Snow Leopards~*~ and you can find it on Adversiting Board too!?

Offline DeadlyWolfQueen

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • I am but a piece of a much larger puzzle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:35:11 am »
Yes, I believe that is a wonderful idea. Though they 'illiterate noobs' you speak of, I more aim that title toward those who refuse to learn of take example or that bash on the literates for their like-ing-ness of the literacy. it has happened many times. Then, since I have a temper of my own, I will either take my leave from them or vent the anger that builds. It is a bad habit. 

Offline Vask

• #2FAB4U
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Chaotic Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 05:00:55 am »
I completely agree with what you are trying to say here. I remember clearly what it was like when I was brand new(and it wasn't a pretty sight). But we give these people less credit and recognition then they deserve. People constantly try to avoid "illiterates" because they think they're "n00bs". I strongly disagree with people that do these things. I find joy in helping these newer members roleplay and fit into the community.

I strongly encourage others to help out with new members as well, seeing you are only doing good for the community as a whole. If you encounter a newer member asking for roleplay assistance, people should offer as much help as needed until this person feels comfortable. Also(as mentioned before), never force people to roleplay your way and your way only. Make sure you give them a variety of roleplay styles to try. It is possible that the newer member will refuse to get help or even lash out at you. If this should occur, people should not immediately go, "OMG I WILL REPORT YOU, ILLITERATE N00B!!". Simply tell them that this is perfectly fine, and that you will assist them whenever they feel the need for some.

Furthermore, bullying the newer members is never something to turn to. Putting them down and making them feel unimportant will only teach them to dislike the help of members-maybe even FH all together. Never brag or boast about your role playing abilities either. Not only is it childish, but it is down right rude. All members within the community are and should be treated equal. I could go on and on about this, but I'll just leave it as is.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:09:33 am by Vask »

Offline Chunky_Squirrel

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 125
  • Forever Flaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:50:56 am »
I'm glad that people agree with me. ^.^

Profile picture by me! ^.^
IM BACK!!!

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:11:29 am »
Matter of fact, not all 'literate' labeled packs shun the 'illiterate' labeled people. I know of a few that are perfectly happy to a) talk to them casually and b) point them in the right direction if need be.

There are also a few that do not take in many members, but don't discriminate between the level of 'literacy'when they do, instead helping people with their language skills, and such.

That said, those that completely reject 'illiterate' labeled RPers do exist...

:3

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 12:24:59 pm »
This is why I log-off sometimes.

I can't stand the people nagging me to ignore the 'ill-literate'.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Lukas245

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • You Shall Not Touch My Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 01:38:08 pm »
I truly agree, its mostly all the literates judging us, how will we learn correctly if we are shamed upon by them? Thats why

Wolfspeak has mostly been happening- illiterates, such as myself, don't know what wolfspeak is at the first point and start

using it because it seemed fancy to them and they think they can be a literate now because of all fancy words, truly only

making them worse at general rp. If the literates could open up in open paws, I would hop right in. I WANT to be taught

properly, I WANT to learn, I WANT to be able to RP as good as them, but this time, open up in full arms to any illiterates.

'Its like that dog you couldn't keep because you neglected it and didn't care for it'

That is a post I made a little ago on my own topic of the problem of the Literates shaming the Illiterates- and this came to

mind. This is what came to mind, thats what the literates people do to us illiterates. Seem as they care for a bit and

neglect us and throw us out like a piece of trash.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:37:44 pm by WolfInCourt »
I used to be WolfInCourt on the forums, but just call me Kuesuto now or Kue.
FH Username:Lukas245
IW Username:WolfinHeulen
WolfSoul Username: Kuesuto
           See you soon~
[img/]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/077/e/d/dubstep_art_by_bronyswag-d5yfnkr.png[/img]

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:10 am »
Everyone here does make good points. Here's my little contribution to the discussion.

I abhor the terms 'literate' and 'illiterate'. I actually think it's derogatory on both sides, since literacy is the ability to read and write regardless of your level of roleplay. Of course, I don't have a clue what sort of terms could be used in place of these, but I still do think it's silly.

Onto the actual matter at hand, I completely disagree with looking down on people with perhaps not as much experience in roleplay as yourself. Everyone is equal no matter how advanced their English is, and I'm genuinely astonished whenever I see people looking down on others.

A lot of the time, mistakes are made on both sides. There are people on either side who reject the other, but I most often see it in those who consider themselves 'literate'. Personally I just think it requires a bit of integration. I picked up my current roleplaying skills from simply watching others, but had I been included a bit more at the time, it might have gone quicker.

Still, I don't think that it's necessarily a problem to begin with. We make it a problem, most of the time. They're having fun and unless it directly affects you, I don't believe there should ever be any issues letting people roleplay however they like. Besides, sometimes trying to correct people can seem very rude, especially in the eyes of whoever you're trying to help. xD

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA